Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: One Corvette,. A sequel to Two Corvettes.  (Read 24466 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: One Corvette,. A sequel to Two Corvettes.
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2016, 08:56:16 pm »

Cripes, a whole book full of hints and tips there Mr Nautilus. The technique for doing plating detail is a star. It is similar though more obvious in effect to the use of filler primer that some modellers use to simulate plates. I will try the filler technique out on future ships. Thanks for sharing  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2016, 09:09:01 pm »

You are more than welcome, it is always nice to share!
More interesting stuff to come on this thread, I have seen the Trailers :}

(referring to movie trailers of course, not boxes on wheels..)
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2016, 10:16:30 pm »

Coming to a forum on model boats near you........
Pond weed is your enemy

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2016, 10:05:52 pm »

Previously, at One Corvette; Cardboard Funnel.

I replaced the original funnel on the model as it was too small a diameter, and looked all out of place. I had two options available to me, one was an old plastic tube for storing drawings in, the other being a thick cardboard tube. For some reason that still escapes me, I went for the cardboard tube!
First it had four coats of sanding sealer applied, to help waterproof it, and help disguise the spiral, toilet tube look, associated with cardboard tubes..it was not from a loo roll!
Then this was treated to a similar technique to that which produced the plating effects, only on a more subtle level. Using two layers of masking tape and plastic kit filler, in this case Squadron Products Green Filler. I produced a plated effect, which is there but difficult to see.
Also, it is very helpful if you know someone with a 3D printer. Request placed for a funnel cap, following a quick sketch covering parameters, such as fitting inside the cardboard tube etc, and I awaited its arrival.
Very nice to be able to do this, and much appreciated. However, when it arrived, it certainly needed some fettling! You have to dig the item out of the 'swarf' that surrounds it, good fun actually.
Following the addition of steam pipes, whistles, ladders etc, plus little eyelets for later, when proper wire stays will be fitted to the deck, it was out with the spray paint and dry fit it in place.
Happy with that..onwards.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2016, 11:23:00 pm »

I have found some photos of the first part of the build. They show the funnel with filler on it, yet to be rubbed down. Also, I didn't use Green Filler but a standard Humbrol Model Filler, it's grey, not green!
The photos also show the rather brutal mod that I carried out to move the superstructure back 2". It had been built slightly too far forward, and I really needed to move it. Luckily, it came off clean in one part. A quick re-bonding exercise followed, allowing me to run the corvette at our next Canoe Lake show at Southsea. This was the first time they let me be a corvette driver, much fun was had, also very helpful that I knew the commentary off by heart. Should do, I wrote it :-)) .

My other boat is a German Pre-Dreadnought battleship, never won a battle, not one <:(

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2016, 11:28:10 pm »

I needed a transmitter suitable to control the extra functions the corvette will be fitted with. I have a bit of a collection of sets, including 2.4G stuff. Instead, I have opted for a 40Mhz set, a Robbe Futaba FC16 Boat and Truck set. I have married it up to a Futaba 8ch Dual Conversion Rx...however, I had to do some mods, couldn't leave it alone..

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2016, 11:45:49 pm »

Today my first job was to drill and fit the anchor hawse pipes. Plotting the centre from my set of plans, I started by drilling 3mm dia holes, straight in to the hull and deck at 90 degs. I then marked a visual guide, to what I assumed would be the line for the drill to follow. If I did a visual line up, with the two lines appearing to be one line, I could use this to get part of the angle correct, while best guessing the other angle, with a little bit of help from others.
This all looked very clever, until I realised, I could put another pair of lines on the hull and deck, also do a visual line up on these, as before, but they followed a different line, so, I just drilled the holes. Got them nearly on target with a 4mm drill bit, then worked up in 1mm increments, until I got to a 8mm diameter drill bit. This matched the brass tube and lined up with my original marks, so all was good. The jury is, however, still out on my line up method...

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2016, 11:53:28 pm »

This was followed by fitting the brass hawse pipes. Firstly I got the lower angle correct, by marking with a pencil, and then using a bench grinder to get the angle correct. These were then dry fitted and the upper cut line marked with a pencil. This line had to be hack sawed, rather than ground down, too short to safely hold now. I left the pipes slightly proud, so I could do my filler trick again. They were then secured with cyano glue, with a quick spray of activator after about 60 seconds. This gives the glue time to wick properly into the joint before going off.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2016, 11:58:20 pm »

I suffered a little bit of damage on the doubler plate around the starboard hawse pipe. I was a bit too eager with the removal of the masking tape. I shall make it good with air drying filler during the coming week.
Test fitting the white metal anchors, resulted in an excess of twisting of the anchor to fit snugly up the pipe. Still, no one can see it once it is in the hawse pipe :embarrassed:

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2016, 12:03:23 am »

Porthole 'wiggles' next. I had some stainless wire, which I wound round an 8mm dia drill bit. From this I cut thirteen replacements for the portholes lost in the bow filler job previously. These were cyano glued in place, mostly straight (!), and will have a final fairing in with Humbrol Plastic Filler later this week.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2016, 12:05:12 am »

Happy with the result so far..

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2016, 12:14:26 am »

Final job today was to start planning the new superstructure build. Working from the Lambert plans, I was scaling up 1:1.4. However, the hull is over 20mm too wide, so I had to add 'a little' to the width, while retaining the lengths as calculated.
While working on the forward gun platform, an interesting something came to light. It seems the entire gun platform is slightly off centre, more port than starboard. It is not by much, about 7 to 8mm, but it is there. I assume it has something to do with the starboard mounted Hedgehog launcher. The gun itself is on the centre line though. It's quirky, I like it, it's staying..
And that is it for the time being.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2016, 05:27:48 am »

UBN.......the plan looks contradictory .......it would suggest that the axis of the mounting is on line with further aft references, together with the aix of the foredeck plating

What is apparent from the plan view is that the foredeck plating is not symmetrical with the axis of the vessel relative to the sides of the mounting platform.......so is the mounting sides distances different?.....I cannot see it from the image of the plan

I would agree to believe the gun mounting axis was on the same axis of the vessel....irrespective of what the plan suggests 

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2016, 11:05:25 pm »

Having checked the plan, the entire gun platform is a scale 12" offset from the centre line. It seems not enough to be worth the effort for any shipyard. I can see no reason for it. Luckily, I have a different set of drawings, by another draughtsman, in the book Anatomy of the Ship Agassiz. A Modified Flower is featured near the end of the book, this shows the forward gun platform arranged down the centre line of the vessel.
There are still some anomalies concerning the placement of the Hedgehog launcher. However, with a seventy plus year old design, plus the sheer number of variations in the class, I think I can understand the problems in producing definitive plans for us to work from.
Many ( many ) years ago, I knocked up a set of plans for the Soviet Navies Osa I and Osa II missile boats, just for me you understand. Little useful information was available at he time. It would be interesting to see how they hold up against, say the latest Merit models of the same vessels. Considering the Chinese have variations of the vessels preserved as museum ships now, ripe for inspection by anyone with a tape measure.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2016, 09:34:57 pm »

Back to the grind. Over the week I added some fore deck detail, mostly what had been there before, following a bit of a spruce up. I was impressed with the jackstaff originally fitted. It was steel with about 12mm drilled into the deck. Seemed a shame to waste it, so back it went. I also spray primered the new bows, as there was a chance the model would be going in the water on Friday. This didn't happen, but the primer coat allowed me to see the imperfections in the filler work. I have yet to make that good however..

She does look nice though...soon fix that <*< literally!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2016, 09:46:16 pm »

Part of my big refits goal is to up the waterproof standards of the model. This will allow me to play in the 'rough stuff' from time to time. It has been many a year since I had a really waterproof model for that sort of fun! My SS Ohio is waterproof enough, I am just a little scared of stressing the two hull connection points between the three sections of the model. Don't want to do serious damage to her just for a play on the lake.
So my rough weather boats will be Snowflake and U37.
To this end, a bulkhead needed to be fitted, just aft of the main superstructure. The previous bulkhead is only about 12mm high, adequate, but not good enough for me :} .
I first made up a cardboard template, from this, a bulkhead was cut from an offcut of fibreglass sheet. This was bonded in with my favourite product 'green s**t'....that's not its name, see previous posts for a proper description. Finally, I used a coffee stirrer to provide a nice radiused fillet of the green stuff, up the bulkhead joint..must pinch more of those..

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2016, 09:58:16 pm »

The aft deck has a hatch to the rudder. This currently has the safety and test circuit for the underwater charges that this model is fitted with. However, one of the LEDs has failed, and I do not like its position on this low deck. So, It is being moved up a deck. At the same time, I have plans for an extra 'function' on this deck. If it works, it will be very cool. If it does not, the switches are going back on and I shall not speak if it again!!
So, stage one. Replace the deck with one made of Tufnol. Strong and also electrically insulated, could be useful ;)

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2016, 09:59:47 pm »

Doesn't she look nice?
This didn't last.......

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2016, 10:51:40 pm »

Yes UBN....looks excellent  :-)).....just what are the two copper tubes leading down to either side the rudder?.......

Could these be......"I have plans for an extra 'function' on this deck" ?

Are the exit port of the tubes underwater? :o...

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2016, 11:00:23 pm »

The tubes could be a......a magneto hydrodynamic drive..but they are not!
They are used to tow two simulated depth charges, these are streamed between 50cm and 1m aft of the stern. Then fired to produce a column of water to represent a depth charge attack on an enemy U-Boat.

The new function is related to our submarine attack....in some way.......

....... ok2

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2016, 11:06:59 pm »

Part of the conversion from Snowberry to Snowflake involves the replacement of the entire bridge structure. I have been putting this off as I wanted to keep the model available if needed, for any upcoming club events. The last of these has passed, so I have run out of excuses to avoid moving to the next stage of construction...So, it was out with the hammer and chisel!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2016, 11:17:58 pm »

Next job was to cut an extra hatch. this will be under the new forward superstructure and fitted with fibreglass hatch coamings. Also, I needed to straighten out a dip in the deck, before bonding in the coamings. I epoxied a length of oak under the deck, while clamping to a temporary above deck cross beam, all to help drag everything into place. It looked great, I forgot to photograph it!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2016, 11:24:23 pm »

The four sides of the fibreglass hatch coamings were a tight push fit, then cyano glued in position. Finally, I mixed an epoxy/bulking agent mix, which was filleted into the joint using my patented stirring stick and a wet finger :-)) .
While mixing epoxy, I also added a mahogany strip to the top of the big bulkhead fitted earlier. It didn't need it, but looked better with it fitted.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2016, 11:27:25 pm »

Epoxy/bulking agent..very good :-))

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2016, 11:37:31 pm »

With the destruction over, everything that follows is construction. All that is left is a very rough mock up of what Snowflake will look like, using existing bits. Squint and imagine!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.