Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: One Corvette,. A sequel to Two Corvettes.  (Read 24524 times)

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: One Corvette,. A sequel to Two Corvettes.
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2016, 11:39:13 pm »

You know those types? The ones with the tee shirt that says 'GENIUS AT WORK'. Well, I am sending mine back..doesn't fit! I have got my 'Proud Member of THE GUILD OF VILLAGE IDIOTS' one back out..perfect fit. I shall explain..
I decided that today was silicone moulding day. I have been preparing a number of items for moulding. Not just for the corvette, but for SS Ohio and a friends model of MV Southsea.
Here is an overview of the items, all in their nice little boxes. I was initially going to mould without any release agent. Then, I was going to use a silicone release spray for PU Rubber. Then I decided to check online first, just in case..Good job really, DON'T use silicone release spray with silicone rubber, after that, many options exist, from using nothing to using many different things. I opted for a beeswax based furniture polish, lightly sprayed on, brushed about a bit, and left for a while.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2016, 11:49:23 pm »

I have a range of items to mould, including a carley float, made from plastic rod, heat formed into two 'U' shapes, then glued together and strung up. I could have bought them, but where is the challenge?
Also, 3D printed bollards and fairleads, get someone else to do the tedious stuff (Shapeways}, then mould them. When the mould is shot, do it again, nice..
Oil tank hatches for SS Ohio, I still need 22, so moulding five seemed a good idea.
The two dark green seats top left, are Hornby Station Benches, but with the addition of two fully strung liferafts under each, these are for MV Southsea. Orange if memory serves me well??!
Also, some very old Aerokits Fairleads, I had them and needed to fill the box. I am not planning on selling them so shouldn't cause any upset to anyone.
A nameplate for SS Ohio, made out of Slaters plastic lettering, and my most ambitious item, the 20mm Oerlikon gun shield. Plus a turned Aluminium base for the gun, plus about seven assorted ammo boxes.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2016, 11:59:31 pm »

Okay, Village Idiot bit. You know, when you read on something 'Use Within Six Months', and you think , that's only a guide, surely? It is, but it doesn't mean use within six months, but you should be okay with four and a half years, just cos it's you %) .
What happens when you accurately measure out the best part of the tin, onto a set of digital scales, purchased for the job, I must add. Drop in the required 11 grams of hardener. Start stirring, trying to get a good mix throughout the pot. Even brush a bit on the carley float in all the hard to get to bits...and then within 90 seconds it starts to set. Within 3 minutes it was all over bar the swearing and blaming everyone else. I now own a rubber lump on a stick :-)) .
Fresh stuff ordered for delivery later next week, must buy a cat so I can kick it.

Not really, I like cats.

Getting a hamster, they're just stupid...I can ask it advice on model making :-)

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2016, 12:02:02 am »

Ohh, forgot this bit.

Lump Of Rubber On A Stick, I am so proud..

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2016, 12:09:45 am »

Lump Of Rubber On A Stick, I am so proud..

Sell it on fleabay - maybe a genuine Village Idiot will buy it. {-)

Regards,

Ray.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2016, 12:13:17 am »

We could have a presentation, with flags and stuff, a sort of passing on of the flame type of thing..
"From one village idiot to another, I present thee...." etc, that could work. Collection only, of course!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2017, 10:48:28 pm »

So, the silicone is now confirmed as being VERY old, about six years in fact. Following three more attempts at varying the mix, all are curing in about eight to fifteen minutes. Rather than cry into my tea about it, I have decided to put it to good use.
My hull penetrating tubes for towing underwater depth charge effects, let water in when going astern in choppy water. What I need are a couple of rubber bungs. Thanks to a pack of nic nacs bought from Hunter Systems about three years ago, I have a suitable mould. These appear to be some sort of lid for something. Now they are bung moulds..
First attempt failed, air trapped, second attempt failed, less air trapped, third attempt, I cut the bottom of the ice cream cone off and let the rubber flow. Success.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2017, 06:57:24 pm »

Yup, I did the silicone release spray onto RTV and wasted £70.00 of rubber and spent an hour cutting the masters out  <*<

If I could have bent my leg around to kick myself down the street and back I would have. Still, your masters look great and your progress on the main build is impressive so fret not and don't harm any hamsters:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2017, 01:52:06 pm »

Hamster amnesty still in force.
Decent silicone arrived on 4th Jan. I have been pouring, waiting, pouring, waiting, and after a couple of days per mould, de-moulding. All has gone well.
I started with the two part resin a couple of days ago. Practice makes perfect, the first ones out went in the bin!
Air bubbles were the cause, as expected. I don't have a vacuum chamber and the rapid cure time of this resin probably rules out the use of some sort of shaker. So, it was down to learning where they hide and chasing them out with a cocktail stick. Now I am getting the hang of it.
The best bit by far, the 20mm gun shield and supports have come out fine, that will save time now, plus give me the option of easily produced spare parts, if they break in service.

The trick now is knowing when to stop :}

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2017, 04:22:58 pm »

Alan,
I've sometimes painted the resin in to the fine detail ares, then poured in the remaining resin, to reduce blow holes, it helps when doing this to be in a cooler place as it will help Increase the curing time. But you will still need to be quick.
Regards David

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2017, 05:30:10 pm »

That's quite an impressive display of moulded items. Good to see and just goes to show what can be achieved with decent materials, and good masters of course. :-)

Regards,

Ray.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2017, 05:38:21 pm »

Alan,
I've sometimes painted the resin in to the fine detail ares, then poured in the remaining resin, to reduce blow holes, it helps when doing this to be in a cooler place as it will help Increase the curing time. But you will still need to be quick.

I have been using small shot glasses for measuring quantities. This has proved quicker than pipettes, that I used last time round the block. What I have found is that this is a quick method to turn around mixes of resin. If needed, my first mix could be a brushing in coat as described. Before this fully cures, I could have the second mix ready to pour on to the prepared surfaces of the mould.

That's quite an impressive display of moulded items. Good to see and just goes to show what can be achieved with decent materials, and good masters of course. :-)

Regards,

Ray.

Many thanks. It proves that it is worth the preparation time in producing these fittings. Even with all the time involved in preparing the masters, making the boxes, and finally pouring and waiting for the silicone to cure. I feel it is still faster than producing all these items individually. I may well be a convert :-))

Korp1010

• Full Mayhemer
  • Hard a Starboard!
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2017, 06:10:57 pm »

Hello

Those moulded items look great, could I please ask where you get your silicone rubber to make the moulds and the resin to cast the items?

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2017, 06:54:22 pm »

I got my polyester resin from Sylmasta, www.sylmasta.com. It is called Polycast Casting Resin G26.
However, the silicone came from Easy Composites, www.easycomposites.co.uk. It is called CS2 Condensation Cure Silicone Rubber. In future I shall also get my casting resin from them. Theirs is called Xencast P6 and looks to be a bit cheaper. Also bundling the two together should help with p&p costs.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2017, 10:57:34 pm »

Having spent well over an hour trying to locate all six brass 20mm guns. I found three, then lost one, then found four, but couldn't find the first two, which were now in a safe place..anyway. Time to marry them up with the resin parts. They are not super detail items, but I am most chuffed with the look of them.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2017, 11:00:21 pm »

I couldn't resist fitting a pair of them on the model, along with four Carley Floats. It does look a bit of a work in progress, with everything scattered about the deck, mostly as it is a work in progress :-)

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2017, 12:54:24 pm »

Absobloodylutely top quality work, old chap...very impressive.

(Our hamsters (Sid with an I and Syd with a Y) are pleased to note that they will still be safe...)
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2017, 02:07:06 pm »

Absobloodylutely top quality work, old chap...very impressive.

(Our hamsters (Sid with an I and Syd with a Y) are pleased to note that they will still be safe...)

I am working my way up from small furry mammals now...any squid lovers here??!

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2017, 02:22:39 pm »

I am working my way up from small furry mammals now...any squid lovers here??!

"small furry animals"...wasn't that a Pink Floyd track? Way back in the days of Ummagumma?
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2017, 06:08:26 pm »

Sorry to make you feel old, but I only discovered The Floyd after Pulse Live at Earls Court. On the recommendation of a work colleague..best thing he ever did!! So, now I save the early stuff for when I am working with very smelly glue, it kinda all meshes   on       a spiritual           level   man                ....

:o

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2017, 06:10:05 pm »

and                      .......

Where was I?

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2017, 09:46:53 pm »

Way out flower chile'  %%   Having the guns at different angles is attractive. I can imagine them firing at a Fockw Wolf 200!

Pond weed is your enemy

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2017, 11:35:31 pm »

I noticed that 20mm guns are often at rest at a high, often vertical angle. This also helps when moving the model about, less stuff to snag!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2017, 02:09:22 pm »

Good idea. A friend of mine at club said at around the time I joined that he did not like military vessels because it seemed like something got broken off every time you moved the model anywhere! I can understand this with models of capital ships with all the AA weapons and mine net arrays etc all clamouring to be snagged.

Pond weed is your enemy

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2019, 11:47:34 pm »

Hello Two Years Later :-)) . My excuse as follows; In some of the posts you can see me doing the messy stuff at our clubhouse in Eastney. We got booted out of there in August 2017, and we spent the last four months refurbing one of the Display Teams explodey merchant ships, so Snowflake went on the back burner. We moved to the Royal Marines Museum in Eastney temporarily, but were unable to undertake any smelly, dusty or dirty work there. So we just pottered on doing Poldark and stuff, and I build a Martian War Machine out of trash.
We moved into Explosion in Gosport March through April 2018, opening to the public in May. The new site had a static display for the public, a store area AND a workshop. So me and my mate spent last summer building a 78" tall Steampunk robot called Boilerplate ( look him up, he really existed.......... %) ), and I refurbed an Our Lass 2 into Boll Weevil 2. Then we got kicked out last autumn! However, we are now in a longer term home where stuff can be made, mess can be created, and the creative juices can flow again. We are currently refurbing our big Mulberry harbour complex in time for the D-Day 75 commemorations, and I have started working on HMS Snowflake again, and very happy it is making me :-))
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 22 queries.