Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: One Corvette,. A sequel to Two Corvettes.  (Read 24479 times)

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: One Corvette,. A sequel to Two Corvettes.
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2019, 11:56:07 pm »

So, the next job was a new superstructure, out of plasticard. Now I am no fan of plasticard, preferring the feel of 1/16 and 1/32 ply for superstructure builds. So, I decided to use plasticard, cos I don't like it!
I am fast becoming a fan of this nasty, white, smooth, easy to glue, easy to paint material..

I have assembled the three deck houses of the 'almost' Modified Flower Class as separate sections that slot together. This should aid detailing and painting when I get to that stage. I have been on this build for just over a week now, and I am impressed with how easily plasticard can go together if you are accurate with your cuts, use a square and decent sanding/filing equipment etc.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2019, 11:59:49 pm »

I never miss an opportunity to dress up the model for the photos. Either with the new resin parts, or the salvaged fittings from the original Snowberry build.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2019, 12:05:42 am »

The low level shield curving round the forward gun platform is a good advert for the ease of use of plasticard. I made this part out of two laminated layers of 0.5mm plasticard, bonding the first one in place, and within a few minutes attaching the second layer. Once it had cured, it has proved to be properly strong, if maybe just a bit too thick! I shall disguise it and no one shall know!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2019, 12:11:03 am »

The white, semi opaque nature of the superstructure has been playing havoc with my white balance on the camera, daytime or night, it comes out as a big bright blob. The sooner it has a primer coat on the sooner I will be a bit happier. Still, lots of fiddly bits to go on before that.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2019, 12:17:45 am »

I have settled on HMS Snowflakes 1945 guise, which includes 6x20mm Oerlikon guns scattered, defensively, around the ship. The extra platforms, bullet proof shielding, and simple camouflage scheme, won me over in the end. This is where I am tonight, apart from a motor mount and Olympus belt drive, which is causing me issues..but more of that later.
The other two photos show Snowflake entering Portsmouth harbour in 1945 flying her paying off pennant, and represent her final wartime configuration.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2019, 01:42:01 am »

ubn......a little off thread.........where did they store the 4" projectiles for the main gun on the Flower Class?

Those 2 hinged lid steel box's  just behind the gun don't appear to be waterproof, sound or of sufficient volume........or what is that a waterproof bulkhead [door] on axis under the bridge?....[the 4" live magazine?.....but partially blocked by one of those tin lidded boxs]

So are these 4" projectiles [second image] that have been loaded into the for action rotary magazine [presumably, just before engagement or action?]

NB......WIKI lists the 4" projectile as a 'Shell' and of 14.1 kg each........with the magazine as shown, the mounting may have needed 4 man minimum in an action scenario

If the live magazine is behind that waterproof bulkhead, one of the steel lidded box's may need to be moved a little to the port side

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2019, 09:17:18 am »

Morning Derek. Right, item one, until I have glued things down, you can consider locker placement as just temporary, mostly to get me motivated for the next part of the build! The Bertie Bassett looking black and white hatch is a plastic offcut, from a bag of plastic offcuts that I purchased at a show recently, just trying it out for shape and size only!

The second image shows the ready use 4" shell racks which were standard on the early Flowers, I am still looking for any reference that they were still used on the Modifieds or even the Castle Class. That will be enough confirmation to place them back into position on the new gun platform.

Checking My Anatomy of The Ship book on Agassiz, the drawing for the Modified Flowers show an ammunition hatch on the main deck, just in front of the lower bridge structure and directly below the gun platform.This leads down through two decks of crew accommodation, finally reaching the 4" shell room, down in the bottom of the ship. There is also an access hatch and ladder down from the gun platform to the main deck. This and a series of lockers are clustered just to port of the centreline, where my Bertie Basset is currently located. These include two different sizes of 4" RU lockers, plus a Hedgehog RU locker which is a different shape to the two that are on the port wing structure.
The different apparent shapes of these lockers point to the Hedgehog and 4" shells being stored in bits, then assembled? Or are they just big and small lockers with the munitions already assembled for use?

All good fun...

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2019, 10:01:44 am »

Don't know whether you've seen this. It may be of use for the gun deck plan. http://www.rogerlitwiller.com/books/white-ensign-flying/bonus-material-white-ensign-flying/hmcs-trentonian-ships-plans/
Tony.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2019, 10:05:19 am »

ubn......

There is a photograph [somewhere] of the 4" projectiles [12 x pointy end up] in a wooden lined steel box being loaded by shore crane onto the Foredeck of a Flower Class vessel.....[this would have been approx a 200 kg box lift]

I understand they would have stored in a shell room, pointy end down ....then [as needed] each projectile would have been fitted with an Impact Fuse [similar to a 303 bullet] in the blind end of the shell casing....so these were then live projectiles & moved to the live magazine

[Only a guess, but I suspect the live projectiles came out from the waterproof bulkhead on the gun deck level and just aft of the gun]

Due the the shape of the projectile, they were a 1 man lift from the live magazine to the rotary horizontal storage around the open mount ...

So @ some 14 Kg each projectile would have been hard YAKKA  <*< for the Sailors in the Gun Mount Crew

Looking forward to your continued build

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2019, 11:29:05 am »

Don't know whether you've seen this. It may be of use for the gun deck plan. http://www.rogerlitwiller.com/books/white-ensign-flying/bonus-material-white-ensign-flying/hmcs-trentonian-ships-plans/
Tony.

Some really useful information there, cheers. It looks like the 4" rounds are probably stored in the lockers only, rather than the racks around the platform. Also, I may have to break the breakwater away and re-do it...too much information, not always a good thing!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2019, 11:38:06 am »

Motor change out. When I got the model originally, it had a Decaperm fitted. Don't like them, too noisy, so I took it out. Replaced it with a Johnson 600 ( always popular with the readership! ), with a 6:1 reduction gearbox on the end. It proved a good combination, except at slow speed, hunting submarines, in our displays..you could hear it resonating through the hull, and it was annoying!
So, after considering a Graupner Brushless upgrade, which I talked myself out of, still not convinced that such a tiddly motor will do what I want, I opted for a 70 turn crawler motor on an old Olympus belt drive. This has a 2.3:1 reduction ratio and is nice and quiet. However, my first Olympus to hand had a rusted solid bearing, and had melted the outer casing, as had the second one! I think I had salvaged them out of an old scrapper without properly checking them first.
Luckily, I had a third one, unfortunately it had the older 1/4UNF thread rather than the newer M6 threads of the later units. Luckily, I had an old 1/4UNF coupling end, so all is good with the world again!
And it gave me the chance to work with some wood again for the motor mount %)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2019, 11:47:03 am »

Sorry about that!

The US mod's of the Canadian ones used deck lockers only, at least as far as I could see, for the 4" gun and that's how I worked on my 1:144 model of USS Intensity.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2019, 12:23:06 pm »

Sorry about that!

The US mod's of the Canadian ones used deck lockers only, at least as far as I could see, for the 4" gun and that's how I worked on my 1:144 model of USS Intensity.

Not your fault chap, I had my suspicions I had done that bit wrong, looking at the drawings just confirmed it.
I think I have got to the bottom of the ready use rounds in their individual holders around the gun deck. Looking through my many photos, I have found a number of pictures of an early Flower, with the crew working the gun. I did not take into account that the early gun platforms were not connected to any other deck, being stand alone upstands. They had no space for easily accessible lockers, so needed the RU rounds to be close at hand. The only option being individual shells around the gun deck edge. The later ships, having the enlarged gun decks, had space and easy access for the big RU lockers.
All makes sense in my head anyway!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2019, 03:07:35 pm »

Error mostly made good. My breakwaters are now angled back a bit more. The forward gun platform now has a weather shield below it ( let's call it that anyway..), and I am now waiting for one part plastic filler to set off, so Snorkers and The Cruel Sea in my immediate future, while that ever so slowly sets hard ;)

And, boy, did that old breakwater put up a fight..didn't want to come off!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2019, 10:37:23 pm »

Happy days. Bow breakwater now looking much more accurate. I also have a couple of mint shaped hatches for the ammunition hatches, which are directly below each other, with a davit in attendance. All to feed the 4" gun. All discovered thanks to Mayhem and input from its members. Good stuff indeed!

gerritv

• Restoring G07 1:72 model
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2019, 11:33:25 pm »

Here is a link to detail photo of 4" shell storage:
1-  https://www.facebook.com/rogerlitwiller/photos/a.346620075385326/1856312391082746/?type=3&theater
2 - https://www.facebook.com/rogerlitwiller/photos/p.1927157830664868/1927157830664868/?type=1&theater

The 4" ammunition was not separate on Tribals but seems to have been case and shell separate on Flower Class?. (The 4.7" Tribals were definitely separate).

You will also find https://www.hnsa.org/manuals-documents/ordnance-gunnery-and-fire-control/ for the BR257 and BR932 books very handy for enabling you to spend hours on further detailing :-) I accept no responsibility for any potential detours in your building time.

Gerrit

HMCS Athabaskan G07 1:72

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2019, 08:33:26 am »

Here is a link to detail photo of 4" shell storage:
1-  https://www.facebook.com/rogerlitwiller/photos/a.346620075385326/1856312391082746/?type=3&theater
2 - https://www.facebook.com/rogerlitwiller/photos/p.1927157830664868/1927157830664868/?type=1&theater

The 4" ammunition was not separate on Tribals but seems to have been case and shell separate on Flower Class?. (The 4.7" Tribals were definitely separate).

You will also find https://www.hnsa.org/manuals-documents/ordnance-gunnery-and-fire-control/ for the BR257 and BR932 books very handy for enabling you to spend hours on further detailing :-) I accept no responsibility for any potential detours in your building time.

Gerrit

Thanks for that, truly it will keep me busy!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2019, 09:22:17 pm »

Today I realised I was being held up in the construction,as my three decks are still un-attached,and I need to start bonding them in place.So,internal detail was needed on the chart room/radio room.
I installed a dividing wall,some general clutter in roughly the right places,plus two holes in the floor! These are to let the 'pings' out! To aid the pings escape into the world at large,I will be omitting the glazing on this deck..if it was good enough for George Lucas,it is good enough for me. ( for those unaware of that reference, back in the Star Wars/Empire Strikes Back days,the effects models did not use glazing, as a reflection off of the high gloss surface would cause a 'hole' to appear in the model when blue screen/matte effects were applied...so what's good for the goose..)

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2019, 09:27:10 pm »

Support struts are a bane of my life. They look good but snap off far too easily, and I have not been looking forward to this bit. But,if I take it one stage at a time, allowing drying time between adding parts, I am hoping it all goes swimmingly.
My plan is to hang the basic strut first, once dry, back it with some square section, finally beefing everything up with a triangular fillet or similar..the job begins.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2019, 09:30:14 pm »

Final job of the day, some Milliput flak padding for the bridge wings. Once set I shall lift a silicone mould off of these.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2019, 02:58:15 pm »

Charthouse now primered and a bit of internal colour to make it look all up and together. The radio room is all finished to represent wood cladding, while the other rooms have basic grey walls. Tables got a dose of the wood effect also. This uses Revell Aquacolor paints, one a red brown, the other a sort of ochre. These were put on, red brown first, then the ochre while the red brown was still damp. Finally a bit more of the red brown to blend it all in the direction of 'the grain'. After that had cured  I went over with a Humbrol Dark Brown oil based wash, not too heavy, mind.
Then I just picked out some other colours for things, bearing in mind not much will be visible when it is all together.
I also took the opportunity to mould some more deck lockers off.

gerritv

• Restoring G07 1:72 model
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2019, 03:04:38 pm »

Excellent. You could always add some internal lighting? Would add some oomph when on static display.
My dad did that on his models of Endeavour, Nonsuch and a Statenjacht. In those days it was grain-of-wheat bulbs, LEDS are so much better.
HMCS Athabaskan G07 1:72

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2019, 03:20:01 pm »

Bilge keels next. These were a bit of a pig to install but they are now fitted.
I used an odd, slightly fibrous plastic for these. About 3mm thick, it has a bit of flex to it, which I hope will prove resilient over time.
One keel was offered up and the hull marked. I abraded the smile into the hull, as I need as good a bonding surface as possible for a plastic keel on a fibreglass hull, the two materials are not friends! The keel was pinned with 1.5mm brass rod in three places, holes drilled into the hull accordingly, and the whole thing jammed into place. It was a bit of a fight as the pins are not parallel with each other, rather at 90 degrees to the inner face of the keel. So, when offered up the holes did not quite match the heads of the brass pins. God job the plastic had a bit of give to it!With one keel in place, I then measured down from the deck to the pin holes for the other keel.
Final job, bonding them in place. Luckily the mating surface was not 100% perfect, if it had been It would have been a messier job. I taped underneath the keels and fed in a mix of epoxy and bulking agent, with the rounded end of a lolly stick. This was then warmed up with a hot air gun. This encourages the epoxy to become a bit more liquid, and wick into the joint. Once this had tacked off, I turned the boat upside down to repeat the process from underneath.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2019, 03:24:03 pm »

Excellent. You could always add some internal lighting? Would add some oomph when on static display.
My dad did that on his models of Endeavour, Nonsuch and a Statenjacht. In those days it was grain-of-wheat bulbs, LEDS are so much better.

You are the second person to suggest that!
I am aiming to fit working signal lamps on the bridge, so may well run in a couple of low power LEDs into the chart house. Just as long as it doesn't lead to me having to fit a full set of nav lights! Mind you, I think they ran with minimal lighting during convoys anyway, with just one or two low power position lamps showing forward and aft.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2019, 03:27:47 pm »

Final job today, so far! Varnish the stand. It only got a wood stain originally, now a nice coat of Rustins Polyurethane Matt Varnish, that should keep the sea water out.
Also, I tested the pinger this week, I may be able to detect real submarines, it is so loud!
Final shot with some details back on..do like those bilge keels, makes the whole thing just that bit more........
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.