Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 1976 Swordsman reborn . . . again.  (Read 14846 times)

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
1976 Swordsman reborn . . . again.
« on: November 01, 2016, 12:20:54 pm »

After the success of my Fantasy Huntress . . .
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,51679.0.html
I was pondering on what to do with the old Swordsman kit I'd built in me youf . . .

Shelve it / bin it or what ? ?
Red 181 convinced me to modernise it properly , do the engineering first worry about paint later . . .

SO . . onward , fancied a direct drive outrunner & a LIPO battery , strip out everything . . .

Started cutting away the motor mount ? ? why is it starting to go SPONGY ? ? ? the wood was rotted out , ended up taking out the whole mount either side of the keel , the keel wasn't affected strangely . . .

WOW ! ! needed a guide bar now for lining up the shaft . . .

After working out clearances & angle a mounting plate screwed & araldited in . . .

In goes a new 4mm S/Stl shaft / Hobbyking 90amp ESC / 2814T 820Kv outrunner / Component Shop fuse block ( use this as a switch, there's no BEC's switch on the ESC) & a revised battery mount for the Turnigy 5000mAh 11.1v LIPO . . .

Improvised cooling fan is a 30mm rotor from a laptop PSU , drilled out just smaller than the splines on the motor adaptor & pressed on . . .

Last week was relaunch , it goes like a scalded cat ! ! even with sustained high speed running the motors barely warm so the fan must be doing something . . .I'm well pleased . . .

Now for the repaint . . . I'll do that later  %%
Bill 

Stavros

Re: 1976 Swordsman reborn . . . again.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 04:10:16 pm »

Top tip here get some heat shrink to go over the huco coupling this will stop it exploding as they have a nasty habit and if it does at max rpm it will cause damage.If memory serves me right they are only rated to 5500rpm

Dave

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 07:23:54 pm »

Top tip here get some heat shrink to go over the huco coupling this will stop it exploding as they have a nasty habit and if it does at max rpm it will cause damage.If memory serves me right they are only rated to 5500rpm

Dave

Agree with you on this , there's been a few grenaded themselves at our lake , I select  ones that have  pins that sticks up above the coupling, a lot of the poor copy's barely get to the outside dia AND are radiused, makes it easy for the coupling end to climb over , also the plastic used can be unsuitable . . . the old RABOESCH huco's were the best , cant get them now .
Just have to keep checking for elongation round the pins or cracking , need to have a visual to do this , not seen any clear shrink tube.
And, to pick your brains , what can I use to strip off 40 year old two pack epoxy paint , the black paint is flaky all over the place & needs removing altogether, any of the water soluble strippers any good ? Or is it a sanding job ?
Bill

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 08:46:27 pm »

PM sent

Dave

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 12:05:04 am »

nice work Bill, best thing I have found for the stripping, fairy power spray, trust me on this, but a bit difficult to find, I think my last one was from Tesco at Bidston Moss

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 12:12:19 am »

nice set up by the way, I've used all of those, big tip here, those speed controllers are a bit over sensitive to low voltage, I recommend turning the low voltage off, and using a lipo alarm on the battery, set at 3.5v (remember I had these when at the lake with my Huntsman?)

I used two of those escs in my PCF build and was having a nightmare trying to sort out why it kept going slow, even after as few minutes, then resetting, it was the low voltage setting kicking in, as you accelerate the amps spike and the esc gets confused, just turn it off via the transmitter programming (all the beeps etc) but YOU MUST use a lipo alarm, dead cheap, plug into the balance lead on your lipo batt.

Now its experimenting with props, what shaft size is it? I have a  load of m5 that you can try, I bet you end up with  46 to 50mm x prop!, remember, done all this myself! :-))

Paul

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 01:13:41 am »

Hobbyking 50 amp was more trouble than it was worth , the 90amp seems , up to now, to be more stable I run it on the 3.4 protection setting , I've run it down to this setting a couple of times now & it checks out on the battery charger / balance indicator , everything is stone cold so the set up is not taxing the motor / ESC / battery or the wiring .
I've plenty of props , I'm running 40x two blade , I think it's about right, the motors not labouring at top speed.
I've got Fairy power spray, didn't work on hammerite , I'll try it out on the black . . .
Stavros recommends Rustins Stripit , no one seems to have that round here , I'll look in to it .
Bill

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 10:23:10 am »

Tried the Fairy power spray (on an inconspicuous patch  %%  ) didn't work, left it on 24 hrs , hadn't taken the shine off . . . .
Looks like EBay for the Rustins . . .
Fancy the 11.1v LIPO in the Huntress, it's 250g lighter than the niHm 9.6v pack , stuff it right back & sideways next to the rudder servo & take out the 100g lead from the stern . . .350g ish all together , see what difference it'll make . 
Bill

Crossie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 12:51:35 pm »

You could try this product which claims to dissolve industrial 2 pack resins http://www.rust.co.uk/as10-resin-remover/p506326/ , a friend mentioned this to me but I have never tried it so cannot comment.

Trevor

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 09:49:53 am »

Hi Chaps
My mate bought an unfinished Swordsman in 1969 and has finally finished it.
3639-1100kv brushless motor, 60amp car ESC, Turnigy 3S 5800mah Lipo battery with a 40mm 2 blade prop.
Nice quick boat!!!

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 09:55:23 am »

Removable cabin roof I see , '69 eh . . . . it's older than MINE ! !  %% 
Bill

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 10:54:58 am »

Hi mate
It had it's first run at Christmas time.
I am building one, but, I added 4 inches to the length, changed the cabin windows and added inbuilt spray rails.
Also added 3/4 inch to the bow to give it a more pointer bow.
Motor 3648-1450kv, 100 amp car ESC, twin 4S 5800mah Lipo's running 2blade 40mm prop.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 01:54:52 pm »

Hi Chaps
My mate bought an unfinished Swordsman in 1969 and has finally finished it.
3639-1100kv brushless motor, 60amp car ESC, Turnigy 3S 5800mah Lipo battery with a 40mm 2 blade prop.
Nice quick boat!!!

That's interesting as it looks very much like the plans I'm redrawing for the 1:12 Veron Swordsman 33.

Reason I say that is because it's got the raised area at the rear of the cockpit I was confused about on the drawings I've got i.e. why was it there when I understand that the cockpit floor should be level all the way back? So, I've altered my drawings so that it is level.

I'm also looking at modifying the drawings so that the cabin and cockpit lift off as one like the Huntsman models.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 10:16:59 am »

Hi ChrisF

I bought a Sea Commander which has the whole cabin liftoff in one piece .

Great to work on!!
Replaced the drive line and up the motor from a 28mm 750kv to a 35mm D3548/4-1100kv motor, 60Amp car ESC,3S 5800mah Lipo battery, a solid coupler and a 2 blade 40mm prop.
Good turn of speed, a bit of a sleeper!!!
The club member who I bought it from was a bit surprised at the increase in speed!!!
I have the original Aerokits plan on PDF if you require.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 10:39:59 am »

Thanks for the offer Canabus but I'm on a bit of a mission with regards to the various Fairey Marine boats which will keep me occupied for sometime!  :-)

I know it's all been done before with them having  been built many times over the years by many folks but it is all new to me and I've enjoyed finding out all about the various models' kits and plans and the history of Fairey Marine itself.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2017, 11:16:16 am »

The Fairey Huntsman / Swordsman / Huntress came in many guises as regard full length cockpit floor , I think they could be ordered with aft cabins etc etc , twin screw / single screw etc etc , petrol / diesel engines etc etc so any arrangement will have existed somewhere . . .
The Fairey owners website is well worth a look .
Bill

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 11:38:57 am »

Hi ChrisF
I am on my own mission to save old  model boat plans!!!
Living at the other end of the world, paper plans from England with postage are a third the price of a kit with the plan!!!
I do not sell plans.
The Sea Commander was twice the price of the plan, but, half the price of the kit(with plan).
Crap motor, crap ESC, crap over size prop, no radio, with servo.
Added the crew and changed the seats.
Double 10mm magnets to hold down the whole cabin.
Two days and I had a good boat!!!

I believe Aerokits was first kit the Swordsman as a middle size boat to Sea Hornet, Sea Rover(yes I have the plans) to the  larger Sea Queen( yes I have it to).
I have built the Sea Hornet with a 28mm 1900kv motor,3S Lipo and 2 blade 32mm prop(it goes!!!).

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 11:50:40 am »

Hi ChrisF
Dave M on the model boats mag forum website is the guru on Fairey's.
I think the Huntsman and Huntress had flared bows, the Swordsman did not!!!

Canabus(aka Harry Smith aka the Larrikin).

Dave's a good guy.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2017, 01:57:30 pm »

The Fairey Huntsman / Swordsman / Huntress came in many guises as regard full length cockpit floor , I think they could be ordered with aft cabins etc etc , twin screw / single screw etc etc , petrol / diesel engines etc etc so any arrangement will have existed somewhere . . .
The Fairey owners website is well worth a look .
Bill

Thanks Bill. I've pretty much sussed (with help - see below) the various hull designs and cabin layouts but have never come across that longer aft deck (rather than the aft cabin) in any of the full sized boats.

In fact your model has it as well so I guess yours was built from a Veron kit or plans?

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2017, 02:04:42 pm »

Hi ChrisF
Dave M on the model boats mag forum website is the guru on Fairey's.
I think the Huntsman and Huntress had flared bows, the Swordsman did not!!!

Canabus(aka Harry Smith aka the Larrikin).

Dave's a good guy.

Yes, I've been in contact with Dave a few times, started via this forum, and have met him and his good lady.

His knowledge of the Fairey Marine boats has been invaluable and I'm very grateful of his help and advice with regards to the models.[/quote]

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2017, 02:18:05 pm »

Hey  Chris,  my Swordsman's an AEROKIT's version , & extra detailing from a MODEL MAKER plan by P Connolly , the back cabin turned out to be handy as the boat was I/C motored initially & the silencer was a monster , couldn't get the tuned pipes like now  . . .
The Veron front cabin looks out of proportion to me when you check it against a real Fairey boat , the Aerokit's looks to be more accurate . . .. even more design variation perhaps ?
Bill

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2017, 02:36:28 pm »

Bill - my mistake, just looked at the drawings I'm working from and they are indeed Aerokit. I was getting confused with some other plans I've got!

I'd guessed that the increased aft deck was proabaly to facilitate IC engines that were more prevalent at the time the first kits were produced.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2017, 07:07:45 pm »

Another mistake by me!

Whilst I'm pretty clear on the overall differences between the timber hulled boats i.e. hull shapes and full aft cockpits/aft cabins variations I've just been doing some more research on the Swordsman 33 and some did indeed have rear cabins, though not full height as per the Huntsman and Super Swordsman etc.which is why I got confused .

This is good news as I can build  a version different to the other full open cockpit boats that I intend building.  Also it will be easier to build the superstructure as one piece.

The bad news is that it's back to the drawing board again for the third time!

I'm enjoying it though and it has meant that I now understand how the models are designed and built rather than just seeing a myriad of confusing lines as when I first looked at some plans. I guess seasoned builders are probably wondering what I'm going on about as they find it pretty simple and straightforward.

Also just copying the plans and making alterations makes me realise just how much work the model designers have to put in to come up with a new model. Not only in producing the initial drawings but in resolving any build issues. 

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2018, 09:25:57 am »

Hmm , major leak in the port side skin to stringer joint, had to vee it out back to good wood and fill the joint with a sliver & glue , repaint & back in service , starting to show her age now . . . .
Bill  <:(

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2018, 01:31:31 pm »

Gotta keep the old girl going!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.