Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 1976 Swordsman reborn . . . again.  (Read 14849 times)

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1976 Swordsman reborn . . . again.
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2018, 01:36:13 pm »

Gotta keep the old girl going!
Yes , it's a shame but CASCAMITE glue doesn't hang on for ever  <:(
Bill

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2018, 01:48:21 pm »

Has Aerolite glue lasted longer than Cascamite?
We used that to build the frames of our PBK
canoes and I used it on my Bell Woodworking
kit of my GP14 built back in 57 and still sailing
I believe.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2018, 02:02:45 pm »

Has Aerolite glue lasted longer than Cascamite?
We used that to build the frames of our PBK
canoes and I used it on my Bell Woodworking
kit of my GP14 built back in 57 and still sailing
I believe.

Ned
AEROLITE 301 ? that was for the WEALTHY  O0  CASCAMITE for us neer do wells . . .
Bill

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2018, 02:27:13 pm »

{-) {-) {-)
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2019, 11:14:08 am »

Getting near 2020 now, the boats in semi retirement until I get the paint done , black paint's falling off in chunks , when the spirit is willing I WILL do this  <*<  just need the urge to strike me  . . .
Bill

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2021, 03:32:45 pm »

Well , lock down was the ideal time to repaint 'old faithful'

Has been 'retired' for 12 months + the damage is extensive.

Nothing worked on the old Humbrol two pack epoxy paint , sanding or Strypit remover barely took the shine off , final choice was an exacto  chisel , upside down , to force the black paint from the undercoat  . . . 2 hours a day for 3 months . . .

Removing the paint exposed all the failed joints in the skins sprayrails and splits in the wood reattached with epoxy glue.

Two good coats of Z Poxy finishing resin ( joy of joys NO SMELL ) first coat just disappeared , second coat sanded down looked good , only problem I found was the resin ran like water when it was curing .

Three coats etching primer followed with three coats Ford Diamond white , left it a week to harden off , i'd removed the pulpit & handrails to make masking off easier .

Loaded the boat up with everything where it should be , cabin , battery , electrics and figures , and floated up in the bath , marked three points one at the bow and two at the stern to get the waterline and started masking off ( masking across the sprayrails was a S O B . . .)

Need to start another post or I'll lose track . . .
Bill

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2021, 04:15:35 pm »

Pt two . . .

Fully masked off now , and three coats of Ford Royal blue resulted in . . .

displayed in all it's glory with the masking removed .

The frames were detached from the skins in places , cleaned out and reglued .

Cabin time . . .

Not too bad some frames were loose reglued those , and took off the handrails , ventilators and windows , filled in the cracks on the cabin  roof .

Elected to use 80 grit wet and dry instead of getting the paint off needed a WHOLE lot of elbow grease and time just to remove the shine.

Needed to mask off three times .

Three coats acid etch primer (really gripped on the epoxy paint ) and three coats Ford diamond white.

Started masking off for the Ford Royal Blue side panels and THE CAMERA PACKED UP ! masked off the roof and nacelles and applied three coats of Ford Royal Blue . . .

New camera , cabin completed by then seats back in , figures and glass fitted .

In all it's glory .

All set , everything tests out ok , (Sunday last)

WEEE , not bad for a 45 year old Aerokits model . ( photo by Dave Wooley )

A side view , finished at last ! ! ! (photo by Dave Wooley) looks easy doesn't it ? nearly BINNED the whole thing getting the paint off , luckily I'd hidden all the hammers to prevent that happening . . .
Bill

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2021, 04:41:08 pm »

Hi Bill

Yes, that was a lot of work getting the paint off the hull!

But it was worth the effort and looks really good now. Looks better in traditional Fairey colours!

I'm just in the process of fitting the chine and spray rails and once I've done some more on the superstructure it will be ready for painting.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2021, 06:35:48 pm »

Ive just read through this and your other thread! Really great work and great photos!

I’m refurbing my 25+ year old Lesro Javelin and am taking all paint off the hull before respraying. I was going to prime with Halfords standard primer or primer filler spray. Was this the one you had trouble with?

I see you use the etch primer on z poxy hull and it works well? Also did you use cloth with the z poxy or just the fluid?

Lovely boats!
2 Lesro Javelins... and that’s it. Not even close to finished!

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2021, 12:13:22 am »

Ive just read through this and your other thread! Really great work and great photos!

I’m refurbing my 25+ year old Lesro Javelin and am taking all paint off the hull before respraying. I was going to prime with Halfords standard primer or primer filler spray. Was this the one you had trouble with?

I see you use the etch primer on z poxy hull and it works well? Also did you use cloth with the z poxy or just the fluid?

Lovely boats!
WoW you started my nightmares again  >>:-(  it was the Halfords primer filler (the yellow stuff) reacted with everything even Halfords own paints , Hycote was the way to go for me , Hycote etch primer & their paints no problems at all , the Hycote etch is half the price of the stuff Halfords sell .
Elected not to use cloth with the Z poxy finishing resin , getting it tight up to the sprayrails would've been a big problem , as I said the first coat disappeared straight away and needed two coats, the etch primer  went straight on with out a hitch .
Bill

RST

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2021, 01:14:49 am »

I've just used rustoleum over Halfords primer OK so far. The yellow filler primer behaved itself this time not like before. Not all your pics work for me but great job from what I can see! I'm a big fan of cloth and z poxy on a hiull these days but not necessarily as you point out over rails. I do those on top.

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2021, 03:55:27 am »

Hi imsinking;

Congratulations on reaching a goal after a long and hard work.! %%
You did a very good job not only in reforming the boat ,but also in sailing quality which I regard as so important on the water as far as it is a RC model boat.! :-)) :-))
I have also reformed a 42 years old Jupiter F-99 to get her again  in service by a brushless motor water cooled.
Yours looks so nice in sailing pics.!!
From now on, I'd like you to enjoy the sailing sufficiently as you spent a huge amount of time into her so far.!
Sailing is pleasant.!! :-))

Backerther

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2021, 10:59:22 am »

Nice work Bill, your Swordsman looks superb!

Did you decide to build your Aerokits model with a lift-off cabin right from the start, or did you saw it off in later years?

My Aerokits Swordsman still has the standard fixed super-structure with access only available via the lift-off roof sections, but that is enough for me to get to the motor and LiPo cells etc, but the Phill Connelly Swordsman design has a lift of top like yours and does give more access which is good when major repairs or restoration work is needed.

As a matter of interest, do you know if it is still possible to buy a pair of those rectangular rear window frames that you have on the hull sides of the rear cabin?  They do look good, but I have not seen anything like that for sale since the 1960's when I built my first Swordsman.

I guess when the kits were still good sellers, smaller manufacturers made things like those oblong rear window frames (and the pulpit and handrails etc) for those that did not have either the skills or the kit to make the own.  When the kit sales stopped - so did the sales of the dedicated accessories,  so the supply for them would have stopped soon afterwards.

Stay safe,

Bob.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2021, 12:56:45 pm »

Hi Bob, yes I set out to have a one piece lift off cabin/well deck from the beginning , the original set up was a glow motor , ENYA 20 I recall, as you can see with all the cutouts in the frame,I needed to access the interior all the way to the back .
No chance of those side windows anymore , long since passed , I wanted one myself broke it getting it out , had to bodge it back together in the end .
This jogged my memory, the first week after completing I was happily chugging up and down a big lake and,  all of a sudden , I lost control it took off flat out down the lake and wouldn't answer the 27meg signals to stop or steer , I'm running after it shouting (in russian) to stop to no avail , crashed into the low concrete bank , & went straight up in the air to head height and came down upside down in the water , the driver was dead he was thrown out face down in the water , what was worse was the engine was still running , I'd fitted an aircraft style clunk tank that still fed fuel to the motor and that was revving HYSTERICALLY & driving the boat  thru the prop in the air, luckily it had done a 360 roll in mid air and was facing the bank so came in to be retrieved , the bottom skins were split & the engine seized solid  <:(  turned out a gent in the club house was 'testing' his yacht radio , same frequency as me . . . such joy . . .
Bill

Hi Bill,

We didnt have too many frequencies to choose from back in the old 27meg days of the 1960's  - and we also had a fair share of problems with people switching-on without checking first to see what was already being used !

Cars and aircraft also used 27 meg so things could quickly get quite "hairy" when being totally unaware of aircraft being flown or cars being raced nearby.

I remember the local r/c yacht sailers reversing their crystals (tx crystal in the rx and the rx crystal in the tx) back those days to try gain additional frequencies . When combined with the then available "split" frequencies, a lot of boats could be seen on the water at the same time.

What could go wrong?.......................... O0

We had those painted peg boards that showed every main and split 27 meg frequency, and those who had reversed their crystals used to clip their frequency peg on the board upside-down.   It worked a treat ..............sometimes.......

Things improved when 35 meg (for airborne use only) and 40meg (for ground based use only) came along and were all but "sorted" after 2.4 gig arrived on the scene.

I must try to get over to your club water sometime - it was always good to see your club members at Southport when we had our club "open days".

Stay safe,

Bob.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2021, 10:16:59 pm »

now that looks much better! The Fairey colours! :-))

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2021, 11:46:17 pm »

now that looks much better! The Fairey colours! :-))
Praise indeed  %%  Didn't do the blue stern like your Linzi lou , and the waterline round the sprayrails was a S O B . . .
Wanted to Nickel plate the pulpit / handrails , that didn't end well . . .
Got some transparent 8mm silicone tube to use as rubbing strip round the deck split it & took a further 3mm out of it so it fitted tight on to the edge , glued it on with STIXALL and a couple of brass panel pins at the stern , holding up well so far .   
Bill

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2021, 10:20:46 am »

OOP'S  :embarrassed:  A glancing blow with the wall split the top deck , again . . .  >>:-(

The bodge job with filler had let go even wider this time , BUT I could see what was holding it open , two panel pins had bent and were holding the joint apart , quick work with a thin file took care of that

Got araldite liberally into the joint & let the excess squeeze out at the bow by clamping up , reshaped the deck edge when cured.

Replace the silicone buffer (undamaged in the collision) and it looks better than before .  O0

Bill

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2021, 11:54:31 am »

Good save there Bill! Looked bad in the first photos.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2021, 02:24:34 pm »

Araldite to the rescue again!

Good stuff  :-))

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2021, 11:40:15 am »

ACROSS THE LAKE . . .
We raced the two Fairey's to see which was the fastest , both are similar . . .
White Swordsman - 840mm x 290mm wide /960kv outrunner / X40 prop / 11.1 LIPO / 9 pounds weight.
Grey Huntress - 860mm x 290mm wide / 1100kv outrunner / X40 prop / 11.1 LIPO / 10 pounds weight .
All photo's by Dave Wooley .

That's surprising , Swordsman from a standing start all the way

Swapped operators , still the same result.

Hull form perhaps ? the Swordsman Aerokits hull seems more like the original boat shape , the Huntress's Precident hull is more sharply raked , tho I did notice the propwash on the grey boat was cavitating more , the extra 140kv over driving the X40 prop?
Any thoughts ?
Bill

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2021, 01:25:35 pm »

Could be a shot from a real offshore powerboat race - they look very authentic with the chop of the water.

What's the grey boat as Precedent only kitted the Huntsman 31? If a Huntress is it the big SLEC kit?

Once on the plane I don't think the rake will make any difference and given that both are deep v hulls and of similar size etc. I'd expect the performance to be similar.

Chris

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2021, 01:43:25 pm »

Could be a shot from a real offshore powerboat race - they look very authentic with the chop of the water.

What's the grey boat as Precedent only kitted the Huntsman 31? If a Huntress is it the big SLEC kit?

Once on the plane I don't think the rake will make any difference and given that both are deep v hulls and of similar size etc. I'd expect the performance to be similar.

Chris

I naturally consider the Swordsman to be the superior craft Chris

........but you already know this  O0

Great pictures by the way, its always nice to see Fairey's at play :-))

Bob.

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2021, 02:29:26 pm »

Chris
The grey Huntress is a Huntsman 31 hull I got from eBay , i built all the cabin and stripped out the stuff that was N B G , see the Fantasy Huntress write up ( link on page one of this topic )
The Swordsman is riding better , look at the head on shot , and you can see the middle trail of the cavitating prop on the grey boat. 
Bill

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2021, 03:30:21 pm »

I see Bill. I may have said it on the Fantasy Huntress thread, but you've built a Huntsman 31 Sport there! I started to build one but then converted it to an aft cabin when I sold my 47" version and I've already got a number of full cockpit Faireys.

Bob - you'll have to get your finger out now (forget all those Rapier etc. thingies) and get on with yours!

Chris

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2021, 04:10:55 pm »

Bob - you'll have to get your finger out now (forget all those Rapier etc. thingies) and get on with yours!

Chris

I do stand quite close to my two incomplete Aerokits based Swordsman models most days........usually as I am working on my various Rapier and Javelin models   {-)      but they are making some progress now and I intend returning to the Swordsman in the near future.

I am looking forward to running a Swordsman again........the Southport Lake really needs some regular Swordsman activity!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.