Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie, Triple motor control  (Read 1782 times)

Mikemod

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Newbie, Triple motor control
« on: November 08, 2016, 02:35:10 pm »

Hello all

I have an older Fire boat (possible Graupner)...it has three mono perm motors fitted. The original electrics were all installed but I could not get any to work, so I'm going to strip it out and start again...what's the simplest way to control all three motors?
Thanks in advance.
Mike

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Newbie, Triple motor control
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 12:18:46 am »

Hi, Mike

Just a thought in passing.
Monoperms (MP) are before my time, but they seem to have an enthusiastic bunch of followers.
I'm not familiar with them, but I am morally certain that they will work if dismantled and cleaned/showered with affection

And the problem with the electrics may not be with the motors - take one out and test it with about 6V directly - if it doesnt then cleaning the brushes and 3-in-1 on the bearings may make it happy.  Some monoperms seem to have a reversing lever - this must slide copper (brass) contacts around - fertile ground for corrosion

In general it seems that a direct drive 385 (or 555) is a rough equivalent  - the MP has 5 poles, so its a low speed torquey motor, so 5-pole replacements are a good place to start

Photos of electrics?  I am guessing at gold bricks or Bob's Boards

andrew

Mikemod

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 03:10:02 pm »

Hello Andrew,
Thanks for the reply....I've had the motors out, all, cleaned and now running well. The speed controller is something I've not seen before it's linked to a number of other similar boxes and servos the size of suitcases...unfortunately, I'm not able to get pics at present...I don't know what is best to replace with....as its triple prop, should I go for a single speed controller or another combination ( 2 or 3 )?  I've read the various suggestions of tank steering or switches cutting motors etc, but I'm far from clever enough to sort such. The third prop is what I'm struggling with....other than leave it driveless which I would rather not do.

Are there any mixers that can handle the three prop set up?
Thanks again...
Mike

inertia

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 03:24:15 pm »

This will do the job if you substitute 385's for the 500E motors shown. They do like to run on 12v; any less and things get very slow. http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/Graupner%20Wiesel.pdf
The two outer motors are 'mixed' with the rudder (use Mode 4 - 50% mix) while the centre motor follows the throttle, irrespective of what rudder command is applied. 555 motors would also be OK if they will fit. Component Shop tell me they have some more on order.
DM

Mikemod

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 03:32:55 pm »

Hello DM
Thank you so much...that is perfect, I will pop over to the website and look at placing an order come pay day.
Best wishes
Mike

inertia

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 03:47:20 pm »

You're welcome, Mike. Do note that the drawing shows the correct part number for the distribution board (P102). The shopping list uses the old (now incorrect) name. All ACTion stuff is available from Component Shop.
Dave M
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 22 queries.