Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SHUCO 'Mistral'  (Read 3498 times)

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
SHUCO 'Mistral'
« on: November 02, 2016, 06:08:51 pm »

This is an old craft, origin unknown, which I am considering buying to restore. 41" long. Can anyone identify?

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
Re: SHUCO 'Mistral'
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 07:18:00 pm »

Correction - 43" long x 56" tall.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 06:01:29 pm »

I bought this today and found it to be in good condition and well worth restoring.
In my 1976 edition of Ripmax  Modellers Handbook, (never throw anything away!) there it was, a SHUCO make 'Mistral'. Catalogue price new £37.00!  I look forward to seeing her sailing as it has a very graceful hull and rig and should sail well.

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 11:31:02 pm »

Back in 85 I had one of these, the keel had been deepened by nearly an inch and better sails with a fuller shape to the rear of the main.
A decent winch on 6v and she sailed very well on our large lake in Bath.
Sold, to make way for a Marblehead, to a leading member of the Scale Sail Association.
in my own little world

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 03:22:02 pm »

Many thanks for that Rob.  This one has very nice Mylar sails which I do not think were original so will have to wait and see how they perform. Otherwise, it looks original. :-))
Bob.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 11:58:41 am »

Following Rob's suggestions, I added an extra 1kg (I" depth) to the keel. This improved her performance considerably. The Mylar sails were rather old and discoloured so I made a new set from Dacron. All rigging was replaced and new  Cap Maquettes rigging screws fitted, together with a new set of stanchions. A respray and revarnishing improved the appearance greatly and thanks to the migration of Great-Crested newts and pondweed clearance, she got her first successful sail on Sunday last. A very simple, successful and pleasing refurbishment. I think the all-wood decks and upperworks are very pleasing. 

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 03:51:15 pm »

A nice looking model :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 04:16:17 pm »

Hi Nemo I am pretty sure this is a Graupner kit.  It is a larger version of the Gracia (36 inches loa which is my own favourite yacht) I thought Optimist but do not think so, there was another yacht in the series, can't remember the name though.
regards Roy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 04:21:12 pm »

Topic renamed   :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 06:20:43 pm »

Hi Nemo I am pretty sure this is a Graupner kit.  It is a larger version of the Gracia (36 inches loa which is my own favourite yacht) I thought Optimist but do not think so, there was another yacht in the series, can't remember the name though.
regards Roy

Thanks Roy. On checking the catalogue, I find both Graupners almost identical to my yacht at first glance. The smaller 'COLLIE' is a mere 28" and the larger OPTIMIST'   is 41"ength and 10.5" beam, whereas my yacht is 42" x 8.5"! The 'MISTRAL' is listed as 42" length but no beam shown and although the photo is small it does look like mine. Its anyones guess really, but I think the MISTRAL wins by a head.
Bob.

Photo 1 - Graupner Optimist, Photo 2 - Shuco Mistral.

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 07:58:56 am »

I'm glad the extra inch helped ! I thought, when I had mine it was kitted by Hegi, but it was some time ago and my brain has begun to fade . Nice little sailer though, and a nice looker.
in my own little world

Concorde002

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2021, 12:03:27 pm »

Hi everyone,I have recently acquired a sailboat which I would like to restore to sailing condition. I have had some help from a friend who has identified it as a Hegi Mistral from the 70s/80's. Hegi were a German company who were acquired by Schuco who have apparently also ceased trading. Does anyone out there possibly have a set of instructions and/or plans that they would be willing to scan and share so that I can address the mast/rigging and servo/winch tray/set-up as both are missing and I don't know where to start. Thank you.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2021, 12:58:27 pm »

Hi Nemo there is no coincidence in the similarity I expect they were both based on the German 8 metre class which was popular in the 1950's.  Incidently these full size yachts were mainly built in Scotland, the class also allowed for a mizzen mast to ease sail handling for smaller crew numbers.
I have since reworked the sail winch control in my Gracia, which I was having trouble with.  However the main problem was that I had one sail sheet on the elastic return side of the winch.  All settled now.
 I found, well I must have been given them, sails marked with the Gracia kit sail number and I am thinking of having another mast set with a slightly alternative rig with a slightly smaller main but two jib sails.  That will be after two on-going projects though.
Regards
Roy

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.