Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Early Scottish fishing boat trawler  (Read 3346 times)

Drydock2017

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Early Scottish fishing boat trawler
« on: February 09, 2017, 06:18:19 pm »

Hi guys been away from building for a while and to be honest I have missed it, baby house job etc all the fun things in life that Normally put a vault to things we enjoy well I'm back, my first build back I'm going to be building a early Scottish fishing trawler I did want to go for a full scratch build but I decided against it purely because I'm modelling again but won't get the time I used to too build maybe a few hours here and there in the evenings so I got a pre made hull from model by designs I'm going to be building it between 1/33-1/35th scale, the hull needs a lot more cleaning up than expected to be honest there's a few bubbles in the hull and it needs filling in areas but others to that I'm happy put in an order to good old Cornwall model boats for a brass prop and a prop shaft and I have a Marx monoperm super 6v 3a to power her, I'm also going to be trying my hand with abs/styrene instead of wood which I normally build with but I will see how I get on I might end up building with wood but we will see any way here's some pictures so far I'm hoping my parts arrive by the weekend so I can get some bits done on Saturday as the wife and child are out lol

Drydock2017

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Early Scottish fishing boat trawler
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 02:50:57 pm »

Hi guys, the lovely postman delivered some goodies today my monoperm motor my m4 prop shaft and a 35mm 3 blade brass prop I am hoping to get some time tomorrow to install the propshaft in to the hull and start working out the style of rudder I want to go for wasn't keen on just buying a brass rudder and putting it in I'd rather scratch make it so I get the right style I'm aiming for I also want to start tackling some of the imperfections in the hull I normally use p38 body filler what do u guys use? Any advice would be great thanks in advance

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 06:36:41 am »

G'day Drydock,

I would have expected the hull to have a better finish, but reasonably easily fixed with a bit of bog.

I had looked at getting one of their hulls, but the shipping was pretty much more than the hull was worth so it stayed where it was!

I use ordinary car body filler, but P38 is often mentioned in posts on this site. That's one of the major advantages of a glass hull, easily fixed, even if you break them.

Ian.

Drydock2017

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 08:16:51 am »

Hi IanLind I wasn't overly impressed considering a lot off people say how good they are etc it just seems a bit rushed if that makes sense it is easily sort able like you said it's just messy work sanding back glass, I found the postage wasn't to bad on mine it was £8 but then it's only a fairly small hull 20inches long by about 8 inches wide I'm just getting some things sorted and then hopefully I will get some work started on the hull

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 10:46:43 am »

Postage to Australia is a lot more than the cost of local post.

Funny thing is, some small items are surprising cheap to post, but other traders seem to charge an exhorbitant amount, maybe because they don't want to supply outside the UK.

Ian.

Drydock2017

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 09:21:32 pm »

Hey guys so today I installed the prop shaft it's in but I have to be honest I'm really not happy with the hull, started cracking as soon started to drill the hull for prop shaft also after me and dad took a closer look we have decided that we are going to have to pack the keel out completely due to it being thin and weak started to pay attention to the bubbles rubbed them back and there's going to be a lot filling I'm thinking about just rubbing it all back then blasting a coat of black primer over with the airbrush to show the imperfections and go from there really

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 09:52:53 pm »

Have you thought of contacting Andy?
His products are top class and if you
Have problems I think he would like to know.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Drydock2017

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 10:46:17 pm »

Hi Ned from my experience I wouldn't say this hull is top class others may say differently I have built quite a few boats and my family have as well since the early days but I decided to get one from there after reading all the hype about there hulls, I'm just going to see what I can do with it but like I said I'm not overly impressed but that's just my opinion

Drydock2017

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 10:58:07 am »

Hi guys done a fair amount of work on the hull mainly prep rubbing down etc and filling starting to enjoy being back building again now I have got the hull sorted it's not a bad hull just needed a bit of work to strengthen it and straighten it up

Drydock2017

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 08:16:01 am »

Here's a few pics I'm awaiting more building materials, I'm still currently working on a friends rc body shell that he's paying me to airbrush
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.