Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Argonaut - Leander Class Frigate 1/96th  (Read 47882 times)

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: HMS Argonaut - Leander Class Frigate 1/96th
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2016, 09:26:39 pm »

Completed the hull planking, quite happy with things so far - need to do some finishing touches to the bow still (used some vertical strips that need sanding), and next step will be a rough sanding using 60 grade grit, before applying some resin into the joints.
After than some more sanding and applying filler where needed.

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2016, 09:29:06 pm »

Last batch

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2016, 09:42:33 pm »

Beautiful work, love to see a scratch built hull on the go! :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2016, 09:50:31 am »

Thanks Nick, some great curves in these hulls, planking was fun !

Have drawn some lessons for my next one hull:

- will need more stringers and had better put these in as soon as the frames are erected
- should have marked and drilled out the shaft alignments in the respective frames, prior to starting to plank
- with hindsight, don't think I really needed that balsa filler in the middle of the hull
- will opt for 3 mm plywood frames at every station (I have used various thicknesses, no need for that)
- there was no need to have the keelson jutting out of the frames as much as it did, and also, I could easily have added the sonar domes separately

Experience is a steep learning curve as they say....

E

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2016, 02:13:52 pm »

A question for the forum members - am still researching one or two things to complete my Leander hull: does anyone happen to know what the likely shape of the Sonar domes on a gun Leander looked like ? Some of the GRP hulls seem to indicate they were fairly narrow and long, whereas others seem to suggest their shape was far more rounded and circular ?[/size]Can't find any photographs on the net either, so will need to go with a sketch or anyone's best advise/ recollection.Thanks for any help that can be shed.E

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2016, 03:19:21 pm »

If she was fitted with Type 184 Sonar
She would have had a more rounded
Dome as the 184 transducer was made
up of a circle of transducer elements
called staves as in a barrel.
The other fit was Type 199 variable depth
sonar.
I would think 184 in the 70's.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2016, 04:09:22 pm »

Thanks Ned, very useful - information is clealy quite patchy, so very much appreciate the help.

One last question then perhaps: it seems there were two domes jutting out of the keel, the other probably being a Type 162 Sonar - which one would be the smaller of the two and which one nearest to the bow ?

Hope you don't mind me asking, want to get this as right as I can.

E

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2016, 04:40:35 pm »

Found a link that shows Argo with
177/170 sonar in 1970.
Will give you details when I get
to a computer.
Ned
http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7176

you will have to register but it may be worth it for the info.

Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2016, 05:53:14 pm »

Lovely hull E! Thinking about your question to Bluebird, I expect his crisp knuckles are due to lots of experience in hull making, but he may have PM'd you and told you how he really did it!

Pond weed is your enemy

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2016, 06:12:32 pm »

aye, as me fathor would say, he is making a 'canny job' of the hull :-)

How I did the knuckle on HMS Exeter is a 'well known' secret and if I tell I will have to say don't tell anyone else :-)

First of all, the radius in the knuckle, I planked out with 1/16 square Obechi; this started from where the bridge is on the hull and ended up at the bow.   I think it was about 20+ pieces per side; the top edge of the knuckle from the radius to the deck was done with 1/16 ply.  When I sanded it, I made a sanding block up with a radius which was slightly smaller on one edge of the block - so - that when I wrapped the sandpaper around the block - Used double sided sticky tape - to actually stick the sandpaper to the block.   This is how I formed the radius - then, when I fibreglassed the hull I left sanding and finishing the knuckle areas right to the end.   Near enough the majority of the hull had been sanded. 

Then when I plated it with plasticard, I found it was easier to preform the plates of plasticard around a curtain rail steel tube - from the curtain rail in other words - under the hot water tap.  This aided the gluing of the plates into shape.

john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2016, 06:26:59 pm »

Thanks for that John. The hint and tips book is filling up!
Pond weed is your enemy

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2016, 02:34:31 pm »

Gave the hull a first coat of resin + hardener, worked especially into the joints and where the seams are slightly opened between the various planks.
Will rub this down once fully dried out and then proceed with filler and body primer - heading for a lot more sanding no doubt !
Glass matt have been ordered and are on their way, so no time to waste.

Am pondering whether to remove the sonar dome (that is part of my keel assembly) to facilitate the matting of the hull, and re-attach later & separately. Seem to think this protuberance will stand in the way of a neat glassfibre cover......

E

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2016, 05:07:23 pm »

Am pondering whether to remove the sonar dome (that is part of my keel assembly) to facilitate the matting of the hull, and re-attach later & separately. Seem to think this protuberance will stand in the way of a neat glassfibre cover......

YES
 O0 O0   It will make life a lot easier

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2016, 09:38:20 pm »

Argonaut sailed through some cottage cheese today - applied the first coat of filler...snowwhite !

Then sanded most of it away again....

E

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2016, 11:39:46 pm »

It's a horrible task, 'long-boarding' a hull, but time and effort spent here pays huge dividends later on.

Just tell yourself there'll come a point when you're wet-and-dry sanding this hull, and as you find it smoother than the smoothest baby's smooth bum, you can call it a day.  :-))

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2016, 05:06:37 pm »

Hi there

Yes its an extremely horrible if not boring task - sanding down/filling/sanding down again/filling but always remember this; patience is a virtue and the longer you spend perfecting the finish on this hull - the more rewarding this will be.    If you rush it; leaving a few lumps/bumps you will regret it - because, as you are building your model - you will see these 'faults' which you have left through, shall we say, impatience - and you will be thinking to yourself - I wish I had spent more time - because these faults are spoiling the model.    You will know where the imperfections are.   I have the tee-shirt - as one would say - so take your time, be patient.    The reward comes along when someone says to you - 'oh, that's a nice Deans fibre glass hull '   and you will have the pleasure of saying - sorry - that model is plank on frame/built by myself.

Last, but not least, I myself would remove that square block for the sonar - because you can guarantee - you will rap your knuckles on it when you are sanding :-)

Your hull is looking good.  :-)) :-))

John

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2016, 05:47:25 pm »

Looking really nice. Looking forward to seeing this evolve. All so picking up lots of tips along the way. Thank you for taking the time to share :-)) :-)) :-))

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2016, 06:40:50 pm »

Thanks for your words of encouragement chaps, and especially all the good advise - have been doing some more sanding today and applied a second layer of filling, especially the stern and bow sections needs a little more pasting.
And yes, quickly deleting my stock of sanding paper - but am hearing that that is surely a good thing !

Will be doing another run down tomorrow morning and depending on how she looks might already glasscoat the stern and get used to my resin/hardeners, before doing the hull sides.
Moment of truth I think....

No point in posting pics at this stage, only more dust !

E

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2016, 10:30:00 pm »

Hoping to build one of these myself in a few years time - in the meantime I'll just be content to watch your build. Thank you for sharing this one Eric. :-)

Regards,

Ray.

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2016, 08:02:29 pm »

A bit more work done as follows:

- Finished my last sanding run and feel I can't significantly improve things any more.
- Dry-fitted the glass cloth cut to size (went for cloth i/o matting as nut trusting myself to deal with overlapping joints)
- Glasscoated the stern
- built the ship's stand

E

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2016, 08:15:16 pm »

Am intending to try and simulate the so-called 'starved dog' effect, showing the ship's side plates distorted by welding.
Early days still and will need to finish my glassfibre hull coating first, but this will be an extra layer by way of finish.

Been studying photographs of Leanders and laid out my findings on a sketch. Interestingly, it seems as if there are two sizes in these plates, and I reckon that scaled down I will need plates in 6 x 7 mm and 6 x 1mm, or thereabouts. For some reason beyond me it appears as of the broader plates are commonly found under the mainmast, whereas the rest of the hull seems to display the more square forms.

Am trying to figure out how best to simulate this, a first attempt was made using regular printer paper, held over a frame made up of sewing wire, and the whole structure being soaked in superglue. Not good enough, and will be trying rice paper next.
If anyone has any ideas I would be very glad to hear them. The trick will be to make this noticeable enough when seeing the hull from certain angles, whilst not making it too conspicuous either. Not sure if it will prove to be feasibly, but willing to make an effort.

E

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2016, 08:48:24 pm »

Again good progress Eric  :-))..

With respect to the hull distortion, yes you are correct that the hull framing spacing is longer & higher amid ships than further toward the bow & stern as shown on your images.......

I did a refit of the 4.5" Vickers twin mount on HMAS Parramatta.......a different Class to the Leanders, however a very similar hull....Parramatta showed the same hull distortion although not as clear in the image below....[the 4.5's were an older vintage mount, but mechanically very reliable.....the only down side was that the gun mount sailors had to wear rain coats ....to counter the hydraulic oil leakage & spraying  <*< when in action]

Having said this, it will be an absolute nightmare trying to simulate the hull plate distortion in 1:96 scale  >>:-(

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2016, 08:49:56 pm »

You just have to remember that the filler and primer sanded away uncovers a masterpiece. I want to build a couple of models with Plank on frame hulls and everyone on here who has shared their work gives me more confidence.

Your hull is coming along gorgeous  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2016, 09:26:01 pm »

Just a thought - the only way I could think of was to lay individual liness of a fine thread of sorts along each scribed line then when a layer of cloth is laid over and affixed with resin the raised lines would / could give the illusion of 'panelling' though several attempts to create the effect would have to be tested, like having a piece of brush hair under the cloth after not noticing it having being released when apply the first coat.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2016, 11:26:39 pm »

Another (faster?) option ... the physical distortion of the plates is not much. It's 96 times less at your scale, and a pile of work with regards to manufacturing it. Could you simulate plate distortion with a very subtle use of paint: an 'L' of lighter grey and a "7' of darker grey per plate edge? Mask off triangles and be very gentle with an airbrush?

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.