Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Argonaut - Leander Class Frigate 1/96th  (Read 47878 times)

Glyn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: HMS Argonaut - Leander Class Frigate 1/96th
« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2017, 03:21:52 pm »

Looking good - you're making great progress! Just a couple of questions: Do you anticipate any problems with the rudder operation in the confined space created by the cut-out at the stern? Clearance looks a bit tight from the photographs. Also - and I'm probably preaching to the converted here, so apologies in advance - did you 'rough up' the side of the litho plate that was being glued to the hull? The reason I'm asking is that, being quite smooth, sometimes the adhesive doesn't key to it properly. The 'ripple' effect you've achieved really looks convincing, I must say. Regards, Glyn

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2017, 03:31:09 pm »

your comments about the lightness of the hull are quite apt, they are very light compared to a fibreglass one - some people find it difficult to believe, but not only that a plank on frame built hull is pretty strong as well.

If it were me, I would go for motorisation as fit out now; because later on in the day you will be sitting and say to yourself - I wish I had put motors in that model - put it in the lake to see how she sails.

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2017, 06:52:18 pm »

quick question, will you be "plating" around the stem or just doing the flat surfaces?

Bob
I will finish this model

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2017, 09:19:05 pm »

I would definitly fit it out for sailing. It will add to your enjoyment of the hobby being able to pop it on the lake occasionally and see her in her natural element.
Pond weed is your enemy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: February 28, 2017, 11:08:29 pm »

Eric.....

The block on axis on the top of the 4.5" mount is an aerial connection point. The actual Gun Captains glass viewing block is on the STDB rear of the mount......the sides of this viewing box in real life were armour plated green tinted about 12" x 3" glass panes and the front pain about 14" x 8" and about <*< 2" thick

The Gun Captain actually sat in an uncomfortable   >>:-(chair, so only with his head protruding high enough to gain an eye line view of the proceeding's  O0

Will you be adding this to your mount?

I have attached an image of an RN Leander and also an image of HMAS Vampire 4.5's showing this

Derek

PS......there is also a Cow Bell steel open bottomed rectangular box mounted on the lower rear of the mount shell......this bell rings prior and when the mount is about to train or elevate......I have an image somewhere.....will try & find it for you
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #130 on: March 01, 2017, 01:05:51 am »

H.M.A.S Vampire turret.
I have quite a few more photos of her but I do not know if they apply to a Leander.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #131 on: March 01, 2017, 01:17:09 am »

Oops!
In colour as well.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: March 01, 2017, 02:55:38 am »

Eric.....here is the link to the Cows Bell as fitted to Vickers twin 4.5" mounts...... Derek

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,47297.msg518344.html#msg518344
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: March 01, 2017, 02:19:21 pm »

Thanks everyone, for the respective contributions - feel like a kid in a candy store with all the photographs, hints & tips and advise provided.

Let me try and attempt to respond the various queries one by one:

- the rudder posts are indeed in a very VERY confined area and I must confess that I began to have some second thoughts about the wisdom of having that VDS well cutout at the stern, clearly wasn't thinking of how to connect the two rudders and attaching a 'yardarm' to take to the servos at a subsequent phase....
It will certainly be a tight fit and I am hopeful that I can find T-shaped servo brackets that will have sufficient room to rotate in these confines, I have also cut out a slot in the keelson below the VDS deck through which I can pass a pushbar between both rudders.
Photographs to follow once I have squared it, will need to be addressed quickly now for I cannot get my deck glued in place before finishing this section.

- as to the litho plates and preaching to the (un)initiated  {:-{ {:-{ , I fear I fall into the category of the heretics so I'd better face up to it and come clean; I cleanly forgot about roughing up the back of the litho plate !! I can only hope everything will hold as is - did have one or two corners/ sides where there is a tiny little gap and where the glue does not seem to have held, but nothing I cannot fix with putty and superglue. A very good point and cursing myself for having rushed it !  <*< The overall look is quote good I think, the other doubt I am beginning to have is the visible difference between the parts below the waterline and everything above - hope the effect of the hull anti-fouling red, blanc boot topping and light weatherworks grey will blend everything harmoneously together.

- as to the plating around the stem, another good point - have given that some considerable thought, and same goes for the area around the anchor recesses, but on balance I decided against trying to have the plating done to this area. Two reasons really; looking at photographs, this area seems to be less prone to the dented plating effet and much smoother overall,  and seems to have been welded using larger plates.

The  other things is that, the stem being quite sharp, my fear is that by adding litho the looks of that chisel-sharp bow might be diminished. That said, once I will have given the hull a first spray, I am intending to add very fine welding lines (have begun begging my daughter for some strands of her long hair, under the pretence they will be immortalised by going into model !!) along some of these panels, again as can be seen in some photographs (see photographs attached, albeit of the stern area), to replicate the welding seams.

- as to the gun, many thanks indeed for the additional photographs and information regarding the cow's bell and gunner's armoured lookout position. The intention is very much to have these features added still, I had temporarily stalled my work on the gun whilst waiting for the barrels to arrive (so far the only concession to going 'commercial' as I do not have a lathe nor the required skills to 'turn' things) and with the temperatures back to acceptable levels in my workshed, to progress the hull.

A great deal of thanks as well for the dimensions of those armoured 'slits' in that conning position, that will come in  handy. I also need to add the antenna still (although this appears to be lacking on some Leanders, bizarrely enough, but Argonaut certainly had the aerial) and add a few clips and hinges to the doors at the rear of the turret.

Thanks again guys, appreciate the interest and support.

E

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: March 01, 2017, 03:02:55 pm »

Thanks for the reply about plating the stem.  I asked as you got me thinking could I do it on Bristol at 1/72, well yes of course, but having seen it in the flesh the stem is prominent on her.  I also arrived at the same question you posed about the waterline, Bristol being bigger, broader means that the plat could be taken all the way around, guess that is what makes it so much fun (I think) :}
I will finish this model

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: March 07, 2017, 02:06:51 pm »

Hi Rob,

Good luck with that plating exercise, would be good to hear your experiences and do let us have some snapshots of your model of Bristol. I have a set of fairly good photographs when she was alongside as the Dartmouth training ship, must have been her final commission I suppose.

Cheers
E

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: March 07, 2017, 02:09:39 pm »

Little progress over the WE, but took some time to lay some extra strips on my forecastle deck, very time consuming and mind-numbing exercise ! Quite pleased overall though, only need to rub down the strips and will have the desired result.

E

Glyn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #137 on: March 07, 2017, 02:16:52 pm »

Wow - mind-numbing and time-consuming it might be, but the end result is most impressive. I've read somewhere that on the full-size vessels the steel strips were individually welded to the deck. If that's the case then you're doing pretty much the same in miniature! What kind of adhesive are you using, as a matter of interest? Regards, Glyn

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: March 07, 2017, 02:29:34 pm »

Looking great so far,  :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: March 07, 2017, 08:34:26 pm »

The shiny areas around the strips and lack of brush marks suggest the use of Plastic weld (Dichloromethane.) I salute your efforts and time spent laying the strips E.
Pond weed is your enemy

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: March 19, 2017, 07:06:36 pm »

Hi gents,

At long last some more progress, been travelling for work a little too much to my liking the last few weeks...so the shipyard has been lying idle for quite some time.

Anyway, with temperatures returning to acceptable levels managed to put in some more work in the garage this weekend, and quite pleased to have been able to iron out the problem with the rudder posts and steering compartment. Barely had enough room to sort this out and also allow for the VDS well cutout at the same time, literally had a fraction of a inch to spare, and barely that. Needed to give this quite some thought and was a fiddly job given the limited space available.
The rudder tubes were oiled using ball-bearing grease used for bicycles, hope this will be ok.
Had to remove parts of the some of the bulkheads to allow the rudder T-rig sufficient turning arcs, so mental note for next model: better think this true in advance rather than have to do these last-minute adjustments !  <*<

Have opted for a self-made pull-push rod, made up of two different diameters of brass wire, to connect the servo with the rudders. Both rudders were joined together with a brass rod, and I made a little jig to ensure both rudders were perfectly aligned when fixing this connecting rod in place. I can only pray this arrangement will prove to be entirely durable for there will not be any way of accessing this compartment once the deck is glued in place - fingers cross and may she sail into eternity in this fashion !  :police:

Next step was to start building the well and limbo compartments, have used 1 mm ply for this, for enhanced structural strength. This will next be covered with plasticard, for the bulkheads in the Limbo well at least, as this will allow me to add the detail to the plasticard before fitting in place.

Also drilled out the anchor tubes and marked the positions of the roller fairleads, capstans, anchor chain intakes, etc..

Last thing I did was to glue the chequered deckplates onto the forecastle deck, so not a bad day's work.

Hope you will enjoy the photographs.

E

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: March 19, 2017, 07:09:30 pm »

Second batch of photographs

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: March 19, 2017, 07:10:23 pm »

Third and last set

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2017, 09:58:56 pm »

Complex but attractive work you are doing there. I like your weights, the idea of having blunt weight or targetted weight in one unit is clever.

Did you make them or adapt some useful things?
Pond weed is your enemy

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2017, 08:19:02 pm »

Thanks for the question regarding the weights, I am not sure what they are properly called, but there is a bit of a history here - my dad used to be a shipbuilder and this is one of those bits n bobs that we bequeathed to me, my suspicion is that they were used on drawing boards before the arrival of digital drawing, most likely to keep a curved ruler in place when drawing ship's lines....
Me for my part, I am quite pleased to be continuing the family shipbuilding traditions, albeit on a smaller scale !

They do come in handy I must say, and are great when having to keep things fixed in place.

Cheers
E

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: March 20, 2017, 08:22:57 pm »

They are steeped in nautical history. That is a good thing:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: March 21, 2017, 09:18:49 pm »

:-)) {-) ....you can say that again....

Did not have too much time tonight but did not want to sit idle either so thought it a good idea to start work on the second breakwater - I am intending to use tinplate as easier to bend into shape, and rather than use the former trial-and-error method I thought I'd be better of making a 'negative'. Comes out a good piece of scrap balsa and a lot of dust, but have my template now after a good hour's work.
Will be wrapping the metal sheet around it, mark out the sides and cut out the correct shape.

A few snapshots

E

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: March 31, 2017, 09:07:17 pm »

Started to do some work on the superstructure, progress relatively slow but at least still progressing....hope to do more this WE.
Am using 1 mm plasticard sheet, and building it upside down making sure it fits the deck coaming I will put in place around the deck cut-out giving access to the battery space.

A few snapshots

E

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: April 02, 2017, 08:52:21 pm »

Did some more work on the superstructure and also added the anti-fouling red below the waterline.

E

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: April 02, 2017, 09:43:56 pm »

Tidy bit of internal strengthening on the superstructure Edmund. That styrene can tend to warp.
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 23 queries.