Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS DARING  (Read 17459 times)

snowwolflair

Re: HMS DARING
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2010, 04:10:22 pm »

We had as many ships surveying the worlds oceans as we now have policing them

Shame non of them did charts for the channels round the Isle of Sky   %)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2010, 06:07:56 pm »

Might be interesting to hear readers versions of what a "chart" actually is.
A clue.....theyr'e nothing like a motoway map. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

snowwolflair

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2010, 07:30:22 pm »

Im thinking about depth of water recorder chart.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2010, 08:36:40 pm »

Im thinking about depth of water recorder chart.
Depth of water as shown on a chart? As water level changes with tides etc. where do you wish to draw a datum line?
Shallow water with sandy bottoms (no pun intended) tends to change minute by minute. A "recorder" will only show you where you've been, and not where your'e going. The "trend" may be useful, but not 100% reliable as the depth may suddenly increase.
More ideas? BY.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2010, 08:55:01 pm »

Many yachts now have forward looking depth sounders. Do not naval/commercial ships have similar? Granted they are short range and yachts can stop pretty quickly but they are low power instruments.

Colin

DARLEK1

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2010, 10:57:12 pm »

I though this thread was about the type 45 destroyer HMS Daring, not how charts are made etc? ;D

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2010, 11:27:50 pm »

Point taken Colin. But the forward looking thing doesn't tell you what's on the other side. If you see what I mean.
On more than one occassion as a Nav I had to make a decision to either let the ship "slide" over a sand bar or find a way around it.
Only 2 areas in the world did I find it "expedient" to charge at the sand bar (fingers, toes, legs and so on crossed) and just hope I'd made the right choice. The main area of concern was always the SE corner of the UK. Those sand banks moved with every change of tide, so they had to be "soft" and not puddled in. If the operational requirements hadn't sort of demanded that "some risks" had to be taken then I could well have not recommended it to the command. As one (well respected) Captain observed, it was my Masters Certificate at risk as well as his. But get the mathematics right, hold the nerve and trust in the lord.
I very much doubt if commercial ships have something as exotic as a forward looking sonar/depth finder. Just the opposite I think. Observe the standard commercial ship approaching a port. See how far away from the port entrance the ship stops and waits for a pilot. Close quarter meetings and shallowish water give many "deep sea" Masters palpitations.
      But, having said that, and I know you are sort of familiar with nautical charts, many forum members are not. Hence my query.
To somebody living in (say) Nottingham a nautical chart would just be gibberish. So many symbols, odd lines and so on.
I also know (to my cost) that this is a "Model Boat" forum, but that in itself indicates that the members are at least a little bit interested in ships. Marine charts are a vital part of that. Sorry to go on for so long, but so many misconceptions get aired here. BY.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2010, 11:30:00 pm »

I though this thread was about the type 45 destroyer HMS Daring, not how charts are made etc? ;D
Darlek, as you should have realised by now, all topics on this forum tend to go a bit sideways...BY.

DARLEK1

« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2010, 11:31:31 pm »

Can this topic be split please guys? Charts have absoloutlely nothing to do with the original topic.
 Paul...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.