Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Downsizing (Home)  (Read 2538 times)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Downsizing (Home)
« on: November 07, 2016, 02:17:22 pm »

A while ago I mentioned the possibility of downsizing that has now become a probability in the next couple of years, we have come to realise in our advancing years we really don't need a three story house, and with the size of home we are thinking of there simply is not going to be enough room for all my large warships so with some regret I have decided to try and sell most of them, I know these large expensive models don't sell that easily so I'll start the process soon rather than wait till we are starting our move.
I will offer them on Mayhem first, over the next few months, I'm still building HMS Brocklesby at the moment whether I'll finish her or offer her for sale as almost complete I'm not sure at this time, as I have built all of them to work from one transmitter, they will be offered as  (ready to go just needs transmitter)
I should have enough room to keep my Springer Tug and my little sports boat for a bit of fun now and then. ok2

Joe. :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: Downsizing (Home)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 09:19:02 pm »

I cannot say that I am not very sad to hear that Joe, but I respect your decisions and wish you well in your move and also that your models go to the best homes for a life of sailing and enjoyment.

You know how much we have enjoyed your builds and marvelled at the extremely well built and detailed models you have created. I had wondered how you were doing as we hadn't seen you about of late and am glad to hear you are about:O)

I hope to meet you at a show in Portsmouth or thereabouts next year.
Pond weed is your enemy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 09:26:49 pm »

Well Joe........ :-)

The important thing is that you build threads will live on here in MBM archives :-))...........so will be available to inspire newer/younger model builders

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 11:22:37 am »

Thanks for your thoughts guys,  Yes it's been a huge decision as we've lived here for 32 years, but I've noticed, or should I say have had to admit that the two flights of stairs are becoming difficult, especially with a bit of Angina, so taking a 4 foot boat for a sail or several of them to a show has become an ordeal, this of course is just one of the reasons for deciding to downsize, but I've had the pleasure and sense of achievement in building them which for me is the main part of the hobby.
Don't get me wrong if a bit of Angina is all I have to contend with at 71 I count myself lucky.

We hope to make the move in two years all going well so I have plenty of time to find good homes for my warships.

Joe

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 11:32:17 am »

Sorry to hear that Joe. Having recently moved ourselves primarily with an eye on aging I expect it is the sensible thing to do.
However it is an opportunity for the rest of us too and it will be interesting to see what you will be selling - I might be tempted as I'd quite like a warship but can't see me building one now.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 08:07:13 pm »

well I've spent some time today drawing up the descriptions of each ship and the difficult bit putting a reasonable price on each, the main problem is they will be collect only but we'll see, I'll enter them on the Sales section shortly I have five for sale so as per the rules I'll enter them separately.

Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 10:31:37 am »

Three ships are now listed in sales, Bramble, Zulu, and  Solebay ok2

Coventry and Enigma are now sold subject to sales completion. :-))

Joe

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 02:34:26 pm »

Joe,
Sad too see your models up for sale, hope they go to a good home.
Regards David

DavidHughes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 09:42:49 pm »

Just saw your beautiful models for sale...
You must be sad to see them go - I hope they find homes worthy of the effort that clearly went into them
 :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 10:56:07 pm »

Yes a decision that wasn't taken lightly, but as previously mentioned getting these large sometimes heavy models down two flights of stairs and back up again is no fun at 71 with Angina,  tripping down stairs while carrying one is always a possibility, the damage to the model or myself dose not bear thinking about, and to be honest I tend to loose interest in a model once it's finished, and I'm looking for the next build, well in a smaller home I'm going to have to make small models. {:-{

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 11:08:09 pm »

Ooh, I am sorely tempted by either the frigate or destroyer. They are both lovely models. Unfortunately neither is the 'perfect' class for me *, so at the moment I'm resisting the urge to impulse buy - hoping someone else will jump in and remove the temptation.

(* a Leander or a Daring and I'd have been powerless to resist  :embarrassed:  )

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 11:13:10 pm »

I think you are being very sensible Joe. This way you have control over what happens to your models and you are opening up the opportunity for downsizing your hobby in line with physical realities without having to give it up altogether. Full marks from me!

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.