Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ultimate Speed Controller.  (Read 7942 times)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Ultimate Speed Controller.
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2007, 07:22:40 pm »

Rats,
My point is how do I know it will last years till it has lasted years!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

rats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2007, 07:49:29 pm »

You dont !  but what we do know is that most other ones are about as reliable as as a politicians promise  - so personally I'd take the risk...

Mike_K

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2007, 07:54:54 pm »

You dont !  but what we do know is that most other ones are about as reliable as as a politicians promise  - so personally I'd take the risk...

Not me.  I have enough expensive RC equipment that didn't last.  I just bought Astro Flight esc's for the CV-6 Enterprise because I know they're proven.  I waited to get them at a good price though.  I wasn't going to pay $100 each for them.

Mike

pakirk

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.rcmodelworkshop.com
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2007, 01:11:53 pm »

Hi all. An update on the Speed Controllers.
First of all thank you all for your input. I have tried my best to accommodate all your ideas with a fine act of balancing the cost / Features ratio.

They are now ready. I will be taking some to the  Ellsmere show this weekend.
Please feel free to come and have a look and pass your comments.  I am trading
Under the name of RC Model Workshop.
Hear as a brief rundown of the features.

•   1Volt to 30Volt (20Cels) operation 30A 1000W (MK1)
•   1Volt to 48Volt (32Cels) operation 15A 700W (MK2)
•   Very efficient, low loss system 0.001Ω (MK1)
•   Easy step by step setup (visual and audible)
•   Battery under - voltage protection (prevents deep discharge)
•   Programmable acceleration
•   Fully proportional independent speed limit (forwards and reverse)
•   Smart fully automatic variable frequency (maximise motor efficiency and battery life)
•    Prop RPM detection on reverse / forward changeover (protecting you motor drive system and internal components, dramatically extending there life)
•   High quality silicone hook-up wire

Thanks

catengineman

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2007, 09:04:00 pm »

Hi pakirk,

I have read this thread with interest and there has been one thought crossing my mind regarding ESC's
There seems to be a lot of modelers out here with two or more ESC's in their builds, I for one.
This for me means that the battery system has to have a power bus rail type of idea or multiple batteries this inturn means two power cables for each ESC and that can and does take up a lot of room

Could a ESC be made with say two outputs? in pairs but only one input? I know that there would have to be two control circuit wires (+ / signal  - / signal ) or whatever you want to call them and there would be a need for the power to run the controller but in my view these are small wires and are easy to route
Just a thought and if it was possible could multiple units be made IE: 3  or  4 ESC's in the same "BOX"?

Richard,

pakirk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2007, 10:34:37 pm »

Hi Rats
Rats,
My point is how do I know it will last years till it has lasted years!!
Thanks that’s a good point

Easy answer I offer a TWO year warranty, My ESC are repairable so if you do manage to kill one I will fix it. FREE of charge, except for if you have connected the main power battery back to front for a prolonged amount of time, there will be a small charge to cover the cost of the FET + P&P as this is the only part that would be damaged. My ESC record any faults in its onboard memory so I can quickly and easily diagnose the fault.
 I hope that’s a fare answer.

Thanks

Catengineman
Could a ESC be made with say two outputs? in pairs but only one input? I know that there would have to be two control circuit wires (+ / signal  - / signal ) or whatever you want to call them and there would be a need for the power to run the controller but in my view these are small wires and are easy to route
Just a thought and if it was possible could multiple units be made IE: 3  or  4 ESC's in the same "BOX"?
Hi I offer a customized solution for anybody’s needs.

Yes I have made multiple units IE: 3 or 4 ESC's in the same "BOX" But to be honest it does not reduce the cost very much.
This is a custom unit and does make a very neat solution.

The only concern for customers is if a fault should occur in one of the units, whilst they are all independently running in one box, you can still run the other motors. You would loose the unit whilst it was repaired.

Thanks

Telstar

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2007, 11:48:49 am »

Hi pakirk
Following this thread, I must agree with one of the earlier remarks referring to the search for the Holy Grail,
However while reading the requirements I did notice all of them referred to the power side requirements of a speed controller.
I think a good addition to a controller for use on scale models(but not limited to them) would be a buffered output of the input signal for the addition of smoke unit, motor sound unit etc.
Reason, I recently used 'Y' leads to couple a speed control and a sound unit both of which automatically detect 'off position' and setup. Each unit works by its self, but together it's chaos. I traced this back to the 'noise' the ESC was putting back down the signal (servo)lead causing the sound unit to start up erratically. I eventually solved (nearly) my problem with a different ESC, but when I tried to add a Smoke unit with another 'Y' lead, You guessed it chaos.

I have build a signal buffer/ splitter to give me decoupling which works on the bench but 'sea trials' have yet to come

With the increased use of sound, smoke, mixers, etc. an 'auxiliary' socket (or two) my be a viable addition

cheers Tom

pakirk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2007, 07:37:52 pm »

Hi Telstal.
My ESC does have an input filter to prevent any noise comeing from my ESC back down the signal wire. I have tested it using several Y splitterts with 4 ESC, a servo and sound unit and founed no problems.
thanks
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.