Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ESC-60Amp. versus 15amp control response question  (Read 1665 times)

rayna

• Full Mayhemer
ESC-60Amp. versus 15amp control response question
« on: November 15, 2016, 04:26:52 am »

%) Hi . I have two brushed motors to put into a friends Billings Smit Nederland and in looking about for ESCs the choices out there are the reliable Mtronic units which are at about 22 pounds UK each for 15 amp (which is probably well above requirement) Using two 8000 rpm 12 volt Jaycar motors.
Hobbyking 60 A Quicrun (with reverse) are available at about $20US. These seem to be the lowest amp rated ones from Hobbyking that still have a reverse. So economies in using those provided they work. ( I note earlier "problem" thread below).
However my question irrespective of which ESC I purchase is . If I have a motor that draws say 8 - 10amps max do I get the same speed control responsiveness with either unit. ie would a 60 amp unit be less responsive than a 15 amp.
thanks
Rayna

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: ESC-60Amp. versus 15amp control response question
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 09:14:59 am »

That depends almost entirely on the software in each unit and the responsiveness of the motor connected to it.  Some ESCs offer power very gradually, some ensure a certain start by having their lowest power output at about 10% or more.  With PWM ESCs as long as the ESC can supply the current that the motor wants, it is true that any ESC that can drive a big motor can equally well drive a small one with the same level of control.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

rayna

• Full Mayhemer
Re: ESC-60Amp. versus 15amp control response question
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 08:55:07 pm »

thanks Malcolm,
I guess the proof is in the eating so as I have both ESCs myself I will try them each out. Thank you for reply.
Rayna
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.