Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Malcs Hms Fearless build  (Read 20300 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: Malcs Hms Fearless build
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2016, 10:30:06 pm »

Make it so!
Pond weed is your enemy

malcf

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2016, 02:12:41 pm »

Well Fearless had her maiden voyage today  :-)),It went very well I transferred about 3 litres of water into the forward tank using an external 5 litre container with a 12 volt pump and hose attached (sorry no pictures) this made her slightly heavy at the bow, then some was pumped from the bow tank into the stern tank to trim her up, She ran well on the two geared Mfa motors 2.5.1 until the starboard prop fouled on a discarded surgical glove in the pond  >>:-( after untangling the well deck  was flooded by transferring more water to the rear tank and lowering the stern door, I will have to stick some labels on the transmitter to ensure I operate the appropriate pump ;D I also need more travel on the rudders, this I can do by moving the clevises on the rudder shafts inwards towards the shafts, Summing up the experience when the superstructure and heli deck are fitted less water will be required if any to trim her out, I initially used 3 12 volt 7ah sla batteries 2 for the motors and one for the pumps.
!Note to self must build superstructure as light as possible.

Dave Cook

• Cookie
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Keep on Rockin
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2016, 07:18:50 pm »

I Was there , Malc it was very successful and i congratulate you her a great first wetting , FIRST CLASS.

Best Regards Dave

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2016, 08:38:03 pm »

I can't wait to see piccies and film perhaps of the ship at work.

Congratulations at a sucessful test. I am pleased that a silly bit of litter did not ruin an otherwise easy run.
Pond weed is your enemy

malcf

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2016, 09:01:24 pm »

Its sad to say but a bit of carelessly discarded waste can also be very harmful to the wildlife in and around our pond. >>:-(
Alas Fearless has no superstructure yet only a partial deck, a lot of work to do yet, but enough done to prove the concept and also the rudder throw has now been increased. :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2016, 09:55:04 pm »

Yes, I hate seeing rubbish left on beaches and in lakes etc so often only metres away from a litter bin  >>:-( Seeing the video of a Turtle havng a six inch long piece of drinking straw pulled out of its nose was moving.

To business, even though your model is in progress, it is obviously a successful build and you must be releived that everything should remain so for when you come to fit stuff to her.

Pond weed is your enemy

malcf

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2016, 11:43:39 pm »

It would be nice to have a couple of working landing craft as well, they will need a lot of ingenuity to build due to their small size and also the miniaturised electronics to go in them! :o

steve pickstock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2017, 07:11:24 pm »

The Deans micro system would fit inside a a vehicle payload.

http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/index.php?topic=595.0

madrob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2017, 07:45:01 pm »

There was a guy on modelwarshipsuk called snowolflair (David) that made a laser cut kit of a fearless landing craft what he sold, I've just checked the thread on the forum but all the pictures have gone.l am sure he used to be on mayhem as well.

malcf

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2017, 09:06:47 pm »

Thanks for the link steve  :-)) although it is rather expensive, I have a small ready to run power boat from Howes models c/w transmitter that I may rob all the bits from or buy another as they are fun to use now and again it retailed around £28 if I recall and is very similar to the equipment in the deans kit but with the advantage of the transmitter is supplied as well,i have a futaba transmitter set up for the fearless using the dss 2.4 system so it would be a bit fiddly changing modules etc at the pond side.
Yes I did see them on modelwarship uk but I thought he had stopped doing them due to the cost of materials, I will most likely make them out of 0.5 styrene or thereabouts, I have been building the central divider in the docking bay using printed abs channels to replicate the steel uprights and have lined them with 1.5 ply to simulate the planking I did consider using individual match sticks but the extra width of these would reduce the width for the landing craft to fit between, I reckon I will have to be good at steering them in O0
Below are a few pics of my slow progress over the xmas period- I have made the helli deck removable with small magnets and have embossed the tiedowns using a modified soldering iron tip with a x sawn into it, the iron is temperature controlled and it was set to about 150 deg its lowest setting and it was a matter of positioning the iron above the position and giving it a quick stab and pulling away quickly after experimenting on some scrap styrene first O0.
also there are some pics of printed capstans and the cable lead casting and some bollards, the ply sides for the well deck have been scored using a black ball point pen to simulate the planking and they now need some sort of wood stain on them to darken them I have dark oak in mind as I think ebony will be to dark {:-{

Dave Cook

• Cookie
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Keep on Rockin
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2017, 06:42:31 pm »

Hia Malc , Yes with the dock being 150 wide minus the divider and the plan showing 76mm each for the landing craft you have no chance , i a going to make my dock slightly larger.

:-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Dave

malcf

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2017, 06:50:50 pm »

You will need a wider door, I have measured the height of the landing craft and have noticed they are too tall for the dock and am thinking about scaling down the landing craft to suit, I reckon 180-190% should do it.
A rivet counter would notice but I doubt if anyone else would unless you are entering it in a show.

malcf

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2017, 07:30:05 pm »

Dave as drawn the width of the well deck is 148mm minus the wood lining leaving 2 gaps of around 69mm and the width of the landing craft are 75mm measured off the plan and the height of the well measured at the stern door is 89mm to the overhead gantry, the height of the l/craft is 95mm to top of radar, I have made my well deck 2mm wider at 150mm and also there is an upward slope to the floor section so I reckon my best bet is to scale down the craft to suit, a bit like our helicopters at 1/100 scale.

Dave Cook

• Cookie
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Keep on Rockin
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2017, 06:40:52 pm »

I know what you mean Malc ,

Regards Dave

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2017, 10:45:11 pm »

the height of the l/craft is 95mm to top of radar

Could the radar mast be lowered by 6mm or so to accommodate ?  or would it be too obvious to viewers...

just me thinking out loud again. %)

Regards,

Ray.

malcf

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2017, 12:45:12 pm »

I reckon it will be a combination of scaling down and cropping the radar masts as height will be dependant on how much water is required for the landing craft to float. :embarrassed:

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2017, 05:22:49 pm »

aaah yes, I hadn't taken the flooding of the dock into account. Good thinking there Malc.

Regards,

Ray.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2017, 08:48:17 pm »

It is possible to make a landing craft that's may be a bit thinner than an airfix 1/72nd scale, I've done it, butchered two micro servo's and had the props directly fitted to the spindles, (see youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgJg_S-efes ). more of a tank control method.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

malcf

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2017, 10:18:12 pm »

Did you just use the motors with speed controllers or use the circuit boards with the servos?

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2017, 01:25:45 pm »

Sorry for the late reply, I used the whole lot - even some of the servo body around the motor casing - which is why their that diameter, the POT is disguised in the well deck area of the vessel with a drum with rope on, it allows the pot to be adjusted externally, so there is a drum on either side of the ladder into the well deck one for each motor, surprisingly I think the actual prop from the kit is what on this boat, it has a good turn of speed. Why the pot is not set - well these servos don't always stick to the same setting even if you don't change anything, I sometimes got prop creep when building it, so I decided to have them adjustable from the outside.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2017, 01:27:04 pm »

Steve Pickstock was doing a extended version, but the thread stopped - any update steve?  %)

malcf

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2017, 04:05:27 pm »

So am i right in assuming there are no speed controllers involved and the servo motors are driven by the circuit board inside and the pot has been disabled? in some way and the drive is connected directly to the motor shafts?.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2017, 10:38:10 am »

sorry for the delay again - busy boarding out my loft - not the floor though - so I only check later, yes all the internals of the servo are used, the pot is set for central so the shaft of the motor does not rotate - though on mine they do creep so I have to adjust the pot ever so slightly, hence the reels in the wheel deck which are attached to the pots shaft, I am quite fortuanate that the motor shafts haven't seized and after a year they still worked, the vessel hasn't been used for the last couple of years so will need to test run it again.

the servos circuit board is the speed controller, but as you can see from the video, it does have a sufficiently good turn of speed, probably well over scale.

Dave Cook

• Cookie
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Keep on Rockin
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2017, 07:11:46 pm »

Hi All, There have been no new updates from Malc for a bit as he is poorly in hospital at the moment ,
He cant wait to get on with Fearless again  . I am sure we all want him to make a speedy recovery.
Get well soon

Regards Dave  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2017, 08:15:19 pm »

Thanks Dave. Do pass on my regards and get well wishes. I look forward to seeing his return to quality model making soon all recovered like  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.