Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS DEFENDER INFO AND REBUILD  (Read 6419 times)

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
HMS DEFENDER INFO AND REBUILD
« on: November 22, 2016, 01:11:45 pm »

First of all let me apologize for the delay in the update on Compass Rose thread,( Illness and other things ) will be done soon I hope. O0
Now the reason for this thread, I have been given an old model of HMS DEFENDER HO7, WW2 vintage, all I know is, it is about 20+ years old, and was built by a PETER DICKINS, not sure if spelt right. The hull is fiber glass, the rest looks like ply.
Can anyone shed any light on it, also as i want to restore it any pics would be a help. The esc looks a home build not certain if its 35MHz or 2.4 GHz ? {:-{ . Some parts are missing but without a plan or pics cant tell. I have also been told I have HMS HOOD and another ship  to come as well may be same scale. Thank you in advance.
Chris :-)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS DEFENDER INFO AND REBUILD
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 04:00:18 pm »

Hi there,

There is a possibility that this model may have been built from the late Mr Norman A Ough's plans, which are originally for HMS Daring 1932 - a D Class destroyer - I know (I think it's Deans - who do a model of a D Class) but I am sure that is at 1:96 scale and if you ask them nicely you may be able to purchase a set of plans for the D Class.

Your speed controller - at first sight - I thought it was a Maplins' Kit from about 1980 - but - having a 2nd look - its not.

It may be a very first ACTion one or, I strongly believe - its the Hunter one.   One of the very first ones of the home made built kits.   If it still works, it should work on 27 or 40 mghz and I am sure, if you have the right receiver, it should work on 2.4

Hope this is of some help.

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

furball

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 04:37:57 pm »

HMS Hood in 1/128 is a shade under 7 feet in length... :-))

Lance

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 04:52:02 pm »

From what I can see of the speed controller, it is virtually the same circuit as the Maplins kit and I still use a similar circuit for some of my projects although the ZN409 IC is getting ever scarcer these days.  It can be used with any PWM RC set up if the components haven't been damaged or degraded.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 05:05:40 pm »

http://www.fleetscale.com/

just had a mosey around Fleetscale's website - some really nice interesting stuff there and I believe this maybe where your hull came from for the Destroyer.   It may be worth your while having a word with them to see if they have some fittings to replace the ones which are missing off your model.   I have dealt with them before and they are a good Company.

John

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 08:40:35 pm »

Could his name have been Peter Dicker who left Gosport a few years ago to live in Cyprus for health reasons but then sadly passed away while there.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 10:01:22 pm »

Could his name have been Peter Dicker who left Gosport a few years ago to live in Cyprus for health reasons but then sadly passed away while there.

Bob
 It could be, I'm only going by what I'm told , but as I'm in Cyprus I think you could be right.  Thanks
Chris

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 07:28:35 am »

Chris,
If it was Peter he took quite a few models with him and several large ones too.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 07:37:09 am »

Thanks thats a great help, I think the model of HMS HOOD is also one of his, but not got it yet so don't know the size, etc. I am still trying to find good detail pics or plans of D Class Destroyers, can't evern find any books yet  <:( . His collection must have been broken up after his death. They must still be on the island.
Chris

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 06:34:09 am »

So, I have had a look at this model and because it's been sitting around for a long time it will need a complete overhaul. rudder servo faulty, motors one ok the other seized, prop shafts seized, wiring corroded, esc unknown {:-{ . The hull and structure good and now looks better for a clean, will do some pics latter.
I have replaced the rudder servo and now have that working. Managed to get the motors out without to much damage, replaced with two from my spares box.
Very difficult working in such a tight space as I don't want to damage the deck and structure. That's it for now, update and pics next time.
Chris

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 09:18:38 am »

Topic renamed   :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Yarpie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 07:13:15 pm »

Bob

Bob,

I too immediately thought of Peter Dicker and his work.

Had not heard of his passing, so RIP Peter, you had some stunning models.

Sandy.

Yarpie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 07:16:49 pm »

So, I have had a look at this model and because it's been sitting around for a long time it will need a complete overhaul. rudder servo faulty, motors one ok the other seized, prop shafts seized, wiring corroded, esc unknown {:-{ . The hull and structure good and now looks better for a clean, will do some pics latter.
I have replaced the rudder servo and now have that working. Managed to get the motors out without to much damage, replaced with two from my spares box.
Very difficult working in such a tight space as I don't want to damage the deck and structure. That's it for now, update and pics next time.
Chris

Chris, glad to see that you've taken to refurbishing Peter's DEFENDER.

If i remember correctly he had built a 1:48 scale Corvette (or similar) with working seaboat falls etc. Does that still survive??

Sandy.

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 05:34:58 am »

Hi Sandy,  regarding Peters other models I can only guess that they are on the island but where. as far as I know there isn't any boat clubs like there is in UK. so they must be in the hands of private collectors if they survived . I have been told that I'm getting a box with HMS HOOD in it plus another ship that's in the same box, but what it is, I won't know until I get it on Tuesday, will let you all know. I'm still looking for anything on the D class destroyers, ie pics, or about the restoration.

Chris

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 08:30:30 am »

The models of HMS HOOD turned up and I was disappointed to find they were two Heller kits, and not very good, broken, and bad paint job, one had been converted to elec but that is also in a bad way, thought they might have been like the Defender model.  More on the DEFENDER model soon.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2016, 09:04:18 am »

Hi Chris
That's disappointing to hear, a 1/128 scale Hood would have been fantastic to play with. Look forward with your progress with Defender in the near future. :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Yarpie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2016, 03:23:52 pm »

Chris,

in your quest to glean information about HMS DEFENDER H07, may I direct you to the following website:

http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14215&highlight=HMS+DEFENDER

This particular link directs you to information about the 1950's HMS DEFENDER and it's perambulations around Cyprus circa 1955, but the site proper; World Naval Ships Forums (Google it) will show very interesting images of H07 within it's forums.

Joining www.wnsf.com is free and you will find that it is probably the most informative website on "the international Grey Funnel Line" worldwide.

Moderators; sorry to use this site to promote another site, but in the interests of helping another member, perhaps it can be forgiven??

Happy navigating and sorry that HMS HOOD and others were a disappointment.

Kind regards,

Sandy (Destroyerman elsewhere). ;)

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2016, 06:18:31 am »

Thank you both, as I have now retired to Cyprus, I found the site on Cyprus operations interesting. You don't hear much about it over here, or anything about Cyprus in WW2.

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2016, 07:09:00 am »

Can anyone tell me if any of the decks on a D class destroyer were wood ?  the model is painted in a tan brown colour which I take is to represent wood, but looking at some pics of other destroyers they look like steel, if so what colour grey would it be? Can any one confirm this please.

Chris

furball

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2016, 07:34:20 am »

I would imagine they were steel, but some of the decks may well have been covered in Corticene, which is a brown, linoleum type substance.

Lance

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2016, 12:24:28 pm »

Thank you Lance, not heard of Corticene so I shall have to look it up to see if it was used on the D class.

Chris

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2016, 06:15:03 pm »

I believe all the decks were steel, and cortisone was used to coat the decks over living areas. By this time wooden decks were the preserve of capital vessels and small vessels.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2016, 06:24:05 pm »

Hi, just thought a reasonably cheap and informative book aimed at model makers is the, "British Destroyers A-I and Tribal Classes by Les Brown ISBN : 978.1.84832-023-9 Ship Craft No11 Copyright @Seaforth Publishing 2009. Not that very expensive with a lot of info in it.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2016, 06:30:00 pm »

Hi ya Chris
As they used to say on Blue Peter "Here is one I made earlier" :-)  the grey decks are steel and the reddish/brownish decks are representative of linoleum and I used Tamiya Acrylic paint XF79 for that.  You may not see the pics, however, if you click on the codes underneath the little boxes where the pics are supposed to be - it normally brings the pictures back.   I think some pictures are often lost if the forum crashes or whatever  :embarrassed:

John

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3462.msg67010.html#msg67010

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2016, 07:52:54 pm »

Thank you dodes for your input and the info on the book which I have just ordered.
John thank you for the link to your thread, the pics of your ship will help me alot, she is beautiful well done :-)) 

Chris

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.