Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery Terminals  (Read 1789 times)

tizdaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Battery Terminals
« on: November 19, 2016, 03:12:32 AM »

Hi guys,

For connecting the power leads to my battery, should i just solder ring terminals to the wire then just attach the ring terminal to battery using the screw? (My battery has the screw type connector).

Cheers :)

plastic

• Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
Re: Battery Terminals
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 09:38:10 AM »

Best to use a ring terminal  -soldered onto the end of the wire for security.

mrlownotes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 11:39:54 AM »

I have a model using the 12V 20Ah batteries with the bolt on connectors.
It became a pain unbolting battery leads for removal.
I made up short 'Ring-to-Deans' adapter leads. Battery removal is now easy peasy without the need of a spanner and the adapters stay on the batteries.
Bintur Ellenbach

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 04:01:57 PM »

Just don't use spade terminals.  They will work their way loose, leaving your boat in the middle of the pond.

tizdaz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 04:10:39 PM »

Cheers guys :)

@mrlownotes thats what i was thinking of to do, cheers! :)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 10:15:09 AM »

An advantage of having a fairly permanent adapter like the Deans (or some other high current polarized connector) fitted is that it is much more difficult to connect a battery reversed.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

inertia

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 11:00:54 AM »

An advantage of having a fairly permanent adapter like the Deans (or some other high current polarized connector) fitted is that it is much more difficult to connect a battery reversed.
But not impossible, Malcolm. Believe it or not Iain Lewis says that he had a customer who had blown up a NiMH pack by managing to connect it to the charger with reversed polarity.......through a Tamiya plug and socket! Stupidity of that magnitude requires a really determined idiot.
There's a fiver waiting for the first person to manage it with a Deans connector!
DM

Steve Dean

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 06:08:23 PM »

Oh dear Mr Inertia ....... your many years of experience should know better than to put down a challenge like this. One of the "which way round do resistors go" brigade will be making concerted efforts to claim your fiver as I type.
Look the horizon ........ I see smoke rising !  O0

PS. I note you too have visits planned to the medical folk ...... welcome to the club. And there's me thinking we're both sprightly youngsters. Hope all is well.

inertia

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 06:27:57 PM »

Oh dear Mr Inertia ....... your many years of experience should know better than to put down a challenge like this. One of the "which way round do resistors go" brigade will be making concerted efforts to claim your fiver as I type.
Look the horizon ........ I see smoke rising !  O0

PS. I note you too have visits planned to the medical folk ...... welcome to the club. And there's me thinking we're both sprightly youngsters. Hope all is well.
Ah - Stevie Steve... You should know me better by now. Nowhere did I say where the fiver was waiting or whose it is.   8)
I think "sprightly" is a bit wide of the mark in my case, but thanks for the kind thought. A Choline PET+MRI scan is due on Wednesday at St James' in Leeds; results the following week. They are excellent people there, and there's a pub on the way back (well - just outside Wakefield) which serves the best steak and ale pie in the world. I hope I can remember the way there!
Finally, if Tony Oliff is reading this.... ;D

(WTH has this to do with battery terminals? Sorry.)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 07:04:01 PM »

You can find the way using Inertial navigation Dave.

Colin

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 07:11:15 PM »

But not impossible, Malcolm. Believe it or not Iain Lewis says that he had a customer who had blown up a NiMH pack by managing to connect it to the charger with reversed polarity.......through a Tamiya plug and socket! Stupidity of that magnitude requires a really determined idiot.
There's a fiver waiting for the first person to manage it with a Deans connector!
DM
I did only say "much more difficult".  He who managed to insert a Tamiya connector (assuming that both ends were correctly wired) the reversed must have been a strong lad to get the round in the dee or 'tother way round.  I would have expected the charger to go and let out the magic smoke first myself.  Of course, to quote from Mike Hardings tale of the 14 pound budgie, "With enough effort and unlimited Vaseline , it is possible to insert anything into anything else".
I have heard that, with persistence, it is possible to totally discharge and reform the plates of a lead acid battery in reverse like that, but it isn't really a useful trick or a recommended procedure.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up