Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery Terminals  (Read 2832 times)

tizdaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boom!
Battery Terminals
« on: November 19, 2016, 03:12:32 am »

Hi guys,

For connecting the power leads to my battery, should i just solder ring terminals to the wire then just attach the ring terminal to battery using the screw? (My battery has the screw type connector).

Cheers :)
My large-scale TID Build Website: http://www.tizdaz.co.uk/forum

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/RCTidTug/

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
Re: Battery Terminals
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 09:38:10 am »

Best to use a ring terminal  -soldered onto the end of the wire for security.

mrlownotes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 11:39:54 am »

I have a model using the 12V 20Ah batteries with the bolt on connectors.
It became a pain unbolting battery leads for removal.
I made up short 'Ring-to-Deans' adapter leads. Battery removal is now easy peasy without the need of a spanner and the adapters stay on the batteries.
Bintur Ellenbach

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 04:01:57 pm »

Just don't use spade terminals.  They will work their way loose, leaving your boat in the middle of the pond.

tizdaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boom!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 04:10:39 pm »

Cheers guys :)

@mrlownotes thats what i was thinking of to do, cheers! :)
My large-scale TID Build Website: http://www.tizdaz.co.uk/forum

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/RCTidTug/

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 10:15:09 am »

An advantage of having a fairly permanent adapter like the Deans (or some other high current polarized connector) fitted is that it is much more difficult to connect a battery reversed.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

inertia

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 11:00:54 am »

An advantage of having a fairly permanent adapter like the Deans (or some other high current polarized connector) fitted is that it is much more difficult to connect a battery reversed.
But not impossible, Malcolm. Believe it or not Iain Lewis says that he had a customer who had blown up a NiMH pack by managing to connect it to the charger with reversed polarity.......through a Tamiya plug and socket! Stupidity of that magnitude requires a really determined idiot.
There's a fiver waiting for the first person to manage it with a Deans connector!
DM

Steve Dean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 06:08:23 pm »

Oh dear Mr Inertia ....... your many years of experience should know better than to put down a challenge like this. One of the "which way round do resistors go" brigade will be making concerted efforts to claim your fiver as I type.
Look the horizon ........ I see smoke rising !  O0

PS. I note you too have visits planned to the medical folk ...... welcome to the club. And there's me thinking we're both sprightly youngsters. Hope all is well.

inertia

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 06:27:57 pm »

Oh dear Mr Inertia ....... your many years of experience should know better than to put down a challenge like this. One of the "which way round do resistors go" brigade will be making concerted efforts to claim your fiver as I type.
Look the horizon ........ I see smoke rising !  O0

PS. I note you too have visits planned to the medical folk ...... welcome to the club. And there's me thinking we're both sprightly youngsters. Hope all is well.
Ah - Stevie Steve... You should know me better by now. Nowhere did I say where the fiver was waiting or whose it is.   8)
I think "sprightly" is a bit wide of the mark in my case, but thanks for the kind thought. A Choline PET+MRI scan is due on Wednesday at St James' in Leeds; results the following week. They are excellent people there, and there's a pub on the way back (well - just outside Wakefield) which serves the best steak and ale pie in the world. I hope I can remember the way there!
Finally, if Tony Oliff is reading this.... ;D

(WTH has this to do with battery terminals? Sorry.)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 07:04:01 pm »

You can find the way using Inertial navigation Dave.

Colin

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 07:11:15 pm »

But not impossible, Malcolm. Believe it or not Iain Lewis says that he had a customer who had blown up a NiMH pack by managing to connect it to the charger with reversed polarity.......through a Tamiya plug and socket! Stupidity of that magnitude requires a really determined idiot.
There's a fiver waiting for the first person to manage it with a Deans connector!
DM
I did only say "much more difficult".  He who managed to insert a Tamiya connector (assuming that both ends were correctly wired) the reversed must have been a strong lad to get the round in the dee or 'tother way round.  I would have expected the charger to go and let out the magic smoke first myself.  Of course, to quote from Mike Hardings tale of the 14½ pound budgie, "With enough effort and unlimited Vaseline ®, it is possible to insert anything into anything else".
I have heard that, with persistence, it is possible to totally discharge and reform the plates of a lead acid battery in reverse like that, but it isn't really a useful trick or a recommended procedure.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.