Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: No missiles  (Read 7662 times)

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: No missiles
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2016, 03:29:36 pm »

Dodes, 4.5 is not used by Army SP guns any more and has not for a long time, it is now 155mm,  also think you mean SABOT and HESH, SP guns never fired SABOT
I will finish this model

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2016, 08:56:13 pm »

The 4.5inch family of weapons began pre WW1 when a 4.5inch howitzer was used in artillery regiments to support the 18 pounder. Later, the US army undertook development of a 4.5inch weapon that would share design features and ammunition with a British weapon based on converted 60 pounder medium guns.

By the beginning of WW2, the 4.5inch Field howitzer still soldiered on supporting the 18 pounders, and were taken to France in 1939 with the BEF along with a few of the 60pounder conversions. All of these were left in France when we evacuated in May 1940. There were still numerous examples left over and pressed into service to defend the UK, but also in many parts of the world it still served.

In mid 1941 a new weapon had been developed and introduced which was the 4.5inch medium gun or 'Sniper' due to its good range. It first saw action during Operation Crusader in November 1941, and from then on it and it's sister, the 5.5inch medium gun saw service everywhere the British and Imperial army fought.

Thereafter the 4.5 inch weapon type became the preserve of the Royal navy until today.
Pond weed is your enemy

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2016, 05:53:19 pm »

What surprised me was the reduction in the shell weight between the Mk8 on the Leander's to the ones used now, the older one being a heavier shell, when I was shuffling this lot round about had a Br on board with all the info on different ammo carried by us and it was quite interesting. But I remember once when training to be a pilot in Devonport talking to the Jimmy the one on a Leander we were moving, he was telling me he had just found out and it was not common knowledge then that the 4.5 gun was sponsored by the Royal Artillery for shore bombardment and if they did not pay for it , it would be not fitted. His other strong criticism was for the 4 French missiles fitted on the Leander, he said you had to fire all four at one target then run at full speed for the nearest port with a shore crane with a 95ft lift to reload. Also a fiend of mine I saw the other day was very put out , because he said the manufacture of the Sea Sparrows has been sold to a foreign company M N.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2016, 09:22:11 pm »

Australia developed and built the IKARA missile launcher system......with a little chequered history....however it was sold and installed in some British, Argentinean and Chilean Naval vessels.....[am not sure if the Argentineans used it against the Brits in the Falklands]

I was rather fortunate in that this system was classified as an Under Water System O0 and my role was Above Water Systems only.... {-)

It appeared that one IKARA system was in a total state of rebuild  <*< year in ...year out

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwinhrPXhO3QAhVCjZQKHawdAUsQFggmMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FIkara_(missile)&usg=AFQjCNGREmczjWgSNr_z2bvv_DArXalgLg
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.