Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any posts of a build/review of the Caldercraf "Joffre" 1/48th Tug?  (Read 3577 times)

murphy1570

• Full Mayhemer

Hello folks,
I am thinking about having a go at building a tug and like the look of the Caldercraft 1/48 scale kit of the "Joffre",
I understand she also saw service during the first & 2nd world wars, in addition to her normal costal towing etc work,
in more peaceful times. I feel this offers a  fairly wide scope in building and finishing the model (if I succeed in getting that far!!).

I would be very grateful if any fellow member can help me out with any information re the above question,
I have looked through the "tugs & towing" section of the site and couldn't find any builds etc relating to it,
there is every possibility that there are posts re the "Joffre" or similar on the site and I have missed them, knowing me !!.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can  point me in the right direction.

Thanks all the best, John.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer

hi there,  I know this is not a link to a build of the Joffre and you may well already have this information - but - what intrigues me and makes it interesting if you read right at the bottom of the page about the lifeboat rescue.

http://www.tynetugs.co.uk/joffre1916.html

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer

murphy1570

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Any posts of a build/review of the Caldercraf "Joffre" 1/48th Tug?
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 12:22:34 am »

Hello foks.

May I take this opportunity to thank the members who to date have replied to request for information on the above build,
in particular, jb, bluebird and old flyer, for their excellent replies far beyond my excpectations indeed,
complete tutorials, accompanied by excellent photos and even a history of the Tyne Tugs.

Again thanks for all your help folks.

All the best,
John.

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 11:41:06 pm »

John, you are more than welcome.  Good luck with your build and do keep us informed if you can.

Remember ... they LOVE pictures here!!

Tom

murphy1570

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 12:19:58 am »

Hello again folks,
Tom I will try to let you guys know how the build goes when I get started, hopefully some time in January 2017.
Meanwhile I am trying to collect together some bits and pieces that will be needed for the build. I bought an "MFA" 540 (3, pole) motor for the Joffre
on the advice of the model shop when I asked what they recommended, I think on your build Tom you used a different motor do you folks think this motor
will be okay ?, also I already have a 15amp "Mtronics" Viper marine ESC, a 6 volt 4.5 AH sealed lead acid battery,
and a 45mm brass propeller, as against the supplied 40mm white metal propeller supplied with the kit.

I would appreciate any advice from you folks if you think the above combination would be suitable for the " Joffre" without me blowing something up? !!,

Again may I take this opportunity to thank you all for the previous advice and any further help re the above you may give me.
Thanks, all the best,
John.

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 12:17:16 pm »

John, The link I gave you shows a boat that was not built by me, but by a friend of mine. Your drive combinations sounds like it should work fine. The wee bit larger prop should work well. One thing we aften forget is that tugs are not quick, but they need to be strong.

Tom

andyram

• Full Mayhemer
  • Derby M.B.C. Celebrating 40 years afloat 1976-2016
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 01:10:40 pm »

Also check out tugforum.com  plenty of mayhemmers also use this tug site.

murphy1570

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 10:39:34 pm »

Hello again folks,
Thanks for your very quick helpful replies to my questions, sorry Tom about my mistake re the link to your friends excellent build/tutorial,
it will be a great help  to me. Also andyram I will definitely have a look at tugform site.
 All the best for now,
John.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.