Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Youtube, None videos!?  (Read 4121 times)

tizdaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boom!
Youtube, None videos!?
« on: November 22, 2016, 09:57:28 am »

Is it just me.. When im looking for videos on youtube, then i click on one only to realise its just a bunch of photos with some cheesy music really badly put together, they are nothing more than usless slideshows wasting my bandwith! Youtube should remove all content that are not video imo!
My large-scale TID Build Website: http://www.tizdaz.co.uk/forum

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/RCTidTug/

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Youtube, NONE videos!?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 10:29:27 am »

Probably uploaded by a BT customer as the only option. %)
I think a lot of them are also old, and pre-date the descent bandwidths needed to upload vids.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 10:56:02 am »

What's wrong with cheesey music.
Martin uses it a lot  ;D ;D

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

mrlownotes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 12:36:16 pm »

Youtube has millions, if not billions, if not quadramegazillions of videos uploaded for our delight.
All available free of charge.
There's bound to be a few lemons in that lot.
Cheesy music is a matter of opinion, but I do agree that some backing tracks are appalling and annoying.
My volume control is right next to my mouse.

My main gripe is where background music is included with someone talking. A common issue with TV presentations now. Often the accompanying music level is too high and inappropriate for the scene being narrated.
Bintur Ellenbach

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 02:30:18 pm »

What bugs me are the instructional videos with no voiceover, just the odd onscreen word prompts which are totally useless.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 03:23:11 pm »

That's why people still buy magazines, the articles are put together properly and professionally edited. A lot of You Tube videos are very amateurish because they haven't been thought properly through from the standpoint of the viewer.

Colin

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 12:18:09 pm »

Is it just me.. When im looking for videos on youtube, then i click on one only to realise its just a bunch of photos with some cheesy music really badly put together, they are nothing more than usless slideshows wasting my bandwith! Youtube should remove all content that are not video imo!
So you are rubbish ingredients the type of picture slide shows Martin puts together of the shows he goes to for other people not so fortunate to go to can view. I or is it not those you reference to.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 01:47:18 pm »

Never try posting from a mobile without ones glasses, as my post above testifies to.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 05:17:42 pm »

What's wrong with cheesey music.
Martin uses it a lot  ;D ;D

Ned

I thought I had posted a response here already?!... must have forgot to click [Post] !!

I freely admit, Youtube slideshow is the much easier option!

Presenting a whole bunch of Photos for viewing on-line, ( e.g. from a show )  can be a lot of work & 'faffing about!'
It includes, sorting, resizing, watermarking, importing to an App, finding a reliable hosting site, uploading, making public, etc.etc,

With YouTube it can all be done in less than 5 clicks!

So what do you prefer tizdaz? 
  What's the best way, for you, to see photos from a show, etc?

.... apologies for the cheesy muzak!  {-)

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 07:36:16 pm »

I like tutorials without commentry, though obviously it depends on who did it. Myford Boy* says not a word on over fifty videos on casting and model engineering subjects. Some tutorials seem to be more about how the presenter is feeling or needs to spend so long telling you stuff before even turning anything on when what he is trying to show us can be done as he does it.

With tutorial videos, less is often so much more:O)

*Myford boy is a retired man who has uploaded many very useful videos on pattern making, casting and even making your own casting sand (Less useful if you only want to do one casting in your life) then there are the projects he conducts as multi part video series. All done with a few text captions and good camera positioning. His only reference to his personal life is to show him cooking a bacon sandwich on a burner I recall!

I don't mind slideshows on Youtube as long as they are good shots and not repeated down the line because the creator forgot.
Pond weed is your enemy

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 08:19:09 pm »

I don't find anything wrong with that sort of "video", and have watched quite a few especially by one of the members on here called Mike Pendlebury about lifeboat builds.

I think that at times they can be more informative, even whilst silent, than a video.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

tizdaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boom!
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 12:10:28 am »

I don't find anything wrong with that sort of "video", and have watched quite a few especially by one of the members on here called Mike Pendlebury about lifeboat builds.

I think that at times they can be more informative, even whilst silent, than a video.

Jim.

For myself (especially with tutorial's) I prefer Video with step-by-step instructions of the work taking place, I find the best tutorial's are those with video AND some pictures (such as close ups etc) ..personal pref I guess :)

But it is annoying when the title on youtube says something like "Step by Step Video tutorial" etc, only to click on it to find poor quality images, with some cheezy background music! ..yup i know i can turn volume down but its quicker to just press back on my browser lol :D

Facebook:

tizdaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boom!
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 12:16:26 am »

Hiya Martin :)

I tried to quote your post but it keeps messing up (wont close the quote, i tried to add it myself also using [ /quote] tag but still nothing :(

Anyway..

For myself with photos ive always used my own hosting (I do website deisgn so its easy for for myself) ...but for a "newbie" to posting pics there's a few options, Postimage, Tinypic. Flickr all of which work pretty much same way as youtube, except is for images.. But in all honesty, when I have designed forums in past, if it had a media section for photos etc, then I'd set the forum up so users could either upload straight to the forum & the images were stored on the forums hosting, or if server space was an issue then I'd set it up so the user could still upload directly in there post except I coded it so the image was actually hosted by an external source but show up on the forum post (ie Tinypic) :)

Facebook:

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 12:58:46 am »

Ah, but.  %)  Consider the alternative.

I wanted a towbar on my Nissan Note. So I bought a kit online, and found an Irish bloke bolting the self-same one to his car on youtube, step-by-step, somewhere in the depths of the Emerald Isle. Saved me £££s.

The internet. It's saved me hunnuds. Bear with me here...

My tumble drier broke, and I discovered a dealer (The Element Man, great name, awesome service) selling items for such things. Fitted and working in half an hour, the day after being ordered.

Ditto the oven, a few months later.

Shortly after, my washing machine broke, and my wife pointed put that the LEDs were flashing in a particular way. "Maybe", she said, "it's trying to tell us something?"

I laughed, like you would, but we googled it. "My wax-based temperature sensor is goosed."

So I bought a new sensor, online. £12, arrived the day after, and it took two minutes to fit (a minute and a half of which was spent finding and pulling out the right screwdriver). The washing machine has since done another two years' work.

What I can't recall is how, back in the days pre-internet (the late eighties) I used to go to BBC Outside Broadcasts to work, and somehow booked accommodation and found the site without GPS and Google. It's a mystery (the kids of today would not understand...)

This internet thing isn't all bad.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2016, 01:28:43 am »

Well Andy....this may be OK for some with electro-mechanical knowledge, however some with less of this may falter %)

Many years ago.....our Simpson Minimax cloths dryer stopped rotating .......no video in those day....just an incomprehensible exploded view {-)

During the disassembly, I noted carefully where each subcomponent and bracket came from or was attached to the next sub component & all into a large plastic container

Found the offender being a broken drive belt....and a replacement was sourced for a few $......

The reassembly process was supposed to be a reverse build of the disassembly

All good, reassembled.... mounted on the wall & tested 

Then looked in the large plastic container & found a triangular gusset plate, half a dozen assorted screws & a microswitch with wires attached  <*<

Not sure where they originated from....but the dryer worked perfectly for years  & years  O0

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Kipper

• Full Mayhemer
  • Bodgitts Dry Dock Co.
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 09:39:43 pm »

Then looked in the large plastic container & found a triangular gusset plate, half a dozen assorted screws & a microswitch with wires attached  <*<

Not sure where they originated from....but the dryer worked perfectly for years  & years  O0

Derek

It's them goblins I tell ya, we got em round these parts, sometimes they steal a bolt or two, other times they chucks a few extras in, just to confuse us.  O0
Im gonna need a bigger shed.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2016, 10:02:11 pm »

I freely admit, Youtube slideshow is the much easier option!
                                                                                                                                         .... apologies for the cheesy muzak!  {-)

And the best way, Would not be the same without cheesy muzak..

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Youtube, None videos!?
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2016, 10:56:02 pm »

I hate that cheesy music, but my mouse loves it!  {-) {-)

tizdaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boom!
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2016, 11:58:39 pm »

I hate that cheesy music, but my mouse loves it!  {-) {-)

i bet this is your mouse..

:D :D

Facebook:

tizdaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boom!
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2016, 12:03:18 am »

.........Mission Accomplished!

:D

Facebook:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.