Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old model boating photos...  (Read 19431 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Old model boating photos...
« Reply #125 on: March 28, 2018, 08:06:43 PM »

Hi Vintage, those steam boats in the picture above went along at a fair old speed.  The Streamlinia crawled along on steam, nothing like the publicity shots at the time.  I think it was a minimum size for Straight Running and would have drifted off course long before completing a run.
I made my own one in 1988 and even with a home built steam plant it did not really go that well.  I went electric in the end, she got up and planed nicely.  Sold it on last year as I was not really using her.
Will you be going to the Toy Boat regatta at the North London club based at Colney Heath, between Watford and Hatfield?  There was a Streamlinia in steam there last year.
regards Roy

Vintage

• Full Mayhemer
    • Artisan Works
« Reply #126 on: March 28, 2018, 08:30:25 PM »

Hi Vintage, those steam boats in the picture above went along at a fair old speed.

Didn't they just  :-))

I have several old hydroplanes and they flew back in the day...

I acknowledge that the Streamlinia is always going to be slow but they're a beautiful boat and I've lusted after one for years.

Will you be going to the Toy Boat regatta at the North London club based at Colney Heath, between Watford and Hatfield?  There was a Streamlinia in steam there last year.
regards Roy

I am hoping to be if I can find the time to finish the boat, just lots on at the moment but fingers crossed.

Mark
Reproduction wooden stands for the full range of vintage Star Yacht models are available from Vintage Pond Yachts

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: March 28, 2018, 08:48:35 PM »

Hi Vintage, I built my Streamlinia from a copy of plans in the Hobbies annual 1937.  When you use a ruler over the plans it is so simple in design.  All in inches, don't know why we ever went metric!  I did make a change and that was the hollow in the bow section, which I thought kept the boat down in the water, my one is frames with 1/16th inch ply covering and the convex curve was much easier to deal with.  I did add in a spray rail as well.
But I do agree she looks good in or out of the water.  I also made my own Bowmans copy of Sea Jay.  That has an old B.L motor in it.
regards Roy

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: March 28, 2018, 08:53:42 PM »

This is how a steam boat should go  O0
Steamed up all the time

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #129 on: March 29, 2019, 05:48:51 AM »

Found these on Facebook...
https://www.facebook.com/HeatonModelBoats/photos/pcb.1894259760685550/1894259020685624/?type=3&theater

Heaton & District Model Power Boat Club founders, pictured in 1910

The last remaining founder members pictured in 1960 at the club's golden jubilee regatta

The launching of the "SS Emily in 1932

John Robert Humpish with his newly launched steamship, the "ASH" in 1957

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!"    -   Mayhem FaceBook Group!

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2019, 08:00:07 PM »

I have in my collection a late Jack Humpish hull with original steam plant, all the boats from era tended to have the same style hull design and were very long (the one I have is 6ft)
Its awaiting for me to restore it, but there are a couple of other projects ahead of it. I will post a couple of pics soon.
Steamed up all the time

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #131 on: April 01, 2019, 07:08:13 PM »

More from Heaton...

A very early picture of the club boats by the lake in 1911. All the early boats were steam powered and small enough to be carried on the "tram" by their owners, this being before the building of the boathouse in the 1920's.

A Northeast Coast Regatta at Paddy Freeman's lake in the 1950's. The boat sailing is from the South Shields club

Club members outside the new boathouse on the late 1920's

Regatta at Sunderland lake in the 1950's with Heaton and Sunderland club members in the water.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!"    -   Mayhem FaceBook Group!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up