Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Old model boating photos...  (Read 43531 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Old model boating photos...
« Reply #125 on: March 28, 2018, 08:06:43 pm »

Hi Vintage, those steam boats in the picture above went along at a fair old speed.  The Streamlinia crawled along on steam, nothing like the publicity shots at the time.  I think it was a minimum size for Straight Running and would have drifted off course long before completing a run.
I made my own one in 1988 and even with a home built steam plant it did not really go that well.  I went electric in the end, she got up and planed nicely.  Sold it on last year as I was not really using her.
Will you be going to the Toy Boat regatta at the North London club based at Colney Heath, between Watford and Hatfield?  There was a Streamlinia in steam there last year.
regards Roy

Vintage

• Full Mayhemer
    • Artisan Works
« Reply #126 on: March 28, 2018, 08:30:25 pm »

Hi Vintage, those steam boats in the picture above went along at a fair old speed.

Didn't they just  :-))

I have several old hydroplanes and they flew back in the day...

I acknowledge that the Streamlinia is always going to be slow but they're a beautiful boat and I've lusted after one for years.

Will you be going to the Toy Boat regatta at the North London club based at Colney Heath, between Watford and Hatfield?  There was a Streamlinia in steam there last year.
regards Roy

I am hoping to be if I can find the time to finish the boat, just lots on at the moment but fingers crossed.

Mark
Reproduction wooden stands for the full range of vintage Star Yacht models are available from Vintage Pond Yachts

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: March 28, 2018, 08:48:35 pm »

Hi Vintage, I built my Streamlinia from a copy of plans in the Hobbies annual 1937.  When you use a ruler over the plans it is so simple in design.  All in inches, don't know why we ever went metric!  I did make a change and that was the hollow in the bow section, which I thought kept the boat down in the water, my one is frames with 1/16th inch ply covering and the convex curve was much easier to deal with.  I did add in a spray rail as well.
But I do agree she looks good in or out of the water.  I also made my own Bowmans copy of Sea Jay.  That has an old B.L motor in it.
regards Roy

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: March 28, 2018, 08:53:42 pm »

This is how a steam boat should go  O0
Steamed up all the time

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #129 on: March 29, 2019, 05:48:51 am »

Found these on Facebook...
https://www.facebook.com/HeatonModelBoats/photos/pcb.1894259760685550/1894259020685624/?type=3&theater

Heaton & District Model Power Boat Club founders, pictured in 1910

The last remaining founder members pictured in 1960 at the club's golden jubilee regatta

The launching of the "SS Emily in 1932

John Robert Humpish with his newly launched steamship, the "ASH" in 1957

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2019, 08:00:07 pm »

I have in my collection a late Jack Humpish hull with original steam plant, all the boats from era tended to have the same style hull design and were very long (the one I have is 6ft)
Its awaiting for me to restore it, but there are a couple of other projects ahead of it. I will post a couple of pics soon.
Steamed up all the time

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #131 on: April 01, 2019, 07:08:13 pm »

More from Heaton...

A very early picture of the club boats by the lake in 1911. All the early boats were steam powered and small enough to be carried on the "tram" by their owners, this being before the building of the boathouse in the 1920's.

A Northeast Coast Regatta at Paddy Freeman's lake in the 1950's. The boat sailing is from the South Shields club

Club members outside the new boathouse on the late 1920's

Regatta at Sunderland lake in the 1950's with Heaton and Sunderland club members in the water.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #132 on: July 16, 2020, 09:27:27 am »

From Facebook.....   when & where?

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: July 18, 2020, 04:04:29 pm »

I really love the Sunday best suits, hats and pocket watches.  An era of elegance.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: July 18, 2020, 05:07:36 pm »

Hi i can remember gentleman like this, they would have had shirts with separate collars, perhaps you have heard of collar studs?  An attached collar does not look right on its own hence the tie. They would have just one suit and would wear the jacket with 'flannels' on Saturdays.  A few would have a 'Sports jacket'.

Often to go round to the pub in the evening the collar would be removed and they would wear a white scarf to hide the top of the shirt.  Shirts would have studs in the cuffs and when these got threadbare the cuff would be 'turned'.
Most wore hats and that was to keep warm, protection from the sun was a knotted handkerchief.

If you look at the old B & W films when someone was packing to go away it was with a very small case.
One of my jobs at my grandparents was to change the gas mantles.  These were white half globes that the gas went through and was then lit for lighting.
 Every Saturday morning would see me take the 2 volt accumulator to the cycle shop for charging.  I would collect another charged one from the common pool of accumulators.  I think it cost a shilling, possibly refecting that the cells did not last forever, but a shilling a week got you a charged battery.  The cells went into the DC mains powered radio for heating the valves.   

A lot of homes on trolleybus routes had 200 volts DC in their mains sockets, quite dangerous in its own way with just a 2 pin connection.  If you bought a radio you might also ask if it was AC/DC?  the mains that you had was then plugged into the right connection.

So if you ever wondered where the expression AC/DC came from?  Now you know.

regards
Roy

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2020, 07:24:27 pm »

I used to take our cumy  down the shop  for charging on the tram imagine  that today.We also had to have an HT battery huge 120V they were about 15 bob if I remember correctly. No electric   and gas mantles used to love how a new one flared up on first burn

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: July 19, 2020, 12:10:20 am »

Eh? what Century are you talking about Roy?..........

'my grandparents was to change the gas mantles.  These were white half globes that the gas went through'.... :o

I do remember electricity being a little unreliable [70 years ago] as it was provided by a steam engine powered generator at the local Coal Mine

To supplement reliability my Grandparents had pump up atomized kerosene gas lights with a miniature silk bag as the gas mantle...the bag was also secured with a tie of silk thread.....my Grandpa would stand on one of Nannas chairs to replace the silk bag....[much to her disgust O0 ]

If you touched the silk bag when the lights were turned off, the bag would distingerate <*<

Pretty sure they were a version of the Tilly Lamp

Derek

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilley_lamp

{PS...Pa also wore a 3 piece pinstripe suit to work every day + a shirt with bolt on collars.......collars were sold separately.....he was the Assistant Town Clerk of the Shire of Bulli during WW11....smoked Rollies & gave me my first puff of a ciggie......I idolized him :-)) }

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulli,_New_South_Wales
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: July 19, 2020, 02:05:17 am »

Well...I got that stu**ed up a little..... Nana would never forgive me  <*<

Pa was the Shire Clerk of Bulli Shire until retirement just after the cessation of WW11

He wasn't allowed to smoke at home, so he & I would walk to the big green paddock where the Coal MIne Pit Ponies rested over the weekend before going back underground early on Monday mornings.......this is where Pa would collect horse manure in his wheelbarrow with a spoked steel wheel .....& this is where I had my first puff of a ciggie...well the horse Poo was for his Rose Gardens

The Shire Council building had a huge Cedar staircase going up to Pa's Office.... I could never understand :o why a Man who had beautifully scripted hand writing page after page, had a rubber stamp......with his signature in running writing?
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: July 19, 2020, 08:41:33 am »

Hi Derek, when I joned the RAF in 1957 we were issued with shirts with detached collars and studs. 

My odd jobs with grandparents was in 1945 - 1948 or there abouts.  The gas mantles were very delicate to handle.  They had gas lighting until one of my uncles wired up for electricity.  That may have been when we were all changed over from DC to AC mains power.

I remember a train set with a transformer and to connect it we had a twin light bulb bayonet fitting (ceiling light) and the transformer plug went in alongside the 60 watt light no earth.  You have to remember the London housing stock was very old and in about 1959 our old house and a lot of those around were compulsorily purchased and demolished to make way for 'flats.

The Methodist Church just behind the houses across the road is still there but now an Arts Centre, my brother and I visited about 4 years ago and had difficulty placing our old house.  We found a bored man guarding a work place and when we got chatting his mate came out and we told them what it was like 70 years before, we chatted for a while then all shook hands and departed.
Of course Camden Town is now totally transformed with the market going into the old arches where the horses drew up their carts for unloading the railway wagons, I remember the now famous Roundhouse with locomotives in it, mainly small ones working around Primrose Hill. 
Glad to see Marina Ices is still there we had one and it was just as good as I remember!

Going back to the theme of this thread any more old boat photos coming?  I think we may have some as well.

regards
Roy

LJ Crew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #139 on: July 19, 2020, 10:01:29 am »

Gor! I've just spent an hour or so looking at this thread. Bassette Lowke Streamliner, Oh I wish I still had mine. It was given to me by a distant relation who went to Christchurch NZ to be the Cathedral organist. My Dad and I replaced the damaged propeller but unfortunately bought the wrong handed one. Such was our mechanical knowledge that Dad drilled out the propeller and put it on back-to-front! A kind neighbour re-timed the engine for us. We sailed her on Whitestone Pond Hampstead. The steam engine had a "Chicken Hopper" fuel tank and when this flooded the hull one day we simply pushed her under water to put out the fire and dried her out and carried on sailing! Sadly, I swapped her for a R/C glider. I used to sail boats on Whitestone Pond, and remember going up by bus from Golders Green (route 210?) 6 wheel, single deck class LT. Oh, and shoes and socks, and legs were always dry by the time I got home.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2020, 10:47:12 am »

I am another Whitestone pond sailor with an electric powered Wavemaster.I would carry it up from Gospel Oak station where an aunt lived.   I also sailed on the Highgate pond.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2020, 04:55:32 pm »

Hi there, I have just been speaking with Bob Kirtley from South Shields Club and he informs me the people in the Paddy Freemans lake photograph above are:
Arthur Vickers and Dennis Fannon with Gib Sutherlans’s HMS Newcastle.
Also in the picture are Jack Humpish and Andy Humpish’s dad.
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: July 19, 2020, 06:05:00 pm »

Hi LJ and Brian, not seen you for ages LJ.  I too was a Whitestone pond sailor.  I went to school near Gospel oak to William Ellis.  Left in 1954 totally a lamb to the proverbial, they did not look after you for work much in those days.

LJ the name is Streamlinia you may have seen my copy when visiting NLSME a while back.  It has now changed hands.  But a friend is about to make another with steam power which may just perform as per the original advertising blurb!

I only correct the name as there is a 24 inch I think version called Streamliner, it was in MB mag a couple of years ago.
regards
Roy

LJ Crew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #143 on: July 19, 2020, 08:28:17 pm »

Thanks for the correction Roy. Yes I seem to remember the MB Streamliner. My Streamlinia had a B-L boiler with a safety valve and pressure gauge both poking through the cabin roof, glass side windows and a "chicken feed" meths burner fed from a square tank. Single cylinder 4 post single cylinder engine. The hull was carved from a single lump of softwood. Heavy and not very fast!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #144 on: October 22, 2021, 05:16:48 am »

From Facebook ....

Treasures in the mud : "Small Boats Were Lying For Forty Years In The Basin Of Kensington Gardens In London Were Found During Cleanup January 15, 1970." (internet photo)
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=3042358932668396&set=gm.3000965000158591

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: October 22, 2021, 08:45:06 am »

I don't see the hydroplane I lost on its first run.   Powered by an E.D. Bee  >:-o

RST

« Reply #146 on: October 22, 2021, 08:04:57 pm »

Is that a shell welder(? Or something similar), 2x RAF firefloats and an ST tug or a "Garnock" in there?  Just as well there wasn't eBay back then, they'd be sold uncleaned to add value as "rare, untouched -needs a little TLC". LoL

It's a shame so many folk lost their treasures.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: October 22, 2021, 10:00:35 pm »

Looks like it was taken in one of the bomb craters. There were rumoured to be 4 of them.   %%

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #148 on: October 23, 2021, 05:30:18 am »

url=https://www.modelboatmayhemimages.co.uk/image/ft17n][/url]

Dated 1879: Engraving from the London Illustrated News,
"A group of people, adults and children, passing the time by the Serpentine, Hyde Park, Central London, on an autumn afternoon."

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2021, 11:22:04 am »

Adding photos failed.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.