Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from a new member  (Read 2890 times)

skierdive

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Hello from a new member
« on: November 22, 2016, 09:00:48 pm »

Hello everyone,
I thought i should introduce myself.
I am new to model boat building. So new in fact that i am yet to build any models at all.

I have, in the past built plastic kits by Airfix and Revel as a boy. These were mainly planes which when completed were suspended from my bedroom ceiling. Two boats that i remember building were the "Golden Hind" and the "Great Western".

I am glad to say that i grew up in a time when we could play outdoors until it got dark, roaming the local fields and woods, climbing trees, building dens and making our own bows and arrows and go karts.i think the HSE would have a field day with the things we got up to.
Most of our summer holidays were spent in Llandudno where i sometimes sailed a Gold Star type yacht on the pool on the front or flying a box kite on the Orme. These were the days when you were either watching Blue Peter or Magpie.

I have throughout my life been cursed with an insatiable interest and curiosity in everything, whether it is sport, wildlife, cars and  boats, science or books, you name it. I watched the moon landings on TV as a kid and retained that facination into adulthood and was lucky enough to see a Space Shuttle take off in Florida.
I was inspired by Jacques Cousteau's programs and when I got a bit older i was a Scuba Diver for twenty years, i have also been a skier for twenty years (hence my username).

But why have i decided to have a go at building a model boat?
To cut a very long story short,a few years ago i had to leave my job and stop working altogether due to stress. For over twelve months i became a different person, i lost interest in everything, i didn't even leave the house and spoke in a whisper as anxiety stopped me from breathing properly.
But slowly and surely i started to feel better and occasionaly i would go for a walk around my local boating lake. The club that is based there is Bournville Model Boat Club, of which i have no affiliation to at all. But, i do have very fond memories of when my Dad would take me to see the boats in his Morris Minor. This would be in the 1960's and, i think the boats would of had "vane" steering but i'm not sure of that or the terminology.
I found that re living these memories and watching the yacht races helped me to relax enormously and i spent many a pleasant Sunday morning there. I also visited their open days, illuminated regattas and Submarine Days, which i found facinating. Suffice to say, i started to get interested in things again, especially model boats. I did think about getting a yacht for a time but the expense and lack of room at home ruled that out. Then i hit on the idea of building a "motor boat" as this would take some deciding as to what sort and how i was to build it. So, a project was born and i was hooked.
I would just like to thank Bournville Model Boat Club for aiding my recovery although, they knew nothing about it of course Ha ha.
Well, i think I've waffled on long enough for now.
I have decided on a boat to build and i do intend to post a build log. Because i have a lot of questions. Haha.
Thanks very much for accepting me onto your forum,
Ian.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hello from a new member
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 09:16:36 pm »

A warm welcome Ian :-)) I know you will enjoy the camaraderie of model boat builders (and restorers like me) on this website There is no question that cannot be answered on here - well, maybe not the one you want, but it will be answered with the best advice you will get anywhere. I also built the Airfix Great Western as a small lad and looking back, it was probably the first model boat I completed. Remember - there is no such thing as a silly question. Good luck with whatever you have a go at.
Bob/Nemo.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 09:27:12 pm »

Welcome to the forum fellow Ian. This is a first rate forum with a collection of equally first rate modellers and not just of boats and ships. I am amazed continualy at the generosity and positive support of the members on here and several members have been very intensivly helped with their first builds and now have lots of fun building models and sailing them.

Yachts need not be space intensive as often they need to fit in a car and so have removable masts and even keels so yu can break your sailing ship down into a compact size but still have a graceful vessel gliding on the water. I have seen some gorgeous models built by a member here called JayDee, so do have a look at his topics and have a look in the relevant rooms as you may be inspired to try building a small yacht.

As for speedboats, there are numerous designs and styles and need not be super fast so you can learn to control them without doing a James Bond and parking it in the lakeside carpark by accident.

I look forward to seeing you model/models in the future.
Pond weed is your enemy

lakesidebob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 11:30:56 pm »

Welcome to the forum Ian,you have come to the right place for help and advice with your new build project. Do not be afraid to ask any question even if you think it may sound foolish or obvious,the members on here love to help,we all share a common passion for model boats.I too live in the West Midlands and have sailed at Bournville and we do visit from time to time,sailing yachts and power on that wonderful lake,good club too,always very friendly and ply us with coffee and cake.Good luck and all the best with your build.Lakeside Bob.

tizdaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boom!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 11:59:22 pm »

Hiya Ian & Welcome :)

I'm fairly new myself to this forum & model boats to be honest except for one i started (but did not finish!) many moons ago. I've now decided to start a large tug build (about 70" hull) :)

As others have said, you've definately come to the right forum!, the guys & gals here are very friendly & helpful and know there stuff so to speak. Although ive only been a member of this forum a short while, ive asked MANY questions, most of which some would think are simple/silly questions, but every question/query I've asked has been replied to in detail, like I say, excellent forum & its members are top notch so don't hold back if you have any questions no matter how "silly" you might think the question is!

Anyway good luck with the build fella & once again Welcome :)
My large-scale TID Build Website: http://www.tizdaz.co.uk/forum

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/RCTidTug/

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 07:34:22 am »

Welcome Ian,
I can only confirm the above sentiments.

This can be such a relaxing hobby.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

jackyoung

• Diy quadcopter drones
  • Shipmate
    • diy quadcopter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 02:04:07 am »

Hello skierdive, Nice post and Welcome here.
I like diy such as diy quadcopter fpv etc, my blog about diy quadcopter http://www.rcdronegood.com

deltaman

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 11:46:23 am »

Hello there Skierdive,

Welcome to the forum, I am new to the site also but have done a fair bit of modeling over the years, I take it your skiing was on snow, I was into water skiing for many years until an accident on a slalom course ended that.

Hope you get into a build soon and share its problems with this site.

Stan

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 08:37:32 pm »

I agree with everyone`s welcome. Have a look at the Springers as a first boat and if you ski the Cairngorms bring your boat and we can go icebreaking on Loch Morlich if the hill is closed !
..well can you land on this?

skierdive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 07:36:06 pm »

Thank you for your warm welcome to Model boat mayhem,

Nemo, I always say that there are no such things as silly questions, " If you don't know, just say that you don't know"
I am yet to meet the person who knows everything although i have worked for or with a few people who thought they did. :-)

Ballastanksian, I will have a look at the yachts for a future build, see, I'm already thinking "future builds" before I've started my first one. As for speed boats, I am more drawn to cabin cruisers or wooden launches. Although i can see the appeal of a fast electric boat, i want to start by enjoying the process of creating a wooden boat as, for me, the enjoyment will come from deciding what type, what features it will have and deciding on electrics and materials to use, then sourcing them all.

Lakesidebob, Again, i agree about "silly questions" and quite often when a question is asked, other people will then say "i'm glad you asked that", "i was wondering that myself".

Tizdaz, I've seen some wonderful examples of model tugs, maybe another one for me in the future.

Deltaman, Yes it was skiing on snow, although i have tried water skiing a couple of times. I can see how injuries occur with the speed they go at on the water. I have also been injured, during an off piste lesson when i "found" a buried tree trunk or fence post with my shoulder.

Arrow5, I have had a look at Springers, again, there are some wonderful examples out there and there is enormous scope for personalising them. Thank you for the invite, i like Scotland a lot. Although i haven't been there very often, I have dived around Oban, Tobermory and the Sound of Mull, climbed Ben Nevis and, i once spent a week walking on Skye where we had torrential rain day and night for the whole time that we were there. Ha ha.

Ian.         
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.