Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from Barcelona  (Read 1820 times)

JPM

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Hello from Barcelona
« on: November 23, 2016, 03:11:44 pm »

Hello everybody,
This is the first time I post in this site. My name is Joaquin and I am (or at least I try to be) a static plastic modeller. My interest has been 1/72 tanks and airplanes, but recently I have developed an interest in submarines. My preferred scale would be 1/72, but the available plastic kits in this scale are quite limited. The lack of room at home conspires against this scale too. Instead, I have chosen the 1/350 scale, since there are enough good kits available, from the famous Type VII C to the gigantic Typhoon Class, and they are also reasonably sized. The problem is some of my favourite submarines has not been kitted, not only in 1/350 but at any scale. For example, the X.1 cruiser submarine, the WWI British E and L-classes, the WWII T, U and V-classes… This is why I decide to scratchbuild them. There are few scratchbuildt models in the web sites I use to visit (SteelNavy, Britmodeller…). But when I was looking for information about drawings and scratchbuilt submarines, I found plenty of them in the R/C boat models web sites. Precisely, I recently found the Model Boat Mayhem web site when searching for the X.1 submarine drawings. One member of your community built and impressive model of this submarine from scratch. It was really inspiring.
I am not a R/C modeller: I have not the skills nor the room for that. But despite been a static modeller, I feel I have a lot to learn about you in the scratchbuilding area, and this is why I have join your forum.
Thank you very much for accepting me here.
Regards from Barcelona,
Joaquin

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hello from Barcelona
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 06:20:54 pm »

Welcome aboard.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 10:29:28 am »

Welcome. I live about 400 kilomtres south of you! If you ever come down this way, check out the harbour at Torrevieja. They have a submarine permanently moored there (or did ) as an exhibition, you could board her and look around. Don't ask me what it was because I have no idea, it was just a long black tube with a bit stuck on the top to me!

JPM

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 12:25:12 pm »

Thank you very much for the information! After a quick search, I have found it is a French Daphné-Class Submarine. Four of them where sold to the Spanish Navy. If I ever go to Torrevieja, I will visit it for sure. In fact, it is one of my future scratchbuilding projects, since there are not 1/350 kits for this submarine.

Regards,

Joaquin

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 08:16:11 pm »

Welcome Joaquin. The variety of submarines developed and trialled is astounding especially when you think how big some of the guns they fitted were.

Do please share some of your builds with us as you will be returning the inspiration!

We have a number of static modellers in various subjects so you will feel right at home Joaquin.
Pond weed is your enemy

JPM

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 11:56:50 am »

Thank you very much for your words,

I have not built any submarine yet, but I will share my work as soon as I start it. In fact I have not built any model for years. Work, family, lack of room at home. We are three people (wife, daughter and me) living in a 60 m2 flat, and I have not a dedicated place to make models, or even to expose them. I keep in boxes the few tanks and planes I managed to finish. Anyway, I want to restart my modelling activity, and I have choosen 1/350 submarines because I always loved them and because I feel 1/350 scale is small enough to find room to them.

Best regards,

Joaquin

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 01:54:54 pm »

Torrevieja is my local harbour, the submarine is still there and is a fascinating visit, and there is a patrol boat as well. You will be welcome to visit our club if you are down this way. We are holding a 3 week exhibition next Easter.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 04:12:04 pm »

Chas send me the info on the exhibition at easter please. Is it the Torrevieja club? I thought it had folded, I live about an hour or so inland.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.