Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gun Barrel flash and bang!  (Read 2727 times)

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
Gun Barrel flash and bang!
« on: November 05, 2016, 01:37:41 am »

Hi,
Could anyone give me any simple ideas as to how do I achieve a gun flash,and subject roar for a 15 inch scale turret please? It is for a twin turret,for the model of HMS RAMILLIES,British Battleship.Something that could be seen and heard from a distance from the poolside
All I can think of is an ultrabright red led,in the barrel,but I have no idea how to wire it up,or how to get the blast sound momentarily after the flash
Keep it very simple please,as I am no electrician!!
Thanks
Mick

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Gun Barrel flash and bang!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 05:22:00 am »

Mick......we have a very lengthy thread from 'Geoff'....about his Battleship turrets ......'Iron Duke 1914' ...............

Try this ................

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,43803.msg580984.html#msg580984

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 06:00:39 am »

Also the model tank people use the bang/flash method with no smoke. Try Googling for more info.

Colin

rsm

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 09:54:37 am »

Admiralty electronics do a "gun flash" unit (AE9186) and a "16 inch gun salvo" sound unit (AE9081) that can be used together.

http://www.model-dockyard.com/acatalog/Admiralty-Electronic-Accessories.html

Roger

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 02:07:30 pm »

I'd be very interested to see reports oh someone who has actually bought this - how loud is it really - for example can you hear it 30 feet away of is it only really a close range noise? Cheers Geoff

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 03:28:26 pm »

Hi Geoff,
I did send you a personal message on your build of the noise and flash.
A friend of mine has purchased the 16inch sound unit,and although it has not been installed,it most certainly will not be heard from 30 feet away,to distinguish actually that what it was supposed to be in my opinion.It could do with amplifying a lot more.It comes with the cardboard box baffle,which in itself does at least double the output level,but the ship would haveto be fairly close in to hear it planly methinks
Mick F.

afb

• FORGE ELECTRONICS
  • Full Mayhemer
  • more wires than wood in my boats!
    • FORGE ELECTRONICS
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 06:43:45 pm »

Another option if you have your own sound file of a 16 inch gun is to load it into the microSD card of my 16 channel sound effects unit which has a built-in 3w amplifier which can sound pretty loud if it drives a properly mounted decent size speaker (rather than the small token speaker I supply it with just to get you started - which doesn't have the bass response to do justice to a bang anyway). It has the advantage that the sound can be triggered directly from a spare channel on your receiver so a separate RC switch or servo/microswitch is not needed as with the Admiralty unit. There is also the scope to add up to 15 other suitable warship sounds.

See www.forge-electronics.co.uk/index.php/boats/16-ch-sfx

The unit has a red/green LED used to indicate joystick activity etc which could be re-tasked to give a short flash of a high brightness white LED when the bang sound plays (or shortly before for that matter). I'd be happy to do you or others a special - but firstly, rather than taking my word for it, why not appeal to any other users of this module as to their perception of its loudness being satisfactory for your 30 foot audibility requirement (temporarily using a bigger speaker if available) if their model is small and necessarily uses a miniature speaker. I know that David McNair-Taylor and Dave Reith of the Surface Warship Association are both using them.

For this special you would deal directly with me rather than ScaleWarship who sell the standard product on my behalf.
in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king

afb

• FORGE ELECTRONICS
  • Full Mayhemer
  • more wires than wood in my boats!
    • FORGE ELECTRONICS
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 06:48:07 pm »

For some strange reason the link to the unit on my website got reduced to an invisibly small font - try again - www.forge-electronics.co.uk/index.php/boats/16-ch-sfx

in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 07:25:58 am »

As Alan's stated, I've used his units on several of my warship models and they work very well. They are easy to set up , add your own files and size of the units means they don't take up much space in the hull.
Regards David
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.