Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: results of going out of range?  (Read 2250 times)

red181

• Full Mayhemer
results of going out of range?
« on: May 04, 2011, 10:09:21 pm »

Its never actually happened to me (yet!), but would 2.4 and 40meg be different, if the boat sailed out of range, would it just stop, or would control be lost? Anybody got any amusing stories of this happening to them?

I always have a fear of control being lost, for any reason, and my pride and joy becoming  uncontrollable :(( resulting in damage, and more importantly damaging another model or hurting a spectator.) Excluding basic range testing, are there any other safeguards or gadgets that can be fitted to electric power model boats to safeguard against this?

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: results of going out of range?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 10:18:22 pm »

Hello, Fit a failsafe. if you out of range the motor cuts out. Nemesis

wibplus

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 10:19:12 pm »

With regard to range issues on the 2.4gHz systems, the failsafe settings are usually set when the receiver is "binded" to the TX.
This means that, if you set the controls to neutrall (as you should do when "binding), then loss of signal will mean that the RX will assume that there is no TX present and will reset the controls to neutral.
This should set the throttle to off, the rudder to midships etc,etc.

Hope this helps.  :-)

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 10:30:00 pm »

ok, Ill come clean (very embarrassed!! :embarrassed: :embarrassed:)

Ive always had this fear of losing a precious boat, and really sail too close to myself, 2 of my boats are a bit big and fast scale, and Im not getting the full fun from them, as I always chicken out when I could be using more water!

So are there commercially available failsafes that will cut electric motors if signal is lost? (or rx/tx voltages drop) I know you can get throttle kills for ic cars, but what about electric?

andyn

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 10:34:23 pm »

triumphjon

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 11:09:07 pm »

my planet sets have fail safes built into the sets , on a recent battery failure throttle shut down but rudder has been set to full port . model will drift in circles !

Roadrunner

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 11:59:34 pm »

If your using an mtroinics esc it will have a built in fail safe so any loss of signal the esc goes to the stop position, but if your using 2.4 I should see no reason why you would ever go out of range surly you would loose sight before the range is lost.

However a fail safe is a worth while investment if you care about your models and wish to run them at great distances.

I've yet to go out of range with a boat but in the past with RC electric cars i have lost range a few times using 27mhz with quite expensive results, but never with nitro (glow) i always used a fail safe on the throttle which any issues smacked the throttle shut cutting out the engine and engaging the break at the same time.

Aeronut4

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 08:51:29 am »

The vast majority of 2.4g sets do have failsafe built in and it's important to set this correctly by following the manufacturer's instructions. The only one I know of that sets failsafe positions when you bind is the Spektrum sets. Most others, it is a default setting which may not be what you'd set yourself. As others have said, set it to minimum throttle or 'off' position and everything else to neutral. All ESC's do have a 'failsafe' built in, so that they stop a motor on loss of signal, which is fine for 27mHz and 40mHz sets, but not for 2.4g sets, as they will still give a signal out if no transmitter signal is received.

xilsoe

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 07:53:54 pm »

And remember trying out what happens when you turn off your transmitter.
I once found I had set the failsafe position to full ahead on my Spektrum system. This had been done in order to program an ESC.

Mixerman

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 09:14:49 pm »

I don't know how mine is set. Make note to find out.   Mine was meant for a helicopter "they said".   "Range of one kilometer They" said."   "B****y hell"   If it goes that far I'll never see it anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.