Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Kirklees Hall of Fame  (Read 42425 times)

barryfoote

Re: Kirklees Hall of Fame
« Reply #100 on: October 27, 2008, 12:33:02 pm »

I fancy one of those too. It could be great fun to build and sail... :-)) :-))

TugCowboy

« Reply #101 on: October 27, 2008, 03:48:35 pm »

Phil, I could call the man himself, which I will do this evening, but he visits here regularly anyway so I'm sure he can give you all the information you need to put one of these together.
I'd also really like to hear of any information about that lovely little barge. If anyone gets hold of any :)

Alex

Philipsparker

« Reply #102 on: November 01, 2008, 10:18:18 am »

The Barge is a YSD Seaplane Wrecking Derek. Stan has sent me the plan (thanks Stan  :-))) and after a bit of digging I found this page with details:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/ysd.htm

There are some excellent photos here: http://www.navsource.org/archives/14/58idx.htm

including this one:

Next, the building....

Phil

barryfoote

« Reply #103 on: November 01, 2008, 12:46:25 pm »

Well I am getting excited now. Stan has sent me a plan for that beautiful barge.....Hope the post is quick!!!! :-)) :-))

craftysod

« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2008, 12:55:03 pm »

Make a build thread once you start Footski,keep us mere beginners,learn more
Mark

barryfoote

« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2008, 02:52:45 pm »

Make a build thread once you start Footski,keep us mere beginners,learn more
Mark
[/quotThe plan has arrived this morning. Many thanks to Stan. Now for some research before the build starts..

Barry

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2009, 11:04:37 pm »

Well back home two weeks but didn't get much chance to get any pictures.  The first weekend the pond was covered in ice so no-one got on the water apart from a hovercraft that lost it's top so the recovery provided some entertainment and last Sunday I had so much stuff to sort out I didn't get around to taking any pictures.

So apologies for the indulgence but the only ones I did take were of my Envoy Class in conjunction with my newly aquired Resolve.  I always wanted to see these two on the water together as they were around at the same time during the second world war and they are both in 1/48th scale.  One day I'm going to have a serious go at carefull weathering of them both but in the meantime I do need to paint the insides of the Resolve's funnels black!

One thing that was really impressive was that they spent all morning out on the pond together and I simply switched my Spektrum from one to the other to control them both.

Next week I'll take some pictures of the other models!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

barryfoote

« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2009, 08:19:37 am »

Bunkerbarge,

Two beautiful models there. They really look the part together on the water..

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2009, 08:27:46 am »

Thanks Footski, I'm very pleased with them both but, yet again, surprised at just how much easier it is to manoeuvre a single screw vessel in comparrison with an equivilent sized twin screw, independently controlled model.

I'm looking forward to getting a bit of detail and weathering on them both.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

barryfoote

« Reply #109 on: February 17, 2009, 09:42:06 am »

Moving a twin screw around with one of ACtion's P94 is very easy. I was amazed just how much more manouverable the twin screw is compared to my single..

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2009, 12:19:53 am »

Well last Sunday finally gave us a much better spot of weather and for the first time in a few weeks we had no ice on the pond.  Quite a good crowd turned 0ut and a few new models on the water so well worth taking a few shots.

First up are three shots of a new pusher tug.  This has been scratch built from plans that have been basically created as the model was progressing so to end up with such a well proportioned model which also proved to be very manoeuvrable on the water is quite an achievement.  Very typical of American inland pusher tugs and a very tidy model.

Next a couple of shots of one I haven't seen before and I didn't get a chance to speak to the owner, but it looks like a kit of a small fishing vessel.  it pottered around in a very scale like fashion and really looked the part.  Very tidy model and very nicely finished.

The next three shots are of a converted Robbe U-47.  This is now a static diving model and it dives beautifully, maintaining a perfect level trim as it slowly goes below the surface.  The paint job has now also progressed since the last time I saw it and it is looking particularly realistic with just the right amount of weathering.

The next couple are of an RAF tender that I haven't seen before although I do think it has been around for a while.  It is a very nicely put together scratch built model from plans, not an Aerokits model as I first thought, and while it is fitted with three shafts it is only using the centre one at the moment.  It certainly doesn't need the others for performance as it proved to be quite nippy anyway and planed very realistically across the pond.

Lastly two from a new member who brought along his double ended ship.  He didn't keep it out for more than a couple of minutes as it was pretty fresh and was heeling over a bit too much for comfort so  was lucky to catch it at all.  Probably a wise move.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2009, 12:31:26 am »

Also last Sunday we had Stan's Gambia Bay on the pond side, which is now getting very close to completion.  Just a few more detailed bits to add and then some careful weathering and that is about it.

We were blessed with a decent spot of sunshine amongst the clouds and wind so I was lucky to be able to get some decent pictures of it looking it's best.  The detail on this model is stunning and it is one of those things that you can simply enjoy looking at for a very long time.  All credit to Stan for putting this together and creating a model of a standard that most of us can only aspire to.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2009, 09:07:04 am »

Well yesterday proved to be a beautiful day so a good opportunity for a few snaps.  I was lucky enough to have a friend with me who happens to be a photographer so he took a few pictures while I enjoyed playing with the models.

Nothing new amongst these snaps I'm afraid, apart from the quality of the photography that is, but I though you might enjoy the pictures anyway.

barryfoote

« Reply #113 on: March 23, 2009, 12:12:01 pm »

Some beautiful models and the Photographer certainly knows his business. thanks for sharing them with us..

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: March 23, 2009, 02:37:59 pm »

I totally agree with you there Footski, great photos  :-)) My problem is when sailing my models do I give the camera to my wife and get blurry shots of my boats or as she sometimes takes photos of 'lovely looking ducks' ! Or hand her the transmitter and I photograph a wrecked model boat ??? {-) {-)

Funnily enough, I know exactly what you mean!!!!

KEMO

« Reply #115 on: March 23, 2009, 07:15:19 pm »

Hiya,
      regarding the YSD Seaplane Wrecking Derek, check out the Peter O'Toole film Murphy's War there is one in that, a really good film.

Keith.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2009, 08:43:23 am »

Well a beautiful day last Sunday so a good turn out.  Isn't that always the case when you need to be home early for guests arriving!!

Anyway first up a couple of shots of my Envoy Class again.  The sun just caught it right and I was able to get the smoke hanging over it quite realistically.  Probably my favourite model at the moment as it seems to be very reliable, easy to handle and steer and looks very realistic on the water.

Next up an Amsterdam Tug.  I did make a point of asking the owner the kit manufacturer but all I can remember is that is is made by an Italian company.  I guess I need to have note paper with me!!  Lovely model of quite an age but handles beautifully and even working water cannons with quite a range.  I think it's a male thing.

Next up setting out a course was never this easy!!  All he had to do in the past was row half a dozen strokes and drop a weighted buoy but now he even gets dragged to the right spot!!  Great fun though and surprising just how fast the tug would pull the dinghy.  Probably something to do with the fact that it is fitted with two huge industrial compressor 12 v motors!!

Then a couple of shots of our annual Endurance Race.  This consists of simply sailinga round set bouys for an hour and the model with the most circuits under it's belt wins.  Unfortunately I couldn't stay to the end, otherwise the Envoy might just have been joining in, so I don't know who won.  Any Kirklees members with a result?

Finally just to prove that we are an open and friendly club we allow anyone to take part!!  You may notice that I remain completely unable to get a shot of this man with his mouth closed.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2009, 08:52:51 pm »

I think one of the best parts of this time of year is the fact that all those winter projects start to appear at the pond as the proud owners of a newly built model gingerly unwrap it and put it on the open water for the first time. 

This model of the Moorcock first appeared at a club night a few months ago when it was no more than a hull under construction and I'm glad I saw it then because I was able to appreciate what a beautiful hull it is.  It is all scratch built with the hull being diagonally planked before being covered internally with tissue and resin.  The external surfaces have had plate and rivet detail added by using plates made from litho plate and the rivet detail added from the inside by making up a pounce wheel from a clock gear with half the teeth removed.  The internal planking and the external plate detail look superb and it really was a pleasure to see it go on the water for the first time for a bit of trimming and a maiden voyage.

Another shot worthy of inclusion was one I caught of a converted Revel Corvette.  I guess like many clubs we have quite a number of these but it is always interesting to see different interpretation of the same model.  One day we should try to get them all together and see just how many we do have.

The tug lads also now seem to be breeding barges and each week another one appears being pulled by one of the many steam tugs on hand.  It does take the model to a new level having something to pull around and this one looked really good behind the TID.  I am reliably informed that more are to follow but my suggestion of a bunkerbarge did not seem to be met with much enthusiasm!!

tugboyben

« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2009, 09:31:03 pm »

hi Richard

sorry i was daydreaming on sunday i think we need a bunkerbarge to tow i will start the build next week

kind regards jason

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2009, 12:15:37 am »

Have a look at this for a few ideas Jason:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6547.msg64542#new

I can put them plus a few more on a CD if you want them, just let me know.

tugboyben

« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2009, 08:23:27 am »

hi Richard

I would be most great full for a CD of some barges i made a plug to make fibre glass barge hulls last year so i will get it back out of the back of the shed & get to work not a bad size at 30 inch's by 8inch's

kind regards Jason

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2009, 11:08:16 pm »

Well Sunday proved to be a superb day and a good number turned up for a very pleasant mornings sailing in the sun. 

The first four pictures are of a German Schnell-boat model that I've not seen before but I was informed by the owner that it is a semi kit with a fibre glass hull and a mainly plasticard superstructure.  Looking at the figures I would guess the scale to be around 1/35th and there is an excellent level of detail in the model, especially the crew.  The model has three working props and goes pretty well across the water when opened up.

Next we had quite a collection of tugs and barges, with all tows being regularly swopped around during the morning.  The final configuration with all three barges being pushed by Maximus looked very realistic and the tow worked very smoothly with manoeuvrability surprisingly good.  Harry 'O' also made up a nice combination with the utility barge, which is equally well weathered and looks superb with the tug.

barryfoote

« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2009, 08:12:12 am »

Absolutely brilliant as usual. I do enjoy our photos... :-))

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2009, 10:42:12 am »

Thanks for the comment Footski, I do spend quite a bit of time laid on the path on a Sunday morning so it's nice to know it's appreciated!

craftysod

« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2009, 11:28:23 am »

I agree with Footski,superb boats,lots of detail and brilliant pics
Mark
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.