Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Kirklees Hall of Fame  (Read 42430 times)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Kirklees Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2007, 04:48:32 pm »

The second half of this morning offering starts with a shot of a scratch built cargo ship, the Brandon.  Very neatly built and looking exellent on the water.

We also saw this morning the first time on the water for another well built Robbe U-47.  It is fitted with an Engles 750ml dive tank and performs a static dive very well.  It is currently ballasted a bit deep, which will be modified to bring her a bit higher up when on the surface but for a single tank model the trim and performance was very impressive.  There is also a lot of detail added to the hull which makes for a much more interesting kit when out of the water.

Another sub out today was Chris's type IX.  A very well built scratch model that has been a regular at the pond for a few years now and is a very reliable performer.

The type IX was built at a scale of 1/50th so against the Slipways Envoy model at 1/48th you can get a fair idea of the size of the real vessels as the two shots show.

Finally a couple of shots into the fog, the first one of a very nice TID tug the Harry O, shown earlier in this thread and finally another of my own Slipways Envoy kit, built as the Enigma.

"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2007, 11:10:22 pm »

This mornings meeting brought a couple of new models out that I haven't seen before which is always intersting to see.

First of all a couple of my own U-Boat doing a bit of manoeuvring around one of our land marks.  It gives a bit of interest to the picture to see it with something like a rock to balance the model.

Next up two shots of a new model from the same stable that made the Harry O and just as nice a model.  This one is a coal barge and has been just as effectively weathered as Harry O and looks absolutely superb.  The coal on the deck is very effective and makes for a very realistic model.

Then a couple of shots of a new model from a new member.  The Vliestroom buoy handling vessel is fitted with two kort nozzles and performs superbly on the water.  She has also been very nicely finished and the crane is an entire model in itself.

Finally a couple of shots of an old hand, Ian's Liverpool pilot boat.  A superb scratch built model that has been around for a number of years now but still looks fantastic at sea.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2008, 09:34:29 am »

Yesterday I arrived at the pond nice and early and had the place to myself for a while so I indulged a bit and put my U-Boat and corvette out at the same time for a couple of shots.  I promise no more U-Boat pictures, you must be getting fed up of them by now.  Anyway first up is a few shots of the occassion with the two models together and a more creative shot against the sun.  They do look good together and it erseting that they are both the same scale and are both plastic converstions.  Although the U-Boat is my own creation the Corvette is an Ebay purchase and, as with so many things, one day I would like to build one myself.

Next up is a nice neat little model of a cabin cruiser that has ben down for trials a couple of times recently but has only just gained a crew.  Obviously Homer and Bart are doing a bit of bonding on the fishing trip but I'm sure it will end in tears.

Finally a very nice model of what I can only describe as a WW1 gunboat as I missed the owner before he left.  I think it is a kit but it has been very neatly put together and is all the more interesting for the two funnels in an athwartship configuration.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2008, 09:40:35 am »

I think one of the nicest models out yesterday was Ian's sailing barge.  He recond he made it about 15-20 years ago from scratch and I think it's age only goes to make it look all the more ealistic.  It now has what they would call in the antiques business an "aged patina", which is far more effective than any weathering attempts would be and the model sailed superbly most of the morning.

Finally for yesterday another of Alan's models, his tug Phoenix.  He heavily modified a Mountfleet kit to get the very neat result you can see here but, as this involved making a new superstructure, he has just about built it from scratch anyway.  Very nice little model on the water and just goes to emphasise not only what a prolific builder Aaln is but also just how adaptable he is.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2008, 12:38:33 am »

Last Sunday didn't see a great number of boats out mainly as the weather was not very impressive consequently the only brave ones out there were certainly not going to be newly finished boats!

However our Alan did bring his very nearly completed launch which merits a few shots all to itself.  It is a scratch built model and that includes the engine that Alan made himself on his Chester lathe and as you can see the whole thing is a lesson in superb woodwork.  Alan's hulls are a thing of beauty and this model is no exception.  He has also made the fittings himself and the only thing he is now waiting for is a gas control valve to be mounted in the forward wooden box.

I'm looking forward to seeing it on the water for the first time.

japottinger

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2008, 10:48:09 am »

I see "Alan's launch" and Jacobite Queen models to my model plans which were featured in MMI. Very nice too.
Was there any problem with the steam launch stability, apparently when the first model was built it was somewhat tender, and I redrew the body section with more beam and was added to a later issue of MMI.

japottinger

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2008, 10:58:20 am »

Jacobite Queen is a cruise boat on Loch Ness operating from Inverness. She was orginally a ferry on the Tyne, mostly taking workers across to Swan Hunter shipyard.
She was remodelled as seen and is very popular as I can attest.
Just noted comments re stability , (or lack of !) of Alan's launch, electric powered I note. I was mortified to find that my plans were  at fault, luckily never happened before on all the lines plans I have done previously.
It does show the problem with drawing a model plan to same proportions as a small boat, especially one so fine lined.

Glad to see Alan has overcome the deficiency and look a lovely craft.
Jim

walrus

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2008, 08:47:43 pm »

nice to hear from the man himself
If your son lives so close to our club perhaps you might pay us a visit and you can then see my MFV built to your plans.
Would like to meet you
Alan

japottinger

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2008, 10:37:40 pm »

Hopefully next time down your way
Regards, Jim

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2008, 05:25:44 pm »

Well back home and back to normal Sunday mornings again.  Unfortunately today was not the best as regards weather but nevertheless a few hardy souls braved the drizzle and got thier boats on the water.

First up are a couple of shots of a very nicely built fast gun boat.  It is one of the few that I have seen really planing well but unfortunately at the cost of endurance.  Different bartery arrangements are being tested though to try to improve the life.

Next up an almost completed TID.  Just a bit of detail and some rigging to finish a very well made example with just a touch of rust and weathering to bring it to life.

The third offerring today is a couple of shots of a very tidy example of the trawler Maggie M.  This one a more out of the yard standard and sporting a particularly neat and tidy paint job.

Finally there were a few more than normal yachts out as there was going to be a couple of yacht races but unfortunately the extreemly calm conditions made this impracticle.  It does give us a chance to see some very nice models though both scrath and kits.

catengineman

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2008, 05:44:36 pm »

Great photos there  O0

R,

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2008, 07:42:54 am »

Thanks for the feedback.

Stavros

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2008, 10:31:46 pm »

Whats the size of the TID

Stavros

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2008, 08:25:00 pm »

I believe it was made from the Lesro kit in which case it is 20" long, which seems about right.

tugboyben

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2008, 09:11:54 pm »

hi i am the owner of the tid i got the hull & plan from kingston mouldings the size is 35'' long & a beam of 10'' this is my first build

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2008, 09:40:22 pm »

hi i am the owner of the tid i got the hull & plan from kingston mouldings the size is 35'' long & a beam of 10'' this is my first build

Thanks for clearing that up!!

Stavros

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2008, 10:38:54 pm »

Tidy looking Tid I built one with the larger hull, build thread on mayhem

Stavros

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2008, 05:18:40 pm »

Missed last week due to Harrogate so a couple of weeks seems a long time since I went down to the pond.  Lovely morning though, bright and sunny but cold in the shade.

First up this week is a scratch built monitor.  I am reliably informed that the inspiration came from the recent article in Model Boats Magazine and the model was made from the photos in the magazine and a certain degree of stand off license!  It still looks a very nice model though and stand off or not it is an excellent build with nothing more to go by than a few pictures.

Next up a new launch the Lady Anne.  Once again I didn't ask any questions about the build so apologies but it caught my eye because it reminded me of the recent build thread by Bluebird.  Lovely model and pretty quick when opened up as well.

Now another tug I hadn't seen before and once again I didn't get any background.  I need to take a piece of paper with me in future!  Jan is a German Tug and incorporates all the latest in noise generating technology to keep the ducks away.  Handles very well though and the figures give it a bit of life.

Finally I got another nice shot of Ian's sailing barge the Kathleen.  The reason why I showed her again is A) The sun caught her perfectly and gave me a nice shot and B) because I am looking at making some lifeboats for my steamer and so I am currently paying particular attention to any I see.  Not only is the Kathleen a lovely boat in her own right but just look at the detail in her scratch built life boat.  The boat is about four inches long to give you an idea of how lovely a job it is.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2008, 05:44:32 pm »

Just as a little smile to everyone and to remind you of how easily things can go wrong there is a little story with the attached pictures.

I bought this Joffre off eBay a year or so ago with the intention of tidying it up a bit and using it with my Envoy as she is the same scale and roughly the same period.  Anyway the internals were a bit on the loose side and I had trouble getting it to work so it stayed on the shelf until yesterday when I thought I would give it a trial.

I fitted a new reciever, a new speed controller and a new 7.2 Tamiya pack, bought only last weekend at Harrogate.  Tried it out and it all worked fine but the motor did seem a bit firece.  Stuck it in the bath and she sat a bit low but bang on the water line so took it down to the pond this morning and tried it out.  Sure enough the motor was too much and at full throttle she dug in a bit and pushed the bow down more than I would really want, especially with the freeboard not being too great.  So a couple of things to do but she looked good and I was pleased that an internal strip out would give me a nice model. 

The last five minutes and a couple of kids turn up asking about the boats so I said I would put the tug back in and show then how it worked.  I went right across to the other side to the point where I can't see exactly what is happening and started to bring it back when I thought, "She looks a bit low!"  A couple of seconds later and she looked even lower!!!  A couple of seconds later and up went the stern and down she went!!  A hush went over the crowd as everyone looked at the little loose dingy bobbing around in the water, all that was left to show where it had been.

I was more annoyed at the loss of the new speed controller, reciever and battery pack than anything else but the loss of a boat is always dissapointing as well.  The lads all suggested I get the club boat out and go for a bit of fishing, which I really thought was a waste of time but I gave in and thought I'd have a go.  I paddled around for a half an hour or so fishing with the grappling hook and rope, amid cries and jeers from the bank as to where everyone thought it had gone down.  To my amazement I snagged it and brought it up, mostly intact, but with a couple of pieces missing and a few broken bits.  Would you believe the propeller was still turning!!

Anyway lessons to be learned:

1)  If it looks low in the water, you're probably right, remove some ballast!

2) If the motor is too powerfull, it probably is, slow it down!

3) If the deck coamings look low, they probably are, build them up!

4) If you notice all three at the same time, don't put it in the water!

At least I provided some light relief and entertainment for a half an hour or so and I am now forced to "Tidy Up" the model whether I want to or not.  I've given the electrics a wash out with distilled water and they are now drying out so I might be lucky there. 

Anyway I'm glad I got a couple of shots of her first, I at least know how to put the mast back together!!

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2008, 06:19:17 pm »

Do we now call you " Sunkerbarge " ????? ;D ;D ;D

Seriously though, Glad you got it all back , the electrics should be ok, I have had to do the same thing a few times before.

Great talk last Wednesday by the way, most interesting.

Regards Sub.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2008, 06:41:04 pm »

Bunkerbarge - I dont think you are quite ready yet to claim TugKenny's claim to fame yet.  {-)  With Kenny's we have photographs of the sinking and the retrieval  {-) {-) {-) {-) :) :) :) :) :)

I was thinking about saying...keep on trying.....but that is a bit nasty  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Stavros

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2008, 06:57:13 pm »

Join the build them and sink them club at least you were lucky to get it back,mine are in over 100ft of water and I have lost 2 in LLanberis Lake where once sunk you will  never seen them again.Everything into the airing cupboard and try again

Stavros

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2008, 07:08:43 pm »

BB,
Any idea what powers the cruiser as it ties in with another current thread.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2008, 07:42:12 pm »

Bunkerbarge - I dont think you are quite ready yet to claim TugKenny's claim to fame yet.  {-)  With Kenny's we have photographs of the sinking and the retrieval  {-) {-) {-) {-) :) :) :) :) :)

I was thinking about saying...keep on trying.....but that is a bit nasty  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

aye
john e
bluebird

There were one or two mobile phones pointed in my direction as I thrashed around in the dingy trying to snag a duck with the grappling hook, I'm sure they will come to light at some point!  I wish I had a shot of it going t down though, it did look very realistic!!

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2008, 07:45:17 pm »

Join the build them and sink them club at least you were lucky to get it back,mine are in over 100ft of water and I have lost 2 in LLanberis Lake where once sunk you will  never seen them again.Everything into the airing cupboard and try again

Stavros

I guess if anything goes down there you won't have to worry about whether it is worth getting the dingy out!  When you bear in mind the cost and manhours that go into some of our creations though it makes you stop and think. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.