Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Kirklees Hall of Fame  (Read 42462 times)

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Kirklees Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2008, 07:45:39 pm »

Quote:

There were one or two mobile phones pointed in my direction as I thrashed around

Unquote

I'm sure they were calling the Coastguard and Rescue Helicopter  ::)
Don't Assume Check

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2008, 07:46:56 pm »

BB,
Any idea what powers the cruiser as it ties in with another current thread.

Bob

Sorry Bob, I really should ask some questions when I take the pictures.  If I see it again I will ask or if anyone else here can answer please feel free to post a reply.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2008, 07:48:43 pm »

Quote:

There were one or two mobile phones pointed in my direction as I thrashed around

Unquote

I'm sure they were calling the Coastguard and Rescue Helicopter  ::)

That's what I thought, but then I couldn't understand why there was a group huddled around one phone, laughing a lot!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Stavros

« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2008, 10:44:23 pm »

Could not agree more with you Bunkerbarge one is a Robbie Paula which went down with all hands probably worth around £150 and the other was a Fire boat although only 500mm long wa scrammed full of goodies worth around £450 and as you say The time spent building them,but I am not alone as I know of at least 8 others lying in LLanberis. Lake.

Oh by the way dont all panic as the Mayhem bash at the lake is being held in the lagoons which are only waist ish deep

Stavros

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2008, 10:14:04 am »

To my amazement I snagged it and brought it up, mostly intact, but with a couple of pieces missing and a few broken bits.  Would you believe the propeller was still turning!!

Well nothing wrong with your work then Bunkerbarge!

Any other indication of what caused the call to Davy Jones’s Locker?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2008, 05:39:17 am »

I really believe as I said in the original that it was a combination of being too low in the water, going too fast, the coamings not being very high and being too far away to see what was happening.

Nothing really dramatic, just me not paying attention to all the signs that were in front of me.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2008, 08:42:39 am »

In that case I don't need a lift to work anytime soon Bunkerbarge!   ;)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

GaryM

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2008, 09:22:14 pm »

Beautiful selection of boats Bunkerbarge and the photography is fantastic, especially the Bluebird with the spray exceptional!! :)

Shame about the boat that went down.

regards
Gary :)

Langsford

« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2008, 06:10:11 pm »

Bunkerbarge, what can I say? It was me who built the Joffre and sold it to you last year!! :'( It was my first attempt at a model and I thought I had done a reasonable job but am now most embarassed. Joffre was always a bit low in the water as when I ballasted her I forgot to have the battery in. A stupid mistake, but it was my first effort. I never had a problem sailing her at New Brighton but I always kept the speed down to what I considered to be a scale speed for the model. We live and learn don't we. I have since built the Mountfleet "Bangarth" and she looks well but perhaps I should only sail her in shallow water? Pic attached. Anyway, I'm glad you managed to retrieve her and I will hang my head in shame.
The photographs you have published are superb and make me relise that I have a long way to go. Will keep trying though.
John

Langsford

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2008, 09:08:38 pm »

Acloser look at the "Bangarth"

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2008, 08:30:48 am »

John, You have no reason to hang your head, I should have been paying more attention, I have been doing this for a number of years now!!

Anyway I got her back. I now have a set of instructions from Caldercraft and am compiling an order for the bits that went astray.  I might actually use the opportunity to give her a coat of grey because she will look the part alongside the Slipways Envoy Class seeing as they are the same scale.  I think I'll take some ballast out though!!

The Bangarth is looking good though and seems to be sitting at the right level on the water!! ::)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2008, 08:37:01 am »

Unlike last week Sunday morning was a superb day and probably one of the biggest groups we have had at the pond for a long time.  All sorts of boats were out ranging from the flotilla of yachts to scale, fast electric and converted plastic.

There were not a lot of models that I had not seen before though apart from the ones I have included here.  It seems to be a bit of a “Plastic Fantastic” week but it still amazes me the work that goes into getting these little models on the water. 

First up are a couple of shots of what started out as a Revell Coaster model.  The superstructure has been extensively reworked to produce an armed trawler, complete with figures, and the overall model really does look superb.  The detail is amazing and I am reliably informed that there will be more deck clutter added soon.

Next up a nice representation of the old Revell 1/426th scale USS Arizona of Pearl Harbour fame.  This is quite an old kit but has been given a whole new perspective by converting it to RC.  As with all these models calm water is really a requirement but this one handled the conditions well and I saw the bow under the waves on a number of occasions.

Continuing the plastic theme next is a converted USS Iowa.  The owner does not know the origins of the model but it is a nicely made kit with a good level of detail.  The interesting thing here is that he used all four original kit props when he converted to RC and he has four servo motors powering the model.  It handles surprisingly well with original props and rudders.

The last model is a very nicely built Corvette.  I couldn’t find the owner at the time but it looks like it could be the Deans Marine 1/96th scale kit.  I base this merely on the fact that it is smaller than the Revell 1/72nd offering so I could be wrong here!!

Finally a shot of the Arizona and the Iowa together.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2008, 08:54:49 am »

Just a little extra post with a few shots that I think are of particular interest.  Weathering and added detail and clutter is not to everyones taste but if you are going to do it you have to make sure that you do it well.  I think a lot of people are actually put off by seeing models that have been overdone and suffer as a consequence so to redress the balance a bit here are a few shots of a couple of models that have been completed perfectly.

Weathering to me is not about making the model dirty, it is about making the model into a realistic representation in so far as it is a used item and therfore displays all the results of this use.  With working craft this can manifest itself in such ways as dirt and rust but more likely and less obviously in the way things are simply worn with use.

The first model is an America Second World War landing craft.  I cannot tell you a great deal about it but I think it is scratch built and I will be happy to let Stan add a note about the models construction.  My fascination is in the detail and the weathering, which I could enjoy looking at for a very long time.  This is where the serious hours can go when you think you have actually finished the model.

The second model is also Stans and is his American crabber.  Once again very sympathetic use of weathering techniques and an understanding of how a working boat operated has produced a level of detail that you can simply enjoy studying. 

Don't be put off by the over weathered models you may have come across.  Have a go one day, the results are very satisfying.

Robert Davies

« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2008, 12:42:27 pm »

Hi BB!

That crabber is fabulous! The DUKW(?) doesn't quite 'grab' me in the same way - excellent though it also is...

With the coaster, Arizona and Iowa, you just had to didn't you? You knew I was going through a 'plastic magic' phase, and still you posted them!

Iowa looks a bit high in the water, but nonetheless excellent job on the conversion.

Congrats to all the owners/modellers on their wonderful creations :)

Says me casting one eye over at my Musashi and Tirpitz and PBR and PT-109 and PT-596 and 1/72 Vosper still to be researched and built...

-Rob

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2008, 01:42:23 pm »

Glad you like them Rob.  I've also got an old Airfix RAF Rescue launch as well as an Airfix Vosper waiting in my retirement fund!!  One day!  I actually got them to sail with the Revel U-boat as they are all the same 1/72nd scale.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2008, 03:11:17 pm »

Bunkerbarge,

Is there really a colour scheme that you cannot use on a Corvette, I have seen dozens
of them and all I have seen have been different.............

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2008, 08:02:37 am »

Roy, I certainly do not profess to be an expert on the subject and I am sure there are many on here better qualified than me to answer but from what I know about corvette colour schemes they are supposed to conform to standard schemes as laid down by the admiralty,  the most common being the Western Approaches Scheme.

As usual with wartime colour schemes there was almost certainly a degree of personal interpretation and, as with armour and aircraft, a lot of this would be driven by nothing more technical than availability of paint!

However here is a brief quote from the "Anatomy of the Ship, The Flower Class Corvette Agassiz" by John McKay and John Harland:

A very comprehensive discussion of various camouflage schemes used in corvettes, and tips on painting a model, are to be found in the Lynch book listed in the sources.  Preston and Raven's Flower Class Corvettes includes colour examples of the patterns used while Hodges Royal NavyWarship Camouflage 1939-1945 explains the rational behind these schemes.

I would also suggest that you have a good look through this forum:

http://theflowerclasscorvetteforums.yuku.com/btheflowerclasscorvetteforums

where you will find a wealth of information on the subject as well as a large number of very well informed members.

I think at the end of the day a number of modellers interpret schemes in thier own way driven partly by thier own modelling skills and access to accurate information so there may be a degree of variation introduced there as well.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2008, 08:07:45 am »

Having had a quick chat with Stan I can now give a bit more information about his DUKW as shown above.

The model is scratch built from a collection of photographs without the use of plans and all aspects of the model is Stans own interpretation of the available pictures.  I think this has to be one of the most difficult ways of making a model and, as you can see from the result, the finished model is quite stunning.

His crabber is a modified American kit in 1/12th scale.  It includes all sorts of noise generating electronics and most of the detail has been obtained from such sources as Tamiya 1/12th scale racing team pit crews and dolls house accessories.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2008, 03:54:22 pm »

Well back home again and back to adding some new pictures to the Hall of Fame thread.

Firstly last weeks pictures and the first model is a very tidy trawler the Jessica Ben.

Next up a very tidy tug that I hadn't seen on the water before, the Foxy.

A bit of a tug day as the next one is the scratch built pusher which has an amazingly realistic sound system that follows the engine revs perfectly.  It turned out however to be the gearbox making the noise!  Great model though, very manoeuvrable and very nice weathering.

Next model is another nicely put together corvette conversion, this one the USS Saucy, with yet another paint scheme closely followed by a recently completed Dido class cruiser.

Then just to prove there were some very nice yachts on the water, although the wind was very poor and so they didn't enjoy the best of conditions.

Finally a shot of a couple, including a variant on the Aziz, alongside at the pond.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2008, 04:08:09 pm »

Nice models, just one question, why is PG 65 USS Saucy flying the Union Jack from her stern ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2008, 04:29:24 pm »

Now a bit more up to date and today's crop of new models seen this morning in the perfect summer conditions.

The first couple of shots are of HMS Bristol the only type 82 Destroyer in the Royal Navy beautifully put together, the radar matress alone is a work of art.

Next are two shots of a nicely finished and weathered HMCS Sackville, looking good in another Atlantic camoflage paint job.

Back to tugs and a lovely steam tug the Mary Tavy, once again a nice bit of careful weathering and some very nicely done woodwork around the accomodation.

Next boat for anyone who has seen the movie "A Perfect Storm" this is the starring boat, the Andrea Gail.  The interesting aspect of this model is that, being a line trawler, the line booms both drop to a horizontal fishing position or can be retracted into a stowed position.  Very effective and a very smooth operation.

Next model a recently finished Caldercraft "Sir Kay".  Slightly smaller at 1/48th but the same high level of detail as found in larger kits.

Finally a lot of engineering for your money is the Thunder Tiger sub.  This one was a kit version and even included an on board camera with remote monitor but the most impressive part is the quality of the engineering you get for a relatively small outlay.  All the fastenings are stainless steel and all the control rods exit through proper adjustable glands.  The static dive function is achieved by a peristaltic pump filling a cylinder making for a fully functioning and very manoeuverable sub.  

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2008, 05:29:57 pm »

Wonderful photos Bunkerbarge showing some excellent models!

Simon  :o

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2008, 06:31:41 pm »

O0 O0 O0 Thanks BB.

ronkh

« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2008, 07:39:22 pm »

Glad you carried on with this thread BB. Might not of seen these models otherwise and what a wonderful collection they are. Please keep them coming as they also give me some good ideas for any future builds. Thank you.

Ron.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2008, 10:41:12 pm »

Thanks for the encouragement gents, I will try to keep this going when I am at home and I must admit when I first visit the pond after three months away it is always surprising how many new models there are out there as well as those brought by new members.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.