Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Kirklees Hall of Fame  (Read 42466 times)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Kirklees Hall of Fame
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2008, 09:20:32 am »

Well yesterday I think the weather forecast put people off as there wasn't a lot of members down at the pond. 

What there was though was certainly interesting and the first model is a Cammett hull model of HMS Swiftsure.  Quite a size but looking superb on the water and beautifully made.

Next up is a developing model of the last incarnation of HMCS Sackville, when she was a civilian research ship.  The additional aft superstructure were apparently laboratories for use when she worked for the Canadian Department of Marine and Fisheries.  The modeller has already converted the Revell model to a Sackville as commissioned, a Sackville as she operated during the war and now a Sackville in her post war guise.

Another warship on show was HMS Beaver, made from an old Sirmar hull and fittings, aparently originally purchased in about 1987!  Another beautifully made model though and superb on the pond.

Next picture is one of my own developements, a truckable workboat.  I purchased this recently from a member here, Workboat, and have since tidied up the internals and fitted a 2.4 reciever as well as remounting the  motors so she was out for a trial yesterday.  Manoeuvrability was amazing with it's two independant shafts and six rudders, and it certainly draws a lot of comment.

Finally a couple of shots of Branaren, very nicely built and on this thread some time ago but not with the long lens.  Nice modelling and a measured weathering technique looks very effective.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2008, 10:47:00 am »

Great pictures Bb! What camera do you use?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2008, 11:26:20 am »

Martin,  I have a Canon 30D but shots like these are taken with a Canon 300mm zoom lens with image stabilisation.  A stunning lens that I could only afford with such a bad exchange rate to the dollar for being paid but brilliant for buying stuff over there!!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Workboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2008, 01:14:00 pm »

Hi bunkerbarge is there any chance of some internal shots of the tow boat now you have tidied it up thanks Dave

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2008, 05:42:08 pm »

Hi Dave, the two shots show firstly the base of the boat with a new mounting arrangement for the motors.  Unfortunately on it's first outing the hull leaked and the wooden runners that the motor holding springs were fastened to were not held with a waterproof glue and they all came adrift.  Luckily not while underway. 

I fitted two aluminium runners, made from a channel, which I encased in poured resin to ensure they remained in place and held the springs with cable ties so that I could adjust the spring tension.  The motors sit in the curved shape made by the poured resin but were protected by cling film, enabling them to be removed.

I rearranged the electrics a bit and located the reciever power pack below the shelf, fitted the switch to the shelf, fitted the two part 2.4 reciever to the shelf, removed the BEC links from the speed controllers, twisted and tidied up the main cables and used a connector block to make an easy connection to the four motor leads.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2008, 02:30:50 pm »

Well what a fantastic day at the pond we had today.  Unfortunately not a breath of wind so a bit of a waste of time taking a yacht so mine sat on the bank all morning but perfect for the scale lads.  The sun was even quite warm all morning and it was amazing to think we are half way through October.

Anyway the first model is the first time I have seen this new build which is a stunning model of the Lifeboat Alice Upjohn from I believe a Metcalf mouldings hull.  Absolutely perfect model and beautifull on the water.  The pictures don't do her justice, you need to study this one closely.

Tugs were well represented with some of my favourits having a play for most of the morning, pulling and pushing each other around and looking very good in the process.  All lovely models and I think the Harry O remains one of my favourites of all time.

We then have a couple of shots of a new model undergoing trials and that is a scratch built wooden launch.  This one is a Plank on Frame construction and is motor powered, althoug currently the motor is a bit fierce so a water skier could be pulled behind it!!  The motor is only temporary though but, as always the woodwork is beautiful in it's own right and looks superb when the sun catches it.

Next a couple of grey funnel models and I confess to not knowing a great deal about these other than they look scratch built but could be on a bought hull or they could be a scratch hull as well.  The Fawn is the same class as the Bulldog, as per many models seen around from Deans but this is a much bigger scale and has quit a bit more presence on the water.  A very neat model both inside and out.  The other one is the Ark Royal, once again I'm not sure of it's construction but it does look scratch built and again very tidy inside and outside.  Even a few nicely put together Swordfish.

Finally this model is scratch and is a model of a vessel that was until a couple of years ago moored in Whitby.  It was converted from an old trawler and has had sails fitted to be used as a tourist vessel but it's current wherabouts isn't known.  This model does the original justice though and looks beautifull under way.  As an added attraction when there is so little wind, as today, it still has the original fishing boat prop available which is why this was the only sail on the pond all morning!

Stavros

« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2008, 03:54:35 pm »

If me not mistaken you went to see Bogstandard and I would expect evreything to work on that trawler anyway simpply because his workmanship is second to none!

Stavros

craftysod

« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2008, 05:15:27 pm »

Well done BB your photograhy skills make these boats look real and admiration to the people who make these craft

mark

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2008, 05:39:52 pm »

Thanks Mark, it never fails to amaze me just what work goes into getting some of these models on the water.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2008, 03:52:30 pm »

Well unfortunately I had to remove a couple of pictures from yesterday's post so I thought I'd go through the other pictures I took yesterday and stick up a couple of alternatives.

Firstly there was a very nicely put together Joffre, which looked quite at home amongst the other steam tug examples.  It also looks a lot healthier than my own example which still needs recovering from the damage done during the sinking!!  Mine might just be reincarneted as a RN example!

Next is a beautiful model of the Pilot boat Lorraine and once again I have to confess to knowing nothing about this particular model.... yet!  It did look lovely though and a bit of a different subject for a change.

Another unusual subject was this little diesel tug the Atlantic.  Very much an American flavour about it and a very neat and tidy build.

Next everyone knows the Slipway Aziz, with this one being built as the Arif.  A very interesting collection of deck cargo made this model particularly eye catching and full of detail.

Lastly I think this is a scratch build Britannia at quite a small scale, nevertheless it did go very well and cut through the water beautifully.

So yesterday was quite a good day for new models and with perfect scale sailing weather it brought out an interesting selection.

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2008, 04:18:57 pm »

amazing pictures bunk, keep 'em coming please
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2008, 04:58:10 pm »

Excellent pictures BB.

Weeds

« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2008, 05:20:24 pm »

I'll be looking forward to more excellent pictures. I always wanted to see a pond boat like on page 1.

craftysod

« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2008, 08:53:25 pm »

Looking forward to more pics. can you take some of my missus without the weathering
wd bb
maek

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2008, 08:11:06 pm »

First up this week is a very interesting model.  A new member to the club brings his two young sons down to the pond with him and he has made two models of the same ship but then painted them differently.  Reminds me of my childhood when I always had to make sure I got the same as my brother.  Great models though, both scratch built and really heartwarming to see someone trying to get his sons into the hobby and encouraging them like this.

Next a very nice HMS Lion.  If I remember correctly it is a Fleetscale hull which makes into a very andsome model, which handles very well on the water.

Then a couple of a lovely scratch built yacht.  There was a yacht race on this week so a lot of yachts down and luckily, for about the first time this year, there was a reasonable breeze for them. 

Next model is a particularly old model by our Stan of an aircraft repair barge.  Scratch built in balsa at 1/72nd scale to a free Glynn Guest plan in about 1988 so it has stood the test of time.  Propelled by a simple 4.8 v pack and made of balsa it still looks superb and makes for a very different and interesting model.

Finally just a couple of shots of the yacht race.  I was a bit stuck really with using a long lens to get them all in nicely but it was a very dull day with very little light so not the most clear of pictures. 

Back to the normal lens again next week I think.

craftysod

« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2008, 08:35:27 pm »

Lovely to see another pic of boat (yacht) that someone has spent many hours to build and not painted over. NO OFFENSE WHATEVER to the people who build scratchbuild boats,i think you are craftsmen,but it is so lovely to see the wood and the work that has gone into the build and what you guys/girls can build.
wish i was like you
mark

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2008, 11:08:00 pm »

I completely agree Mark, there is nothing nicer than a varnished planked hull.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2008, 07:16:09 am »

Lovely models of the 2 mallards and the Canada goose too.  O0

Peter.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2008, 08:03:07 am »

Probably about the only downside of the location is the flock of ducks and geese.  I would estimate there must be somewhere in the region of 40-50 geese now and when they all come in to land together it makes for interesting navigating and we occasionally get a damaged boat.

I keep threatening to roast one as I'm sure the council haven't a clue exactly how many there are!!

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2008, 03:02:06 pm »

Sorry to tell you this BB but Canada geese just don't taste very nice. :-X :-X

Thats why you see so many about.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2008, 03:29:50 pm »

Damn. I'd better turn the oven off
Steamed up all the time

catengineman

« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2008, 04:26:48 pm »

Dog food and feather pillows  :-))

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2008, 09:50:19 pm »

A couple of interesting new models at the pond this morning.  First up for all the puffer fans is a very nice example of the Highlander kit.  Very neatly put together and sporting smoke generators and sound systems this one really looked impressive on the water and seemed to be pottering around for quite a while today.

Next one is a superb model by our very own sub expert who has not only done some very impressive kit bashing on a Robbe U-47 and a Robbe type XI but this one, HMS Vanguard was built from scratch in fibreglass from the modellers own plugs that he built from plans.  The model is in 1/96th scale, has a one off propulsor tailor made for the model and incorporates a home made scratch built dive module.  Brilliant model.

Finally another kit out of the box and a lovely example of the paddle steamer Glasgow.  Handles extreemly well on the water and looks the business with a smoke generator.  All she is missing is someone at the wheel but, as you never seem to be able to find anyone on the bridge, I guess it is pretty realistic!!

Philipsparker

« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2008, 09:27:05 am »

Next model is a particularly old model by our Stan of an aircraft repair barge.  Scratch built in balsa at 1/72nd scale to a free Glynn Guest plan in about 1988 so it has stood the test of time.  Propelled by a simple 4.8 v pack and made of balsa it still looks superb and makes for a very different and interesting model.

Does anyone know any more about this model or the prototype ? Which issue was it in ?

Saw it, showed my Dad and he fancies having a got at it - so we need more information ! I suppose we could work it out from the photo, that Airfix crane is a good guide to size, but the plan would be handy.

Thanks
Phil

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: October 27, 2008, 11:41:41 am »

Phil, I could call the man himself, which I will do this evening, but he visits here regularly anyway so I'm sure he can give you all the information you need to put one of these together.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.