Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Kirklees Hall of Fame  (Read 42268 times)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Kirklees Hall of Fame
« on: August 16, 2007, 07:41:10 am »

Posting up a few pictures recently of our Sunday morning activities at the Kirklees club made me realise just what a lot of pictures of our members boats I have collected over the years so I thought that other members here may benefit from seeing some of them.

I'm not going to flood the place with huge numbers of pictures but every now and then I'll put a few pictures up and see if they generate any interest.  Answering questions may take a while though as I will have to get back to the model owner but having said that there are a few well established members of Kirklees who post here so they can probably help.

Lets start the ball rolling first with a couple of shots of a crab fishing boat from Stan.  This boat always generates positive comments, even from my wife who can't tell a bow from a stern, and I think the attraction is in the fact that the level of detail and realism is amazing.  It also incorporates a very realistic diesel engine sound system that actually starts up when the throttle is first touched.

Next for something completely differrent is probably my favourite yacht at the club scratch built, plank on frame, by Raymond.  The hull and fittings are an absolute pleasure to look at and the boat on the water is beautifull. 
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Kirklees Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 07:57:46 am »

Next up are a few of models from our most prolific, experienced and incredibly skillful builders, Alan.

Firstly is his steam launch.  If I remember rightly it is fitted with a Cheddar Plover unit with one of thier Electronic Gas Valves and goes beautifully.  As always from Alan, scratch built, plank on frame to an amazing standard and it looks beautiful on the water as well.

Next up are two of his electric driven steam launch.  Once again scratch built from a magazine plan, which he actually suggested some modifications to as it proved unstable.

Finally a scratch built Long Tail launch.  This was to his own design and was based on his observations made during a holiday in Thailand.  This model was actually reviewed in "Marine Modelling International" magazine and demonstrates just what an active imagination can do when applied to making model boats.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 08:16:59 am »

Next in line is a very nicely built and sensibly weathered Caldercraft Brannaren.  A couple of figures bring it to life and the weathering does a very good job of making it look realistic on the water.

Next a couple of another one of Raymonds yachts. Once again scratchbuilt and handles superbly in a breeze.  He tends to use this one while his larger one is being worked on so not a bad model as a second one!

Finally a very nicely built example of the Cumbrae Clyde pilot boat.  If I remember rightly this was purchased in a poor condition and stripped and overhauled by the present owner to get it into the lovely condition it is in now.

MCAT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 08:52:50 am »

Superb keep them coming love the crab boat and coaster infact they are all fantastic .

what a great way for others to see other clubs boats which they probably would never get to see .

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 08:24:58 am »

Thanks for the support MCAT.

Let's have a lok at a couple of grey funnel's now.  Firstly some shots of my own Cossack and another members Bedouin.  Both made form the Deans kit and looking particularly good on the water together.

Next up we have a very nicely put together HMS Osprey kit from Mountfleet.  When I was choosing my own steamer a couple of years ago it ended up in a choice between the Ben Ain and this one.  The weathering has been done to a very realistic level and the model looks excellent on the water.

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 08:58:43 am »

Nice photos Bunkerbarge! Keep them coming!  O0

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 05:50:00 pm »

Thanks for the encouragement Polobeer.

Lets move on to a few sailing boats for the next ones.

First up is a scale schooner currently owner by Vic and, I believe, bought from another one of our members, Ian.  She looks absolutely beautifull with a breeze behind her but I am reliably informed that she sails like a pig, which is why Vic goes through a lot of bow sprits!!  That's his excuse anyway!

Next up is a lovely scratch build model from George.  He has a couple of boats he brings down on a Sunday and they are both more of a scale model with a cabin etc.  One actually looks more like a dinghy but they both handle superbly and are a testament to Georges building skills.

Finally one of mine, purchased from Alan of earlier posting fame.  He made two of these for himself and his wife and then decided to make two more.  I said he was a prolific builder.  Anyway I was lucky enough to be able to buy this one off him and learn the dark art of sailing.  I never realised how demanding it was until I tried this but I do enjoy it and I must admit a set of batteries lasts all morning!

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 02:47:51 am »

Great photos Bunkerbarge, and a wonderful way to allow others outside the Kirklees Club to see these lovely models. BTW, what sort of camera do you use?
Peter.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 03:25:47 am »

Some of the best pictures of models I have seen.

Peter

bigfella

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 05:50:56 am »

Hi Bunkerbarge

Really great models, Fantastic to see. Your camera work is superb. Keep them coming.

Regards David

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 09:54:52 pm »

Thanks for the kind words gents, much apprciated.

Peter up to about a year ago the camera was an Olympus E-10, which I really enjoyed for a few years.  One of it's best attributes for this sort of thing was it's ability to flip up it's screen and so allow you to put the camera right on the water level.

Since  about a year ago I treat myself to a new Canon 30D with a couple of nice lenses to boot.  I figured I might as well make the most of the dolar exchange rate at the moment so I bought it all in the states.  The camera is superb and I love it to bits.  It has the weight and style of a proffesional camera without all the bells and whistles and the very high resolution so I would say it is a high end amateur camera.  I use the big zoom sometimes though and I am surprised at what good pictures it comes out with.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 11:00:21 pm »

Moving on to a few more then, next we have a Model Slipway's Puffer kit.  It makes into a lovely model and has been put together beautifully by our Vic.  A smoke unit gives it a bit of life and the pictures would have you think it is a far bigger model than it actually is.

The next one is a very nice tug model that I'm afraid I can't tell you a great deal about apart from the fact that she is called the Cribben Head.  Very nicely made though and very eye catching on the water, it performed smoothly and to scale and looked the part.

The next one is also a tug but I'm not sure what.  I think it is a scratch build job and it is actually quite a large model and goes at quite a pace.  It doesn't actually look like a TID to me but I can't say exactly what it is.  I'm sure there will be some more knowledgeable amongst you and maybe even the owner will see it.

Finally a nicely put together Mountfleet River Queen by Harold.  This kit seems to go together very nicely and we have about three that I know of at the club. A great introduction to the hobby and Harold's is a particularly nicely assembled example.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 01:01:00 am »

More great shots Bunkerbarge, that "TID", or whatever it is, certainly has a prototypical bow wave - it really looks the part.
Peter.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 02:38:12 pm »

A few more shots for those of you who enjoy looking.

The first two are a couple of shots of ballast trials on a model by our Ian again.  I think it is a Deans kit that he bought in a sorry state and has been refurbishing it but I am not 100% sure.  It has come a long way since these pictures and now does a comendable scale 80 knots all on it's own!! 

Next are a couple of pictures taken on our open day in 2006.  The first is a HMS Resolve, which I have always fancied as it is the same scale as my Enigma and the two of them would look good together.  I particularly like the two funnels and would like to compare a WW1 tug with a WW2 on the water.  The second picture is one of the 'Sail past', an event during the open day when we invite all attending models to participate in a mass gathering on the pond.  It always looks superb but takes a bit of organising with the crystals!!

The next two are a couple of one of my own models bought from Ebay.  Apparently it started life in the 1930's where it was purchased in a bring and buy sale at a local church in Whitby.  It has spent most of it's life stuck in an attic before the previous owner decided to refurbish it and sell it on.  It still needs a few things doing to it to get it to where I want it to be and it is not the best sailing model but she does look good when the breeze gets up.

Finally for this set a couple that I snapped of a lovely launch that I saw a few months ago.  I can't tell you anything about it and I haven't seen it since but it was certainly a very nice example of this more traditional type of model.

rats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 05:16:20 pm »

Great fotos Bunkerbarge - Nice lake too !

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 03:36:06 am »

I thought I would put up the last few pictures I currently have of the models at Kirklees before i forget about them.

The first one is one of the nicest models we have in the club.  Very simple in it's idea but beautifully executed and built.  A lovely little outboard dinghy which has had it's outboard very cleverly modified to get the motor out of the water and it does look the part on the water.  I also like the fact that the model comes apart and the whole thing, including the radio, packs away into a carrying box. 

Next up the Jacobite Queen.  Sory i know very little about this one but it appearred one day and I took a couple of shots of it.  I believe it is scratch built but I couldn't say what construction method was used but it is a nice unusual subject very neatly put together.

The next model is a converted plastic kit German Torpedo Boat.  For such a small model it performs at quite a pace and seems to last for quite a while as well.

Finally a couple of the fishing boat Netta.  Once again I couldn't tell you too much and I haven't seen it since I took the pictures in March but it is a beautifully made model.  I actually took quite a few pictures of this one and a couple when edited in a photo software package can end up looking very convincing.

bigH

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2007, 05:05:45 pm »

O0  Very many thanks BB.   Thanks for the great photos that you've put up, thanks for taking the time and trouble to show us the way to see other peoples makes.   thanks for having the patience to answer all our q?   and most of all thanks for giving me the chance to see builds I have only heard of, with your permission I have copied the majority of the photos for future ref;     bigH   

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 05:49:55 pm »

Is this how you spend your leave periods? Dashing around the Dales on 2 wheels and then slowing down with model boats.
We used to reckon that "clankies" were the worlds worst for getting the jobs done that "her indoors" had made a list of!
However, the main reason for this post is to commend your local council for the immaculate appearance of the parkland around the boating lake. I wish "our lot" had the same commitment. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 11:32:37 pm »

Bryan, 'er indoors is usually with me on the back of the bike.  I can't get her up early enough to join me at the pond on a Sunday very often though!!

bigH, many thanks for your kind comments.  I very much enjoy taking pictures of the models and I hope the quality is actually improving as I learn a bit more about the camera.  I feel honoured that you would want to download them and hopefully I will be posting some more in the future.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2007, 08:18:42 am »

Wonderfull morning yesterday with superb weather to suit both the scale lads as well as the yachts.  My last visit until Mid December so a very depressing departure that even my wifes bacon and egg sandwich struggled to lift!!

First up is a shot of a converted Revel Corvette.  One of my Ebay purchases which was purely and simply to accompany my U-boat.  It looks a lot better on the water than it does close up but it really does look good with the U-boat.

Next, Ian's HMS Kent progresses and looks better every time I see it.  The detail is coming along very nicely but she really does make an imposing sight under way.

Another dinky little e-boat.  Very tidily and neatly put together and, along with the others I have seen, really shifts across the pond!

The next picture is a yacht I haven't seen before but looking very nice under sail.  I particularly like the cabin area and the scale appearance.

Raymonds red sailed yacht has under gone some significant mods and now sports larger sails and a new set of masts.  The brass work is all Raymonds scratch building and looks absolutely beautifull.  He is in the process of replacing all the other fittings with brass as well.  This yacht remains my favourite in the club and is a credit to Raymond and his considerable building skills.

Finally Mick found himself a scratchbuilt tanker recently and is in the process of fitting out the internals and getting the ballast sorted.  Very tidily put together and coming together nicely.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2007, 09:14:59 am »

I love the Kent - do you have any more detail photographs, the scale, etc?

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2007, 10:45:04 am »

At the moment no I'm afraid and I'm not going to get another chance until December.  I'll get some then though.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2007, 07:40:02 pm »

:)Hi Dreadnought  Reference the model Kent built to A scale of 1/96.  Hull from Deans Marine. Builder on  hols at the moment will try to get more info later.

Stan  :)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2007, 08:00:55 am »

Something a little bit differrent this time, a more detailed couple of pictures of one model indoors.

This is Stan's Fletcher Class Destroyer made from the original, not the new, Deans 1/96th scale kit.  Stan however has added a tremendous amount of detail to this model to get it to the standard you can see here.

A beautiful model that looks just as good on the water but to really appreciate it you should study it close up.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2007, 04:38:01 pm »

A few shots of some models on the water, some through the mist and ice and some when it got a bit brighter this morning.

First up are a couple of shots of Harolds Bluebird, finally looking the part after giving him quite a hard time.  Harold has persevered though and this morning she looked really good and took quite a bit of catching on the camera.

Next up a couple of shots of an Al Kubar 3 model, looking and performing very nicely on the water.  She wasn't out for long before required to perform a recovery.

Now for a really nice new model, Baden's latest fishing boat, the Scorpio.  Not only is it a very tidy model with a fully working set of navigation lights but it also has a superbly detailed wheelhouse that includes a working radar screen and an illuminated depth sounder screen.  A tribute the the skill and imagination of the builder.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.