Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ahoy, - coming aboard  (Read 1322 times)

Yorkshireman

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Ahoy, - coming aboard
« on: November 30, 2016, 06:00:00 pm »

It only seems polite to introduce myself a bit. 

Way back a half century and more ago I fooled around with some model boats.  Stank out the entire school block when a master foolishly allowed me to fibre glass a yacht hull wot I had made - about 5 foot long as I remember it.  I can't recall the plan names I stared with, but they were just lines. 
A model of Thermopylae  followed me around for many years, and almost reached being fully rigged, but sank on the occasion of a house move. I still have some deck fittings in a box somewhere.
Harold Underhill became my hero, and I have his masterwork in the 'reserve stock' area of our 'library' where they won't get cleared out on a Throwout Thursday day.

Fast forward to retirement, and having recently made a 1:1 scale model of a St Ayles skiff and played with it, the workshop is almost back to usable declutter, so it's time to return to something satisfying.  With no water around here I'm leaning to something plank on frame, or maybe a giant tanker from 8x4 sheets of marine ply with loads of water ballast, plus a couple of tugs.  Hmm - I'll never smuggle that past the domestic authorities though.
Or how about a model of one of our local lifeboats - but that's been done to death surely?

At the moment, I could make anything - armchair modelling is SO satisfying  its once you decide on summat that it gets harder. 

Probably a 2 masted barquentine as a plank on frame model.  I have some boxwood and holly in the workshop.  If I make some miniature pit saws I could start cutting out the timbers...

See you all in a year or two..

Richard

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: Ahoy, - coming aboard
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 06:19:36 pm »

Well I hope it isn't a year before we hear from you again!  Welcome to the Mayhem and whatever you decide to build (why not do two in parallel?? {-) ) I hope you tell us all about it (them).  Whatever you decide to build, there will probably be someone here who has done it (or something like it) so ask away for any advice.  Like you I built a full scale small boat when I retired but found I didn't have the space to do another more ambitious one so stuck to the smaller versions with no regrets.  Enjoy your modelling!

Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.