Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small Royal Navy Monitors- HMS M-33  (Read 3595 times)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Small Royal Navy Monitors- HMS M-33
« on: December 04, 2016, 05:31:27 pm »

Hi everyone

Inbetween finishing the Dreadnought- she's too big to get back to work and get through two double doors in my barrack block!- I have decided to start the Dean's Marine kit of HMS M-33 which I bought at the Mayhem weekend. She is small and compact enough to build at work without the need to ensure that the doors don't destroy any attempt at detail work- for those in the know remember my HMS Coventry!
Anyway, the kit is latest British warship released by Ron's team at Farcet Fen, and is everything we come to expect from them- laser cut plasticard for superstructure and decks, an excellent little GRP hull, resin and white metal fittings (including two excellent representations of 6 inch guns) and a vac form moulding sheet for the gun shields and ships boats.
The instructions and plans are simple to follow and as long as you follow the logical order you can't go much wrong. I thoroughly recommend getting a copy of Ian Buxton's Big Gun Monitors as a reference book to assist you with the kit's CD. In fact there are many clear and detailed photos of M-33 and sister ships which unless you've been on the real vessel in Portsmouth you can't normally see in normal pictures you find on the internet.

I know that there are several Mayhemers who have built or in the process of building one or both kits available from Dean's Marine, so feel free to add your builds and photos to this thread so we can have one big topic on this subject. :-))

Initially I marked out the excess material on the GRP hull as indicated on the hull and in the instructions. A good quality file was all required to get a flat even surface. Next I drilled the rudder post position and the prop shaft exits and widened until I got an equal and level position for the shafts, on which they were spot-glued in place until some filler was added to secure them firmly.

The laser cut decks were pushed out from their sheets and given a quick swipe with sandpaper to get a good grip for glue. The kit doesn't provide any wooden deck supports but uses laser cut beams which can be cut to length as needed. These are built in layers inside the hull and you can add as much as you want- I found that two layers were more than enough to support the deck. The 1.5mm plasticard deck was then added with all the supports in place and any gaps were filled up with glue and filler before sanding flush. Finally I added the bow breakwater also from the laser cut plasticard sheet.

The main superstructure is next inline for the build. Once again laser cut plasticard is the main material and all the doors and porthole are either marked out or ready to be pushed out. Just some quick tidying up with a sanding stick and all is ready to glue together. Don't forget to use a a square and some tape to hold it all in place whilst the glue dries. I use MEK glue which is brushed on and evaporates- quick and easy just don't forget to put the lid back on when you finish!!! I detailed with some 0.2mm and 0.3mm plastic strip to represent the overhang and deck to superstructure joint cover.  And finally for this edition, the superstructure is put on to the deck to get the full effect.

Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Small Royal Navy Monitors- HMS M-33
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 06:40:11 pm »

Nice job Nick.  I look forward to following this thread very much.  Beautifully compact.  I note your comments on large vessels, especially as I am contemplating an extremely large one.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 07:08:59 pm »

Thanks Bob
I'm hoping to get her ready for sea trials on Saturday 17th December when I'll be collecting another hull from Ron for another WW1 warship but not currently in their kit range. I have already got the nemesis of this vessel on order from another manufacturer so watch this forum for little sneak previews! %)
Nick B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 10:40:35 pm »

Ooh! Is this mystery vessel possibly a successor to Dreadnought?

Anyhow, to monitor business, I started my M15 a while back but decided (because I like to add to the collection of rods i have on my back) to build it as M19 because it has an older gun with different turret, and a different superstructure on top of the standard M15 class superstructure block.

I thought I uploaded pictures somewhere else but perhaps not on Mayhem. I will conribute when I have found the piccies Nick.

You have made good progress with yours!
Pond weed is your enemy

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 05:33:49 pm »

Nice one Nick  :-))  I will keep an eye on this, it's looking good already  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 03:02:11 pm »

Hi Chris, glad you like what you see, some more work carried out more recently- I took her to the Dean's Marine Christmas Open Weekend in a rather more completed state then you will see on this part of the build thread as I've got to catch up with the build log.
As you can see I have concentrated on the engine room skylight hatch, the resin mould is really something nice but my pictures show a different style of opening skylight so they were filed off (rather begrudgingly) and replacement items were made from 1mm plasticard and x8 brass portholes. The centre cowl vent was moved from the superstructure deck to the top of the engine room hatch.

Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 03:15:46 pm »

Right some catching up now required!!! %)

Bridge made from laser cut plasticard with brilliantly cut out windows (thank you!) and everything was welded together using MEK glue.
I have added some minor detailing from plastic strip to create the over hang on the bridge deck and I added the ladder and extra plastic card to the aft section of the conning position. Some windows were filled back up again with reference to my on board photos and Ian Buxton's book. Holes drilled out for the stanchions and everything primed then sprayed black and white. Just needs the roof adding once its glazed and a final spray of deck grey.

Nick B

Yarpie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 04:44:48 pm »

Smart work Nick.

Recessed vertical ladder too, posh innit.

If you are in need of detailed images, please PM me as I'm only 12 miles away from M 33 (HMS MINERVA).

Sandy.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 06:00:33 pm »

Hi Sandy

I must admit I'm getting better at modelling after all these years! :}
Thanks for the offer, I would be most grateful, I've got some photos when I visited her back in October and I know I missed certain parts of her in my photo tour. I'll let you know which bits I would like to see pictures of if you can.  :-))

Nick B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 06:04:25 pm »

The more I look at the Buxton book the more indivdual they all seem!
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 23 queries.