Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thames Barges  (Read 3133 times)

spreet

Thames Barges
« on: August 16, 2007, 12:57:13 pm »

Anyone out there with experience of building these? I am presently trying to complete the Billing "Will Everard", now at the stage of the rigging but am somewhat ignorant or just plain stupid, the latter I think.
Help required,PLEASE!
I want to start on a 1/24th scale and would like to find anyone who might have copies of MB from Sep-Dec'84. Have tried to get help on tyhat other site.......Well.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Thames Barges
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 01:06:30 pm »

Hi spreet

welcome to the forum. I'm not amodel barge man but these people might be of help

http://www.modelbarge.info/about_MTSBC.htm

Cheers

Doug
Don't Assume Check

spreet

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 04:53:47 pm »

Thanks Doug have already gone along this route, Istill appreciate the suggestion

Spreet

farrow

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 10:27:57 pm »

Hi the Will was rigged as a typical mule rigged barge, ie the mizzen was a standing gaff sail instead of a sprite. The vessel is still around in preservation, now owned by one of the big containership firms as a company yacht.
Two good books to use are :- 1. A Handbook of Sailing Barges by FS Cooper (an ex- sailing barge master) & John Chancellor. A good book and can be used more or less as a bible to rig a barge. ISBN 0 229 64232 2
2. The Thames Sailing Barge. HER GEAR AND RIGGING. by Dennis J. Davis. This book has some detailed photos of the rigging of some of the last in trade. Incuding a mule rig coaster the Cambria of Everads which was rigged vertualy the saMme as the WILL. ISBN 0 7153 4887 6

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 09:11:02 am »

Hi Spreet
I posted a couple of pics of my Will Everard on a theme about steering and there are a few other barge pics. Maybe you might get some help from them.
link here ;    http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2780.0

Mike

spreet

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 05:34:51 pm »

Thank u MikeK and rsasmaster, for your input,with great interest nave followed the threads to do with Thames Barges. Come the time (soon) I will be starting my new project, a lot of experience here but we started somewhere. After sometime wondering why I'm not getting the response I expected, the bell has finally rung. I did say, originally, stupid.

What I'm specifally having problems with, is having the riigging plan in line format, its' where the blocks etc., need to be and what type. The Billings plans don't offer a great deal of help.

Hope this is a little clearer for the help this fool needs

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 06:19:05 pm »

I've sent a PM to you - re rigging plan
regards

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.