Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: props  (Read 2620 times)

ttony47

• new to all of this buiding
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
props
« on: December 09, 2016, 02:23:22 pm »

RH or LH how do you determin which to use when you purchase a prop help so many questions when you start to build for the first time
a m ledster

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: props
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 02:29:43 pm »

Most people go with a RH prop for a single prop. To be different (actually I made a mistake) I bought a LH prop for my first boat. I don't think it makes any difference for a single prop. I've had no problems anyway.
Don't Assume Check

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 03:22:11 pm »

RH props tend to tighten themselves onto the shaft in normal forward mode (which is good) - LH are always trying to loosen themselves.

If you're not confident with your locktite or locking nut, you may become stranded in the middle of the lake when the prop drops off.

Most times, you are only hitting reverse to stop at the water's edge - so if it falls off then it's not too much of a problem.

That's why I always go RH for singles.

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 06:19:25 pm »

Sorry Plastic, you have it reversed.  A LH prop is self-tightening going ahead.  Imagine holding the prop just behind the end of the shaft.  Start the motor very slow ahead (it is turning CCW/LH as seen from astern) and bring prop up to the shaft.  It will screw itself up the shaft.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 06:30:21 pm »

Sorry Plastic, you have it reversed.  A LH prop is self-tightening going ahead.  Imagine holding the prop just behind the end of the shaft.  Start the motor very slow ahead (it is turning CCW/LH as seen from astern) and bring prop up to the shaft.  It will screw itself up the shaft.

Yes, you're right - I've been doing it wrong then :o(
Feel Stoopid.  %)

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 07:32:07 pm »

Which just goes to show that it doesn't really matter as long as it is done up tight enough in the first place!

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 08:03:03 pm »

that all depends on which direction your left hand or right hand prop turns, I have seen both directions called either left hand or right hand depending on where you are in the world, and whether viewed from the front or rear, etc.

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 09:16:42 pm »

That's why I specified looking at the prop from stern to bow.  I do live in The Colonies where we use that convention.   :-))

I did manage to lose a left hand prop one time.  Going in reverse the prop hit a rock and unscrewed itself, despite having a tight locknut behind it.  This was in less than a foot of water, and an hour's searching never found it.  It was a Prop Shop prop, too, so not cheap to replace.

Ttony, back to your original question:  LH or RH makes little difference going ahead, but if you are going to be reversing often, as in navigation or towing events, you want to consider "prop walk."  That's the phenomenom that makes the stern kick to one side when the motor is in reverse.  A LH prop (viewed from the stern) will tend to kick the stern to starboard, making docking on the starboard side easier.

tizdaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boom!
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 03:44:28 pm »

For metal to metal locking... Bondloc - Studlock, far better than threadlock, especially on parts where there will be vibrations (ie: props) this stuff will do the trick!
https://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-400778/bondloc-b27010.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAj7TCBRCp2Z22ue-zrj4SJACG7SBEDS85t2nSJVuUMGfWGHtS9yT5oJKxMfkKCagFf9iRahoCT5zw_wcB

My large-scale TID Build Website: http://www.tizdaz.co.uk/forum

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/RCTidTug/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.