Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Boston Typhoon  (Read 13568 times)

Trawlerman-Les

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Boston Typhoon
« on: December 09, 2016, 06:14:39 pm »

I have started my Boston Typhoon build, and have already found a few problems to overcome, ( I am a novice! ) {:-{.

I have all the deck bearers in place, plus the stern frame ( with a home made brass rudder,) the motor mount, and an uprated waterproof stern tube and shaft. I've made the bilge keels from plasticard and fitted these using tongues bonded into slots cut in the hull. So ...all going ok so far despite the hull being mis-shaped! Today I have flatted off the hull to add a coat of red oxide, so decided to fix the scupper doors to the hull. I had already cut out the marked scupper positions, five down each side on the main deck, but .....only eight doors with the kit which is correct on the parts list.

I have searched many many pictures of other peoples builds, and all seem to have done the same as I have, five scupper ports.

What happens at the fifth port at the stern? Do I leave it open or fabricate two more doors, or am I missing a simple solution?

Les

Photos from Facebook failed.  Please repost your pictures via the mayhem's system.  ken

Delboy1958

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Boston Typhoon
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 06:37:28 pm »

Hi Les
Talk to Adam at Mountfleet I am sure he will send you 2 more
he is very helpful if bits are missing.

Derek

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 06:54:28 pm »

Deep sea trawlers didn't have scupper plates/doors on the outside of the bulwarks for two reasons.

and those reasons were that 1] the crew didn't want to snag their nets when hauling or shooting on the protruding plates or hinges for fear of ripping open the nets worth thousands of pounds each, and so the bulwarks were flush,

and 2] these ships operated in such inhospitable conditions that rust soon seized up moving parts such as hinges, and had the  doors [ which weren't fitted anyway] have ever rusted shut then the possibilities of too much water on the decks along with icing up in terrible conditions would have made it easier for the trawler just to turn turtle as many did and go down with all hands.

for the safety of crew working on deck two or three bars were welded across the inside of the scupper holes horizontally across the holes to stop them slipping through, but no doors on the outside.

my suggestion would be, for authenticity, dump the 8 doors.

I have seen over the years many a deep sea trawler in Gt Yarmouth and Lowestoft, and never saw one of them with outer doors. 

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Trawlerman-Les

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 11:06:54 am »

Derek & Jim

Thanks for your rapid replies.

Although the scupper doors do look really good I bow to Jims knowledge and have removed them and cleaned off the glue. I will fit a couple of brass wires across each scupper port to represent safety bars.

I will use a couple of the redundant doors as toolbox lids later in the build, so not wasted.

As an ageing beginner, I'm sure to seek more advice as the build goes on. Thank you.

Les

captain bligh

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats oh'd av um
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 11:11:54 am »

Hi Les
Turns into a lovely model a friend has got one a beauty  :-))  I put St necten on my Santa list ha ha no harm in dreaming  {-) {-) looking forward to watching your build.
Mike
It's not a bad man who makes a mistake its a good man who can get over it.

Trawlerman-Les

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 11:24:35 am »

Mike, a St Nectan would be wonderful  :-)), but I think that transporting her around would need a van, not a car.  :((.

This is only my second boat build, my first is a "Hellen", but re-named to ( hopefully ) keep my wife onside.  %)

Les

captain bligh

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats oh'd av um
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 12:04:13 pm »

I'm lucky in that respect I've got a van  :-))  looking at your first boat Boston typhoon is going to be a beauty! I bought one the same as "Hellen" not sure who built it but plank on frame and finish is unbelievable!
Mike
It's not a bad man who makes a mistake its a good man who can get over it.

Trawlerman-Les

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 08:44:33 am »

Hi all

I thought I would add a few more pictures of the build so far.

The white metal rudder came out of the box bent. I straightened it as best I could, and epoxied a brass tube over the stock to add a bit of strength, but it still seemed too weak at the bend above the rudder blade. In an attempt to soften the glue and remove the brass tube, there was a loud 'pop' and I was showered with molten metal!  :o My wife was not impressed as we watched TV, with me picking the now hardened shards from my clothes with tweezers.  %) I was always worried that the kit rudder, although it looks great, could not be easily removed once fitted, so a new rudder was needed.

I wanted the new rudder to look like the kit version, so I used that as a template. A brass blade was shaped, then soldered and pinned/riveted into 4mm brass rod, top and bottom. The blade was then coated with JB Waterweld and filed to an aerofoil section.

Support for the new rudder was provided by a tube with two turned brass bearings, ( like a very short stern tube ), the uppermost bearing having a recess for a rubber 'O' ring. I also wanted to support the bottom end of the rudder so the cast white metal frame was modified by removing it's 'hinges', and a removable brass rudder bearing made.

Foremast has been made in a quiet moment, from brass tubes soldered together with the joints hidden by the mast hardware. I have extended the bottom end to allow fixing at the keel for strength.

Superstructure coamings have been fixed.

That's all for now.

Les

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 10:20:40 am »

Looking good Les. I think you found the weak point of using cast white metal fittings in stress positions! Sometimes as in your case, a fabricated part is not only better looking but better functionally as well.

Here's a couple of photo sites.....

The first one you will find similar to your build under sidewinders..  http://hulltrawler.net/

http://www.trawlerphotos.co.uk/gallery/

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 02:49:34 pm »

the scupper flap doors WERE fitted to trawlers , they did not snag the nets nor did they rust up and jam , can't remember a single sidewinder out of Aberdeen ( from 60ft to 140ft ) not having them fitted , up to 3 or 4 per side , if the kit has them included its because the real trawler had them
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Trawlerman-Les

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 01:23:31 pm »

https://youtu.be/1Y2Rx_4yvyc

Hello all. Well, I started this thread some time ago, with the intention of posting a build log from a beginners angle. Shortly afterwards we were all hit by the photobucket ransom and my first few pics were gone. Then in April I was diagnosed with the dreaded " big C ", so life became an endless round of hospital and doctors appointments, with little time or energy to work on the Boston. However, health has improved a lot and some progress has been made with the boat. I'm hoping for launch day in early spring.

Les

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 05:55:34 pm »

Les,

glad to hear that your health improved. Keep on hanging on in there!
And please do show us some pics of your build  :-))
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Trawlerman-Les

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 06:40:52 pm »

Thanks Tafelspitz. There is a YouTube link to the state of play so far at the top of my last post.

Les

Trawlerman-Les

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 09:21:15 pm »

Testing picture upload

http://modelboatmayhemimages.co.uk/image/BaWwl

The above code does not produce the picture live.

You need to click on the  BB code details. use copy and then pasted here/

ken

Trawlerman-Les

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 09:51:11 pm »

Thanks Ken. I have uploaded a few pictures to a Mayhem album. Where do I find the BB code?

Les

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 10:22:06 pm »

You have to click on  'Embeded codes'  and a list will appear.

The picture details you want is under BBcode. Click on this to copy, then paste this into your Blog.

Hope this helps

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Trawlerman-Les

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 10:29:36 pm »

Thanks again Ken. I've now found the code. Let's try this.

Last picture shows the hull with motor, 900T, etc, and planked deck.

This picture, the hull with paint.

Les

Trawlerman-Les

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 11:16:20 pm »

Winches etc added to the deck.

Fish pounds and hold hatches added. Pounds hide a large access hatch.

The electrics ready to be installed.

First test of the electrics working well.

Les

Trawlerman-Les

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 11:21:36 pm »

Oh 'eck! Now the picture descriptions have appeared tiny!

I've beaten them into shape.   :}
ken

Trawlerman-Les

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2018, 03:43:55 pm »

Thanks again Ken for your help, very much appreciated, but where did I go wrong?

Les

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 10:57:05 am »

If you  (or any member)  sees TINY writing when you have posted a blog then you quickly click on 'MODIFY' within 20 minutes (before  this choice is gone) and you will see the formatting instructions.

In there will be the Font size with a very low figure.

Alter this figure from (say 2) up to a larger number.  (say 16 but could vary  depending on the keyboard and computer used.)

Usually this is only once but sometimes it can happen on every line, then life becomes a bit busy!!

ps,  I have built the Boston Typhoon and loved it.  (especially the little toilet which attracted interest at shows   :} )

Trawlerman-Les

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2018, 11:18:47 am »

Thank you Ken, that sounds easy enough even for me!

I often look back at your Boston Typhoon build log if I am unsure of any detail.

Yes, the toilet is a feature which makes people laugh. I well remember the comments you got with your giant toilet rolls. I have added a lid, smaller roll, and some staining on the floor, as I suspect that aiming would be difficult in a heavy sea. 😆

Les

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2018, 11:30:58 am »

How are you feeling these days ?  We medical mysteries must stick together.   :}  Old age don't come alone !

Glad you liked my Typhoon.  It was a pleasure to build and it's still chugging around Cardiff lake in someone else's hands. Storage is my problem as I like 'big uns' as you may have noticed.

Keep them pictures coming as I'm lovin it.

Cheers

ken

Trawlerman-Les

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2018, 12:13:29 pm »

I'm feeling ok Ken. Prostate cancer had spread throughout my bones and was crushing my spinal cord. Almost lost any use  of my legs. I was walking like Billy Connelly doing his drunk impression!    :}  My legs still very weak so I have to be  careful not to drop anything on the floor, as if I get down to pick it up I can't get back up again. Finished my chemo and had my "how's it gone" CT scan last Monday. Now waiting for an appointment with my consultant for the result. Building the Boston has kept me sane.

Trawlerman-Les

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2018, 04:22:14 pm »

Today she got her bottom wet for the first time! %)  With the remaining white metal parts laid on the deck in their approximate positions she sits very nicely on her waterline.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.