Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Aero Naut Pilot Boat  (Read 24435 times)

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
Re: Aero Naut Pilot Boat
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2016, 09:46:54 pm »

So...whilst the lower hull skins are drying. I decided to have a go at the main cabin roof. NO, im not fully fixing it on yet, still have some interior to sort, but wanted to get the shape of the roof sorted, so I can then sort the mast, radar and searchlight out before the roof goes on.
Due to the angles in the roof parts, id recommend as I did, do a dry fit....then grab a file and put a suitable chamfer angle on some of the panel edges to get a better/sharper fit.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2016, 04:07:08 pm »

Having let the bows dry on the lower hull sides, now time to align the panels before doing further glueing. The method I came up with is quite simple, but ensures all is aligned. If you insert a couple of pieces of scrap plastic card from the laser cut sheets, into the two slots that are cut to accept the propeller shaft supports, you can now ease the lower hull panels in to correct alignment with ease, tape over the scrap tags and it holds them in situ. A second good reference point is the two elliptical holes pre cut for the shafts to exit the hull should now also be aligned. Being as these holes are all pre cut....better to align them now before reaching for the glue.
Pictures show both outside and inside views of these mentioned slots.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2016, 05:27:06 pm »

Looking good.
grumpy old XXX

maggie m

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2016, 09:43:15 pm »

Looking good, Hoping  SANTA brings me one.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2016, 11:45:05 pm »

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.
"Best Price" for the base kit so far goes to "Howes" currently. I only ordered mine direct as wanted to order the props & motors at same time, but unfortunately motors wont be here before the lower hull is "sort of" fitted out.
The accuracy of panel fit is good,just watch out for slight burring on part edges due to the laser "melt", but a couple of passes with a fine file and all sorted. the Uhu glue is a must, you can see it melt the join edges, so use with care, but at least you feel more confident the joins will hold. So using "stabilit express" afterwards on the hull main seams adds the "belt n braces" touch for full reassurance that no join is going to split.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2016, 06:01:43 pm »

Merry Christmas to all mayhemmers !
hope you all have a great day and that Santa brings you all those boat kits you wished for.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2016, 10:08:33 am »

Ive managed to pop in the odd few hours here and there over the last 4 days, so things progressing nicely. The stern/transom cover is on, along with what i thought was going to be a nightmare and didnt look like it was big enough....lower stern cover. Trust me, it looked undersize, but once bonded in place....hardly a gap!
BUT, glue down one side...allow to dry fully and the other side will ease down and fix in place...ok takes some strong tape to hold down, not unless you want to sit there holding it till the uhu glue sets... I have to admit, im NOT using superglue as the booklet suggests to "temporarily hold" things till the proper glue sets, as i dont like using superglue on anything that gets wet, as you cant guarantee you have covered it with the propriety glue afterwards fully.... its my own thoughts, but you may feel differently about this. what works for me, is what I show, what works best for you...works for you .
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2016, 11:48:59 am »

Time for the most boring, tedious but necessary bit.... Secondary bonding of all the hull interior plastic's. Stabilit Express is one of the products recommended by the kit manufacturer and knowing how good this resin is....I fully second that after using it on many builds and it never fails!
Just remember to ONLY mix sufficient that you can easily apply before it starts to set...Normally I get around 15 minutes before it starts to go fudgy, so beware. So as an example, the resin comes with its set of mixing bowls. I use the "3 scoop" bowl, so its 3 scoops of white powder to a top up to the brim with tube resin, mix gently at first till the powder has started to mix in, then give a good stir before applying.. careful this stuff is runny at first so dont try to pick up too much at a time.
Ok I may be preaching how to suck eggs to some watching folk, but I do appreciaate there are a few guys new to waterbourne plastic kit builds who may need a little more guidance that the instructions in either the kit or on the back of the glue pack can say.
The hull underside was finished off with a light smeaar of resin around the joint between the upper and lower hulls as stated by manufacturer, i can see why as it does fill up a blunt step between angles.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2016, 04:08:28 pm »

Now that the outer hull is, er complete [barring for drive train], I prefer to make sure all the seams are watertight now, before any further kit is installed internally, so leak remedy is easier [if needed]. So time for the test tank. get the hull floating, then a gentle press on the stern and on the bows to deepen the depth of water.....well what do you know....no leaks !
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2016, 09:07:36 pm »

Just for a giggle, placed the deck onboard, plus main cabin & part built search light housing.... Looks quite good if I say myself.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2016, 09:13:35 am »

.... Looks quite good if I say myself.

Yep!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2016, 03:52:05 pm »

Now that the hull has had time to dry, time to start on the drive train. One of the options available is for some better "quality" universal/huco joints for the prop shafts. I did opt for these and after seeing the manufacturer supplied ones, which are 2 metal couplings, loosely joing by a coil spring....I was right!
These spring couplings may be ok, IF you only "drive" them in the direction that keeps the coils compressed, but in a twin motor setup AND being as both couplings are identical [not one wound opposite], it would mean one of the coils is driven in the opposite direction to its construction, so its going to want to "UNWIND", so go slack on the coupling joints and maybe loose drive at the same time. Same goes id say if you wanted to do an emergency "full astern" to avoid a collision or worse, still......the shore bank.....drive could be easily lost...along with  your bows!

So huco's it is.....but be careful, measure a couple of times here as the propeller shafts supplied are designed lengthwise for their couplings, NOT huco's. so a bit of shortening to the joint end will be needed, otherwise the propellers could hit the rudder blades...Yikes!
yes, I found all these bits out on the "test fit", so be mindful to also test install the rudders and tubes at same time to ensure prop clearance.

The kit comes with a pair of propeller shaft supports, which fit from underneath and have a nice tag which fits in to a slot already pre made in the hull. My guts told me to test fit, mark a line on the inside and then remove, drill a hold to take a piece of brass rod to act as a lock pin, so no chance of these dropping in they ever worked loose. On saying this, with the huco joints on the shafts and with them just sitting in the hull, alignment is quite good and all the pre cut slots work out well. The instructions suggest you simply wrap an elastic band around the hull, over the prop shafts and hey presto, ready to glue in place.....BUt the pressure from the elastic band pushes the shafts towards each other....So I cut a spreader guide out of one of the spare sprue o
pieces, filed a semi circular roove in either end, the same width as where the props come out of the hull, so when tagged between the shafts at the prop ends....and with the pressure from the laccy bands, all is ready to take its first dabs of stabilit.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2016, 03:55:58 pm »

drive train pt 2. sorry didnt want to overload the system with too many images on the post.

These images show the spreader plate i created, to hold the propeller shafts in place and stops them being pulled inwards whilst the glue is bonding.
It works and saves time having to hold them in place personally. Stabilit may set fast, but it never seems to set fast enough when you are trying to hold two things together.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Stavros

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2016, 05:40:38 pm »

Please please can we have some  larger pics so we can see the detail..

..have a look at my thread on the big tid tug hosted by photobox so so easy to use and then everyone can see the detail

Dave

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2016, 08:21:51 pm »

Hi Dave,so whats the trick with photobox then. Ive opened an account online, uploaded some images, but what next? how do you transfer to this site....do you copy and paste the image you see online, or just copy and paste one of the visible links on the image page? forgive me, but im used to good old microsoft picture publisher on xp systems,  which of course, wont transpose on to newer windows.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Stavros

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2016, 09:50:50 pm »

pm sent

Dave

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2016, 11:53:02 pm »

<iframe frameborder="0" style="width:150px;" src="http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/4647723962"></iframe>

Its a link to the photobox album....ok, its a start, but still getting my head round using photobox !
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2016, 03:23:49 pm »

Please forgive me, but attempting to get some better images online. here first "test!  Ive started to add some detailling to the main cabin, so "Main fuseboard and first aid cabinet gone in, along with the first of the two supplied desks.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2016, 04:15:23 pm »

heres some earlier images of the initial keel build. hope they show a bit more details for you.

Please let me know guys if these images are reaching your screens better, apologies again about the earlier posts but been having issues with image resizing for the thread on this site.
* You will note on the lower [outer] edge of the keel frames, a "hook" formed in the plastic. this helps to lock the deck supports in place, but also when you attach the hull sides, the side pieces, drop in to these hooks and reduce the risk of the sides lifting as you bond them on to the keel frames.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2016, 04:53:45 pm »

Have loosley re assembled again for some better pictures, hope they do the build more justice. Ive applied a light smear of plasto putty over the "peg joints" after sanding the pegs down flush, get a smoother finish on the paint.
the main cabin roof section ive built up, but keeping loose, untill the interior is complete to ease access.
Oh, reason why the desk in the forward cabin sits away from the side wall....if you look in the r/h corner, see the round hole ? well one in other corner too... pre holed for cable runs for the lights and radar etc. I will run some "L" section up these corners once the cabling sorted, for the mast lights, nav lights etc.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Stavros

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2016, 09:14:12 pm »

HALWLUIA we can see the pics DONT change a flippin thing  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

Dave

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2016, 09:41:08 pm »

:-))

Many thanks for your guidance, greatly appreciated.....thing is though...unless someone says something, often as the "postee", I dont know of issues,
"Robosizer" is the name of the game, FREE to download, the site even gives you the access code to keep the program license too.

You just click on a pic to upload, robosizer takes over and automatically resizes for what you are sending too, so only takes one click to submit, takes all the aggro of even uploading to another web site tp then get links/shares.  ;)
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2016, 11:30:52 pm »

Going back a small step, being as the imaging is now as it should be.... Props ! I found that following the build instructions, left the accurate location of the shafts on their supports a little on the loose side and too easy to loose alignment, as the instructions recommend to wrap an elastic band around the complete hull and over the shafts to keep them in place....but this then pushes sideways against the shafts...pushing them off their supports.
So I cut a small piece of plastic off the remnants of the laser cut sheets, measured the distance between the prop shafts as they exit the hull, and then cut and filed a guide bar to sit in between the two shafts, where they sit over the shaft supports, thus keeping the shafts in line as the stabilit sets...well even 15 minutes holding them in place by hand can often seem a very long time....and also prone to the occaisional disaster as you dont realise you have actually moved whilst it was setting.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2016, 02:44:04 pm »

Rudders !  I thought things were going too easy for a full plastic build.  So, when I put the props in, I decided to check the rudder clearance at the same time, to make sure they didnt foul. which at the time...they didnt. Apart from..the instruction booklet said to insert the rudder tubes in and set at a height above the hull by "approx 1mm", surely not says me, but i dry fitted and then tried to rotate the rudder blade, so due to the pitch angle of the hull "V" shape, sure enough you barely got 10 degrees of turn before the rudder blade hit the hull. So I lifted the tubes and set at 5mm, this now gives a far better rudder turn and without having to file off part of the lower rudder blade to miss the hull.
Next thing to thow in a spanner was when I fitted the rudder servo and rudder support plate [item 31]. With this installed, it actually forced the rudder tubes rearward, thus meaning the rudder blades now angled forwards on the outside, hitting the props!
So. to get round this, easiest method to me was to re notch the rudder plate 31 and ease it forwards by approx 5mm. then once checked the rudder tubes were vertical again, simply added a couple of pieces of scrap cut plastic to engage in the transom notches as cut by manufacturer and fimally fully bond in the plate and rudder tubes.

PHEW !
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

glyn44

• Flying Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Pass the grog!
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2016, 02:59:43 pm »

You live and learn they say! It's true. For days I have followed this thread, and wondered why on earth you guys were going on about sizing, uploading photos, and then commenting on them. I could never see any pics at all.

But then eureka, there they all were, as if by magic. Why? Because I was logged in. I guess somewhere it tells you that, but I never came across it!

Anyway I have prepared the formers/ribs for the hull today ( I don't know the nautical name, sorry ) and I almost made a mistake before I start. At the bottom of the kit box was a sheet of foam. I was going to bin it, but wondered why it had slots cut into it. It's only the jig for building the hull. Lucky escape. Must buck up. So tomorrow out with the glue. Wish me luck.
Glyn.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.