Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Aero Naut Pilot Boat  (Read 24421 times)

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
Re: Aero Naut Pilot Boat
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2016, 04:03:47 pm »

Best of luck Glyn,

You should find that all the frames will sit in the jig and stay put. place the main keel piece in next to hold them loosley in place, then ease up one side at a time and insert the deck support pieces, remembering to "twist" them over and around the little hooks on the ends of the keel formers. dont be tempted to cut/reshape these as they act to hold the side panels of the hull in place later.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

glyn44

• Flying Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Pass the grog!
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2016, 05:02:05 pm »

Ok cheers.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2017, 03:38:04 pm »

A nice gentle start in to the New Year.
Installed the navigation light casings.
 Along with the Helmsman's Chair. Used a scale figure to get the footrest at right height. yep, helmsman will be, er "adjusted" to fit in to his role a little better, but this was straight out of the box, just needed his "leg length" as a test!
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2017, 12:14:55 pm »

Mast...The mast is built up of several layers [4] 2 inners and 2 outer covers. the inner layers have the "back piece" attached with 2 lugs to huld whilst drying. BUT this leave it difficult to trace the wiring through, so after initially trying their  method as described in the instructions, I removed the back piece completely, glued on the 4th outer side panel and it then allows the two lamp carry brackets to be attached.  the wiring can then be easily fed from the back, then it only needs a simple flat piece of plasticard bonded over the back to cover up, plus looks a lot better than having to file 4 laminate edges flat.
I also decided to file a curve front leading edge, looks much cleaner.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

glyn44

• Flying Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Pass the grog!
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2017, 12:20:12 pm »

Hey Steve,
Where did you get a sitting figure from? I can only find standing crew. Is it flexible, or did you make it yourself,
Nice finishing touch.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2017, 02:36:40 pm »

the seated figures I found on ebay, did a simple search for 1/24 scale figures, came up with these, or standing options. Just need a little touch of adjustment and slight repaint should do the trick.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

glyn44

• Flying Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Pass the grog!
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2017, 02:42:42 pm »

Ah eBay it will be then.  I tried all the model shops, just seem to have standing ones.
Thanks.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2017, 06:27:21 pm »

Got round to making up the remaining seats for the rear cabin today. point to remember here, once you add the seat posts to the underside, set them in to the locating holes in the floor and allow glue to dry, so they set at correct distances to fit the holes after you take out for painting.
did a sneak shot through a window, just to give you a peek as to how they will look from outside. pretty good and clever thought went in to the kit, as which boat kits provide interiors at this price range?
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2017, 08:38:22 pm »

And the rear seats with a bit of colour. Just need to choose a colour for the walls, plus a few "wall items".
Checking the mount for the horn, noticed the hole was a little too large, so decided to sleeve the hole with a piece of plastruct tubing, looks far better, plus will be getting a hose too later.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2017, 05:52:52 pm »

Havent forgotten about the hull.. its still being works on, the stabilit was applied on the lower seam as per instructions, then sanded, then a light layer of sanding filler to smooth out.. same goes for the join between hull plates at the bows. surprisingly enough very reworking needed here.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2017, 11:48:25 pm »

The hull is having a nice coat of primer, so  step on to something else whilst waiting for it to dry...
Radar.. The kist provides a nice scale looking radar unit, so with a bit of cutting and drilling....motorised. I decided to remote mount the motor under the forward cabin floor, as i did look to mount a micro geared one just underneath the cabin roof, but with all the high windows, was too easily seen, so opted for a thin driveshaft down to the motor instead.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2017, 05:10:49 pm »

Right, going back over to the hull again, sorry to keep swapping about, but I like to keep busy whilst waiting for other bits to dry or set. It all makes for the bigger picture as no doubts some of the viewers here do the same. The instruction book is purely a guide,,,, or something to go back to when it looks completely wrong!

the hull has had a couple of light coats of plastic primer after sanding all the plastic surfaces to ensure good adhesion. I gave it a light "wet flat" with some 800 grit in the house test tank, well get aggro of the earhole if any flatting water reaches the carpets ! [oops].
As you can see, bows look good, just a few little nibs of filler to do, then final sanding before seeing it through to top coat/s. :-))

Considering this is basically 6 flat sheets of plasticard stuck together, it dont look three bad now in primer.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2017, 11:49:25 am »

Colour scheme chosen... I decided to rev things up a bit. The original kit design looks good in Orange, don't get me wrong, but after looking around on the web, found these images as my chosen alternative....not unless anyone else has any interesting colour schemes?
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

glyn44

• Flying Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Pass the grog!
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2017, 02:26:49 pm »

No those colours look pretty good, I think. For a beginners simplicity I'm just going for all over orange. Well I am at the moment! Just looked in the bag of fittings should have been 8 screws for the hatch tabs, guess what, only 7. Scrabbled through biscuit tin of screws, found one that will do the job, but the head doesn't match. Do for now.

Motors and electronics have arrived, but still got to buy extra LED's and resistors. They can wait as I have spent my budget, and beyond, this week.

Regards, Glyn

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2017, 02:53:22 pm »

Thanks for that. trouble is, I do like the all orange look too. Its often a difficult decision what colours to use when there are so many options on a theme. Its different when doing a replica of a Fireboat or Lifeboat, as it "has" to be a certain colour scheme and thats that, But depending on location, Pilot boats seem to wear many different colour schemes.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Stavros

« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2017, 06:47:18 pm »

If i was you i would dry that primer off properly with either a hair drier or heat gun before you apply more primer as i guarantee you one thing the primer has absorbed some water as primer is porus...and it is not a good idea to rub filler or primer down with water.Wet flatting should only be used on gloss coats.

Dave

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2017, 12:41:43 am »

I have worked in the trade for many years, and flatting primer can be done wet, especially if you are aiming for a very fine finish, as the dust does not clog the paper, it gets washed away with the water. No im not saying "dunk the hull in water, but merely keep washing the paper as you work. It also makes for easier cleaning up, a quick rinse under the tap and the hull in this example is now "clean", trying to clear up dry dust off a hull and wherever it has drifted too can take ages to clean up, even using an adapted hoover, as the next possibility is when you then go to put on a further coat of spray, the blast of air has the potential to find that elusive pocket of dust you missed and subsequently drop it all over your nice wet paint.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2017, 01:44:13 am »

...... "let your finger marks in the armrests subside" ......

Goodness :P....we don't event have armrests in OZ yet ....let alone 1200 W&D.......

OK.....I have always followed the same procedure as gregk9 in using an adequate amount of water to ensure the paper did not load up when sanding undercoat or primer paints......for small sections this included a constant drip/flow from the [kitchen sink tap]  :-X

Warming & drying in the sun ensured I believe to be a total elimination of moisture prior to the next coat, be that a subsequent coat of undercoat or topcoat

Derek  %)
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

glyn44

• Flying Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Pass the grog!
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2017, 07:14:17 am »

Ah to be in Oz. They've got sun in January. I'm jealous!

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2017, 10:56:28 am »

Hi Derek,
 Thanks for your reply. To be honest, yep, another mayhemmer jealous here too. What joy to just be able to leave an item outside to dry off !

In the UK, we have very few days in sucession where this "works", plus if you push your luck too long....look out the window....its now raining ...aarrgghh !
Er, fancy a house swap for a couple of years ?
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2017, 11:39:20 am »

Mother Nature sometimes poses situations that defy logic >>:-(........

In OZ we can have ambient temperatures of 30 degrees C [in the shade], however place the object in the direct sunlight and the object will often reach temperatures of 40+ degrees C.......and the further North we go ...[up toward the land of ARrrrrty & BB], we can encounter humidity of 100%

So this can complicate the drying of undercoated surfaces that have been rubbed back with 1200 W&D + water washed ....as the perspiration from ones brow can drip onto the drying vessel  :o

Let's hope BB may read this post & comment as he manages to build & paint model vessels in a far off Northern [high humidity] land.............

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2017, 01:11:07 pm »

I started on the cabin windows Saturday, but didnt get very far...The instructions say to fit the windows before painting the cabin...leaving the protective window film ON, then remove the film after painting completed.
However when trying the very first window panel in its aperture, the windows are a very loose fit, leaving a gap on 3 sides to be honest.
Now, when I first removed the window "blanks" I did purposely leave the little "end tails" that were left after laser cutting, thinking they may assist in holding the wondows in, or maybe best left till attempting to fit the windows, then you can file to fit so to speak. Well even with these tags in place, the perspex still fell straight through.

So, my option after fitting one window is...Im going to attach the outer nickel plated surrounds first to the window frame edge, thus making sure that when I bond in the perspex from inside, the window panel will then sit flush with the frame trim, as it will be this it bonds to better than the frame itself...
My first real error in sizing fit from manufacture... BUT not on my own, as someone else who is also building this kit has come across the same problem.

Ive attached a picture, tried to angle it and get light right so you can see the air gap round the perspex.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

glyn44

• Flying Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Pass the grog!
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2017, 01:37:54 pm »

Your quite right Steve,

I too started to fit windows yesterday, I'm still doing them! For a newbie like me they are not at all easy.
The frames are a loose fit in the ABS window cutouts. The Perspex is also a loose fit in its cutout. I found that if I tried to fit/glue both parts in place simultaneously, every time I turned the unit over the check the other side one of the windows would fall out(using canopy glue, so not quick setting) Further the Perspex itself is thinner than the ABS it's fitting into. This means the weights cannot be used to hold in place whilst adhesive is drying. It's also messy, well it is when I do it!

My method now is to fit the frame, allowing to dry, then offer up the Perspex from the inside having applied canopy glue to the edges first.

On aircraft I hate hinging, on boats looks the winner is to be windows. Of course I've a lot yet to do, all unknown, I just hope there's nothing worse.
Time will tell.
Have fun, Glyn

ferny

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2017, 01:06:03 pm »

Watching this with interest as thing one of these will be my next project.

Jon

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2017, 03:11:03 pm »

Hi Jon,  Dont worry, you're not on your own, there are quite a few said same thing, thats why im detailling as much as poss, "warts n all" so hopefully you all are better informed and pre warned before you come across any slight glitch. have to say, so far, its only the window perspex being undersize thats been a negative. But after bonding on the outer nickel silver outer frames first, its only a matter of dropping the perspex in from the inside on a layer of glue n glaze, then they will sit flush with the frame and be watertight.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.