Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Aero Naut Pilot Boat  (Read 24418 times)

glyn44

• Flying Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Pass the grog!
Re: Aero Naut Pilot Boat
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2017, 03:31:48 pm »

I'll second that, definitely the best way.

minimariner

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2017, 03:47:40 pm »

Steve,
          Where did you buy your radar motor from, also the motor voltage and output RPM.

Bryan.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2017, 03:51:23 pm »

Enjoying the build and taking in all the warts :-)) .
A member brought one to the lake yesterday.
He had from eBay.
Quite impressive with two 280 motors and the
springy couplings, once we subbed a receiver
and a7.2 stick for the ailing 6v sla.
A bit of increase in power with a slightly bigger
motor set up would give it more than scale speed.
A couple of us are looking to give it a go soon.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2017, 08:35:07 pm »

the radar motor was of Ebay, even came with a remote switches circuit.
You can then run via the 5v reciever supply, or if you buy without, it will run quite merrily on either a single AA or twin AA cell arrangement, as having used them before on other builds. rotation speeds approx 40 -50 rpm, so fits in quite well scale speed wise too.

The second answer.  The instructions recommend 400 size motors, so I ordered a pair of graupner speed 400's. I am also changing the couplings for huco types, as didnt fancy the one "springy bit" thrying to unwind when driven in reverse for the twin prop setup.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2017, 08:57:56 pm »

Well, window glazing added to cabin roof windows, dont look three bad, but ive given the inside of the glazing a coat of tint paint, smoke em down a bit, so will show up better against the body colour, as most of these craft have tinted glass in them now.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

glyn44

• Flying Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Pass the grog!
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2017, 12:05:00 pm »

I contacted Dock Stavaret, a Swedish shipyard that builds pilot boats, as I was interested in finding out about the finish/colours they used inside their wheelhouse/bridge.
I got this amazing reply:

" Dear Glyn
I will do my best to answer your questions.

The interior colors are much depending on the customers selection, so it does depend a bit on which boat you are replicating. However in general we are quite often using the following painting scheme:

Roof in wheelhouse: Black non-woven fabric
Floor: Plastic mat Tarkett Granit 283 Grey
Bulkheads below windows in cox position: Wood veneer Formica K7016 Finn Beech
Bulkheads in windows level and above cox position: Black paint or leather imitation. RAL 9005
Complete instrumentation panel: Depending on customer, for German Pilots always Red RAL 3024 otherwise Black RAL 9005

Roof in Pilot area: Non woven light grey
Floor: Plastic mat Tarkett Granit 283 Grey
Bulkheads: Wood veneer Formica K7016 Finn Beech
Window frames: Black paint or leather imitation. RAL 9005

Hope that this helps!"

So now you know. And the guy wants a photo of a finished model to have on his desk!

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2017, 03:05:25 pm »

1/25th scale wood veneer...hhmm. LOl. %).
Superb research Glynn.

WELL DONE !
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2017, 03:44:18 pm »

Formica?
Is it still available in the UK?
But not at 1/25th methinks
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2017, 03:58:34 pm »

Im thinking along the lines of a tan/beige paint colour, have some Tamiya which is close to "beech".
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2017, 04:55:32 pm »

First application of hull colour now on, the sides will be different colour but wanted to check for any irregularities which "usually" only show up once the final colour goes on, so learnt to do a test coat first, let that fully dry, then inspect again. O0

yes, few bits I can see need sorting!
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2017, 09:42:28 pm »

First coats of the side panel yellow now on,  masking removed before paint dries too much. will then fine flat and fully recheck before final paint coats and laquering.
pic added to demonstrate colour layout im aiming or with this build.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2017, 12:13:01 am »

Whilst the hull paint is drying fully, time to sort the rudder system out. The kit supplies some silicone tube which is noted to be cut to 10mm [1cm], this then sits on top of the rudder pivot inside the hull, acting as a water seal I presume. BUT if you cut to this size, the rudder arm will only sit halfway on to of the shaft. So cut to 5mm, still acts as a seal but allows the rudder arm to fully seat on the pivot shaft.
I have fitted a metal geared rudder servo, not wanting to skimp on something so inaccessible once built, better to fit good now than struggle to replace later in use. The servo system was tested using a servo tester to ensure as much rudder turn angle as possible and the optimum fulcrum point on the servo arm too.  this turns out to be 2nd hole out from the centre, due to the shortness of the supplied rudder arms.
I did notice some slight movement in the rudder servo mount, so have made a support strut out of some of the scrap plastic sheet, thus linking the servo plate with the hull to reduce movement and reduce risk of fractures in the plastic later too....hopefully.

Pics taken to show rudder movement both inside and out....dropping the rudder tubes to 5mm instead of instructions 1mm has improved rudder swing angle , plenty in fact , but better to have a bit of turn in hand for emergencies !
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2017, 01:40:32 pm »

Step railings.... The kit supplies some nice nickel silver packs of railings, complete with some upright bars which need to be added.....PLUS on one of the plastic sheets.....a template to hold all the bits in place whilst you solder them together.....How goods that then? O0

Ok so some of you are going to say, whats the use of a plastic template when soldering railings together >>:-(?  BUT think about it.....It is only designed for use on this one kit....so plenty of life in it for this job...but saves hours making your own up....Thanks Aero Naut ! :-))
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

glyn44

• Flying Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Pass the grog!
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2017, 03:11:37 pm »

Nice one. Wondered what they were for Steve.

Trying to fit the lower stern shaped piece. I'm afraid to say it's not fitting to good. There's going to be gaps! I've been struggling a bit getting the Stabilit into some of the joints and crevices without making a dreadful mess. I'm about there now though. But going to have to spend time cleaning up the outer hull panels.

I know it's grindable and sandable, but worried about scoring the outer face of the plastic as I don't want score marks showing through the paint. Generally enjoying the journey, well most of it!

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2017, 03:44:30 pm »

if any of the resin glue has seeped out on to the outer surfaces. try putting 2 or 3 layer strips of masking tape alongside the bit you gonna sand off, then if you angle towards the hull sides, you will hopefully protect with the masking.

failing that... revell "plasto " filler is good, easy to apply, quick drying and easy to sand afterwards. it doesnt dry as hard as the full size car body stuff.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2017, 05:09:25 pm »

Time to finish off the prop shafts, I have used Graupner "oilers" in the past but cant seem to get my hands on supply of late, so am trying the "caldercraft" versions on this build.
So rather than having to remove rudders and drive couplings to lubricate the prop shafts on a routine basis, I try my best to fit these lubricators to the outer shaft cases when possible. Ok, for the brave, you can always do a "diy" and solder on a small brass tube that does exactly the same job, but id sooner play safe and use these.
Its as simple as choose the correct diameter choice for the shafts, clamp them round with the screws provided, then run a 2mm drill down through the centre of the oiling tube...blow out the debris before replacing the driveshaft, add either the waterresistant lubricant provided, or use oil, whichever is your preferred choice.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2017, 08:26:29 pm »

The main cabin outer window frames now all fitted, will allow to dry fully before adding the glazing.
Ive also now added a reflective strip along both sides of the cabin and added the "Pilot" letters [Nickel plated]. I was thinking of painting them, but after seeing them act as a shadow letter on the reflective, will leave alone, they stand out when they need to. :-))
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2017, 07:35:36 pm »

heres an easy version of anti slip deck I mentioned. 1/ mark the deck out where all the static objects are to stand....as always a gap between these and the anti slip.2/ make paper templates. 3/ cut out from wet & dry sandpaper.. ive used 180 grit for these..

4/ cover the underside of the sandpaper with a good waterproof glue and allo to go tacky. 5/ attach to deck and when possible, turn over and add weight to ensure all edges bond down.

next stage will be to prime all the deck, then once dry. add top colour/s.

Ive used this method a few times now, as using the "texture finish" spray cans, can be a bit tricky to get a nice even finish..
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2017, 08:59:28 pm »

Why is it...you see a colour combination in your "minds eye", but the moment you apply it....."yeuck"! >>:-(
Ive tried 4 different colour combinations to get the best suitable match on the main deck...And to be honest, Ive reverted back to what was the original colours...White [plastic] and dark grey [of the sanding sheet]. But with the main colour scheme, it really does seem to work well once it all slots together :-)).  So attached 1 pic of the new colour scheme, but more work needed on the "white", this is only a base wash.
Next toy today was the front spot lamp pod. Id built it some weeks ago, but got round to adding the led's.
This has to be one for a "Sunset Sail" Guys, dont forget still another to go up on the cabin roof yet ! see what you think...
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2017, 09:36:43 pm »

Sorry Guys, Im currently attacking some of the wiring and lighting, so its not at a stage to photograph as yet as im working out the best routes for cabling so as not to intrude or be too visible shall I say....but stay tuned.  :-))
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2017, 02:15:51 pm »

After a few trials. Heres my setup, "according to how you read the instructions". I just have the dummy mooring light to attach on the top. By leaving "out" the rear mast sandwich of plastic, it gives you extra room inside for cable runs. I have installed 9 cables and room for id say at least another 3 !!
All ive done then is cut a cover strip off the scrap plastic to finish off the back of the masthead.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2017, 05:17:05 pm »

Ive now wired up the cabin navigation lights, put a temp link in with the rest and sat them all on the cabin to check the results.... :-))
I just have to wire in the dash panel lights in forward cabin, plus me thinks a roof lamp in rear pilot compartment. O0

I have also made a replacement roof box for the searchlight, the original one might of been ok if left static, but decided to link this via a micro servo to the rudder control, so as boat turns, so does the lamp....hhmmm ;)
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2017, 05:53:29 pm »

Roof searchlight. I have to say, this is definately a kit on its own. Looks like a lot of bother and I do admit to seriously looking at a robbe searchlight I had in my spares box....thinking to substitute it :o...BUT have given it a go ! ;)
I would say follow the kit instructions carefully, but dont bend the fold lines on the brackets till you have soldered in the brass pivots, then solder in the pivot tubes....then fold the brackets.
The inner "raise/lower" tube is rather thin on its inner core, so I decided to run a single cable down it for safety, and just solder the negative cable of the lamp to the pivot rod of the inner bar.....inside the lamp housing.  then just solder the earth back on.....but underneath....inside the cabin area. 8)

the kit then gives you the option of 1/ leaving as is. 2/ remote control.  as you have option for a/rotate & b/ tilt.
My option is to fix the tilt, but allow to rotate, ....via a rudder arm clamped to underside of the ivot tube  and a rod link to a  micro servo....not wanting to overcomplicate I will link the light servo with the rudder, so as boat turns, the searchlight turns with the steering. :-))
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

glyn44

• Flying Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Pass the grog!
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2017, 06:55:23 pm »

Very useful pics Steve. Your not wasting your time blogging this I'm watching avidly.
Your efforts is invaluable
Regards Glyn.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2017, 08:39:30 pm »

Hi Glyn. I appreciate this kit is a bit of a "test piece" for quite a few viewers out there. Ive not seen any other build blogs on this particular kit. yes its a pity im not building "exactly" straight from the box, but adding my own ideas as I go. But this happens in time as you first see a boat kit....you already start thinking of improvements or modifications to either make a later/newer version or to create something totally different, just using the basic hull and cabin work as a base.

Yes I was going to build "as kit"but after sourcing images of pilot boats on the web, I saw a colour scheme that could also work, which will give it a slightly different appearance.  :-)
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.