Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Needing help with identity and some advise  (Read 10474 times)

flyte

• Full Mayhemer
  • The fog on the Tyne belongs to everyone.
Re: Needing help with identity and some advice
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2016, 06:58:59 pm »

Hi Roy, after a rethink I'm going with all acrylic, I'll be making my own waterslide decals which go best under a clear acrylic lacquer, also, acrylic is pretty much inert, I've never had any sort of compatibility issues with it and the stuff they sell now is very hard wearing. I was thinking Ivory myself with a dark red keel and waterline, I want to restore the vintage look.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Needing help with identity and some advice
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2016, 07:42:57 pm »

Hi flyte, I use acrylic often and it is hard wearing there is a double strength spray can in the 'Range' stores at a reasonable price.
regards Roy

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Needing help with identity and some advise
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2016, 02:18:42 pm »

Hi Flyte,

As roycv mentions, Acrylic varnishes are very good. I only use these now, because they are waterproof when dry, brushes wash out in water, give a good finish with several coats built up and they won't react with other older surfaces. It is just about the best finish for my Foam models and is easy to get in any DIY store at a reasonable price.
It makes for a good sealer over wood and will take other paints particularly acrylics and good quality 'toy' enamels like Humbrol over the top without problems. Most car body rattle cans are Acrylic now but good to test them out on scrap first.

It sounds like your friends 'Undercoat' stuff was actually 'Anti-climb' paint!!!or so old that all the solvent medium was evapoated. You must get rid of it all, maybe even resort to careful application of the Ronson Blow torch if necessary. Anything put over that will slide off it even if it does feel dry. A definate candidate for the bin.

(I recently noticed that woodworkers in the USA are blow-torching over twin pack epoxy resin finishes when still wet (On YouTube) to give a really glossy, streak and bubble free finish, might try that on something, not a boat though....Think Foam construction!!!)

Yep...go for the Acrylic varnish....Ronseal and similar are good and easy to get, their floor quality gloss is amazing. Remember its the whitish milky ones you want.

Cheers......Ron.

flyte

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2016, 02:55:33 pm »

Hi Ron, all the undercoat is gone now, strange but when I tried to clean off the residue with white spirits it didn't want to know. Acetone works fine though so nearly ready to start again !
I have loads of acrylic, both tins and spray cans (all bought within the last 2 years)  :} but I still need a main colour for the hull, I'm thinking ivory or cream.
Now I have the traditional Christmas cold and I can hear female voices in the background mumbling about "man flu"....... {:-{

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2016, 03:54:08 pm »

Hi again Flyte,

Back in September 2016 edition Model Boats, I recreated a 1935 model called Streamlinia. The hull cried out for a cream colour as well and after some testing, I went for CarPlan, Color Match Beige 02, which is an acrylic spray paint from a car spares shop. It is not really Beige of course but the same colour as the cream at the top of a bottle of Channel Island Gold Top....(For those that remember) anyway it was certainly the right colour for the age of the model. Looks lovely.

Cheers.........Ron.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2016, 04:24:00 pm »

Hi Ron I recall your streamlinia, it is an interesting model and I had to make my own but that was 28 years ago.  I went for the full size at 40 inches built from Hobbies Magazine 1938 plans.  My one is red and white Humbrol paint and was initially steam powered.
Hard work put into the paint finish has meant it still looks good today.
regards Roy

flyte

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2016, 05:41:36 pm »

Found some time to do a little more, still a long way to go but she's looking better  :} I made a waterslide name decal today and it came out well I think, hull painted in Ivory and Burgundy Red but needs lacquer, deck is in yacht varnish and needs one more coat, brasswork given a moderate clean in keeping with its age.

Posting a few pics in hope that someone will advice me about sails and rigging, I've spent hours looking at photos but cant find anything the same....or maybe I need to start a new thread for help ?

A few parts are missing, I "think" it was gaff rigged ( missing )......jib boom is missing......brass collar from mast which I think was for the gaff and all the sails etc missing. I have made a few brass anchor points for missing ones but there's still a few screw holes in the deck I need to identify.

flyte

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2017, 12:55:41 pm »

Finally got her finished  :-)) it took 10 days to get the rigging line as the first lot got lost in the post. I used C.K. 3517 builders line (£3 0n Ebay) it looks exactly the same as "faithful" chalk line but is available in 18mtr hanks, faithful only seems available in boxes of 12 !

I made a whole bundle of rigging parts, hooks, eyes, blocks etc thinking I would have spares but it just gobbled them up haha, the sails and thread are 100% cotton in a nice cream colour that matches the hull.

I have to confess I had no clue whatsoever about sails and rigging or how to rig this yacht, I went for a look that was aesthetically pleasing to me and hopefully functions as it should.

So there it is, my first pond yacht restoration, I've enjoyed every minute of it and will be keeping an eye out for another one, the only thing left might be to install some RC gear, probably just for the rudder.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2017, 01:25:22 pm »

Hi that is nice to see, well done.  Done a few myself so know what you have been doing.
May I just suggest that the bowsies could be cut back to being lower / nearer the deck and I always like to keep them neatly lined up.
But who am I to judge, nice job.
By the way I think the chalk line comes in a box of 12 because the line is continuous so you can cut off what you want.
best regards Roy

flyte

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2017, 03:51:33 pm »

Thank you Roy  :-)) and yes I see what you mean, they were the last thing I did this morning and I think my fingers were itching to grab my camera and take some pics.

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2017, 06:30:00 pm »

ss bar costs £120 for a 5 inch long piece of 4 inch diameter!....He said....Forget it!!)

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2017, 06:31:19 pm »

Seem to have lost all that post....!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2017, 08:58:26 pm »

It read like the end of a joke being told as you walk into a Pub Ron!

You did a lovely job on her Flyte  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2017, 11:16:26 am »

Those brass fittings on these older yachts really look good. A very fine job. Well done!
Bob.

flyte

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2017, 11:30:20 am »

Thank you Ron for those intriguing comments  {-)

Thank you ballastanskian for your kind words

Thank you Nemo, I love brass and wood, nothing else has that look of quality and a feeling for the past, thank you for your comments, much appreciated.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.