Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Ellesmere Port Model Boat Show  (Read 44213 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Ellesmere Port Model Boat Show
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2017, 12:07:34 pm »

Jim, what else do you expect from a forum full of grumpy old men!  ;)

Of course the country is going to the dogs - it always has done.

I'm happy enough with my modelling actually but just less inclined to travel hundreds of miles these days.

Colin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2017, 12:31:43 pm »

On a more practical note, the key to keeping shows going is to attract people through the door and that requires clubs and traders these days.

Since it is unlikely that we can magic up a new generation of boat modellers in the short term then I agree with Stavros and others that the way forward is to extend the scope of the shows by introducing other branches of modelling. If promoted properly then this should increase footfall as while people who make models do tend to concentrate on one type they often welcome the opportunity to look at other branches of the hobby and there is often a good crossover of ideas. Plus there is likely to be a wider range of traders at multi model shows and model boaters can often find interesting items and things to solve their problems when looking at stalls which normally serve other hobby areas, model railways for example.

What's not to like really?

Colin

Bowwave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2017, 12:32:16 pm »

As a number on here will know my own affiliation to all things boat shape goes back  a long long way  and I have  the experience of hindsight .  For the   hobby has changes significantly  to a point where it  can be unhelpful  to compere events  of the past with how they are today. Yet   I can recall events in the 1970s  which I was actively involved in attract   thousands of spectators.   We were leaders in Naviga  { world governing body for ship model sport}  at every level , there was over four thousand  modellers affiliated to the MPBA,  and  you needed a licence to operate your R/c equipment . Even   the original Convention  in  1990   made use of  the lower and upper basins at the Boat Museum  and ran a wide range of public displays  which pulled in     thousands  of  visitors      We can't go back to the past  and will  have  adapt  to the present even if it means less  and different type of shows   but it is a sobering thought  prior to 1989   there was no  specific  label  or mention of a dedicated  Model Boat Show  with trade , club and on the water activities combined   they all  blossomed  in the 1990s .
Bowwave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2017, 12:51:14 pm »

Yes, you are right Dave, but did the blossoming of the club/trader shows in the 1990s reflect the downturn in the original national model boating infrastructure together with the loss of local model shops from where most of us had been accustomed to buy the majority of our stuff? The shows provided, and still do do some extent, an alternative retail source which is now being undermined, perhaps fatally by the Internet.

The old Model Engineering Exhibition did have a strong trader presence but it was a multi modelling show.

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2017, 01:57:56 pm »

The really big numbers of modellers & families attend the large mainly model aircraft shows such as Wings & Wheels. If part of the idea of shows is to interest new hobbyists then I am surprised that model boats are not pushed harder in these large aircraft shows. I know Wings & Wheels does have a model boat tent but it hardly compares with the larger model boat shows. Perhaps it is model boats that need adding to aircraft as well as tanks & trucks that need adding to model boats.

A lot of model aircraft guys have the odd model boat which you pretty well always take home in one piece at the end of the day. I also suspect that there are a lot of older aeromodellers, who have been model makers rather than just flyers, who now find flying tricky because or eyesight etc issues.

None of this is meant to reduce my admiration for those who organised Ellesmere Port nor the show which I have thoroughly enjoyed in previous years but could not attend this year.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2017, 02:20:35 pm »

Jim, what else do you expect from a forum full of grumpy old men!  ;)

Of course the country is going to the dogs - it always has done.

I'm happy enough with my modelling actually but just less inclined to travel hundreds of miles these days.

Colin

{-) {-) {-) O0 O0
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Robbie11

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: March 06, 2017, 02:43:17 pm »

I'm a fairly recent convert to the world of Model Boats, albeit the military variety at present. I would guess that I'm probably one of the younger members on here (51). I came over to the world of model boats after years of building aircraft kits, it was time for a change. Moving to the Wirral hastened this change, especially having seen HMS Plymouth being towed away to her fate, I just had to make my poor attempt at a tribute to her.
I find the Ellesmere Port show to be a well managed and presented show with my only real issue being the lack of boats actually sailing! This could be down to the weather or just a pause in the activity when I was visiting (although I have visited 3 out of the last 4 years and always had the same  impression)As a child, something moving was always more interesting than looking at a static object. There were many fanstastic models on display and I'm assuming most were r/c ready so why not more in the water?
I found the traders who were there to be very helpful and encouraging and are likely to get my money when I begin my next project (could be the Norland!! Falklands fit out).As mentioned, my interest is in military vessels, especially RN so to that end its a little disappointing that neither Fleetscale or Scalewarship attended this show if indeed they do any these days.
Ultimately though having a user friendly website with excellent customer service is the way forward but this can be backed up with a physical presence at shows to get your name and product range noticed. Regular and insightful updates on social media helps too (always look forward to what Linkspan are up to!!)
Robbie

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2017, 02:48:32 pm »

Perhaps it is model boats that need adding to aircraft as well as tanks & trucks that need adding to model boats.

Avery good point tug fanatic and perhaps you are correct......perhaps a little arrogant of us [well, not me as I haven't built one yet] model boat builders to expect other genre of the modelling fraternity to fit in with us, rather than the other way around.

perhaps a first step would be to make presence known at the Woodvale, Southport air show for anyone willing to travel, both exhibiters and traders where there is a magnificent turn out of aircraft models and the real thing, and a growing number of model boats courtesy of the Southport and district model boat club.

this show is scheduled for Friday to Sunday September 15-17.

And if people are willing to advertise the hobby, why not such shows as the Woodvale transport rally, Southport, where both boat and aircraft modellers show their wares...why not traders and bring and buy's at these to promote the hobby.     http://www.woodvalerally.com/

Jim.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2017, 04:41:38 pm »

I was at Ellesmere port on Saturday, and a well done to the organisers for putting on a show.
Yes numbers were down but the organisers cannot make people attend. What has changed from year to year?
Its not the show the traders are there, the displays are there but the people as in US modellers are not there!
people moan when there is no shows, they moan when its a poor show but ultimately if we do not attend you cannot blame the organisers or the show they can only really supply the venue.

I am in a model boat club with approximately 100 members, the majority of them are a waste of space no real interest in model boating, just looking for somewhere to go. Numbers traveling to other local club open days are non-existent. i remember in June and July going from club to club supporting each other now nothing, clubs struggle to get their own members to turn up on open days never mind others.

On a more practical note, the key to keeping shows going is to attract people through the door and that requires clubs and traders these days.

Since it is unlikely that we can magic up a new generation of boat modellers in the short term then I agree with Stavros and others that the way forward is to extend the scope of the shows by introducing other branches of modelling. If promoted properly then this should increase footfall as while people who make models do tend to concentrate on one type they often welcome the opportunity to look at other branches of the hobby and there is often a good crossover of ideas. Plus there is likely to be a wider range of traders at multi model shows and model boaters can often find interesting items and things to solve their problems when looking at stalls which normally serve other hobby areas, model railways for example.

What's not to like really?

for the last 4 years, I have organised a modelling competition for a youth organisation aged 12-20. numbers taking part are up and down but there are youths out there taking part. HOWEVER last year I arranged for one group of them to attend a local model show, it was primarily model boats but there were other modellers there I was on holiday and when I got back I was DISGUSTED to find the modellers were complaining to the organisers about the youth group being there!
If nobody is willing to interact with the future then stop moaning about the death of the hobby.....

mersey dave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: March 06, 2017, 04:45:29 pm »

:-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

march show

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: March 06, 2017, 04:46:37 pm »

Great ideas, I know we had trucks and diggers the other year and I would love the tanks too, but it needs someone to organise it and I for one have not the time on top of doing what I do. if a club of trucks or tanks wants to come then I am all for it then please contact me and also to others too. we do clash with other shows also and when it comes to getting people to put a stand on in another hobby type, which I would be up for, if time permitted. The truth is, and I will confirm this at our next meeting, not many want the responsibility of putting a show on. I myself wouldn't have done this show if it wasn't for the late John Hughes, we egged each other on and we did a great job. It has been hard to do it without him, not just for what he or I did but just for the reassurance we gave each other. I have a small but great club that I'm part of and Malcolm and I just about do it with the help of Runcorn too. The old shows that were run had an army of helpers which we just don't have I hope we can get the numbers up, but maybe we as a hobby need to pool out resources to get better, just a thought.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2017, 06:44:09 pm »

HOWEVER last year I arranged for one group of them to attend a local model show, it was primarily model boats but there were other modellers there I was on holiday and when I got back I was DISGUSTED to find the modellers were complaining to the organisers about the youth group being there!
If nobody is willing to interact with the future then stop moaning about the death of the hobby.....

well said gingyer.

I know of a club not a million miles from me that think that the youth of today are the DEVIL'S INCARNATE.....no wonder there are no new builders coming through.

Jim.

Dave Cook

• Cookie
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Keep on Rockin
« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2017, 07:13:26 pm »

Wow , The negative vibes p*** me off , The show was great .

Regards Dave  >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

big_bri

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2017, 07:33:31 pm »

Regards Dave  >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Whole heartedly agree Dave.
I was there Saturday and will be there again next year and for as long as its running, its a great show.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Brian

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #114 on: March 07, 2017, 09:19:47 am »

Being negative and moaning about the shows will send out the wrong message and discourage
People and clubs & traders who we should be encouraging to attend for the future of the hobby.
I attended the show on Saturday purchased all the parts and fittings I needed to finish my boat
Met old friends.
I would like to thank the organisers,traders & clubs who put on the show,

John

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2017, 12:33:28 pm »

Anyway... a bit of good news if anyone's interested, the Bring and Buy broke all records! Thanks to Ray for his help and Yorky for providing the coffee

Thanks Martin you did a great job, & your crew.

John
                 POLL

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: March 08, 2017, 12:05:11 am »

you have missed the point entirely, nobody has said once the show at Ellesmere was poor, everyone has said it was great, the conversation is about declining numbers. I was talking to a friend on a club stand, his club has nearly 20 members pledge to turn up, 8 actually turned up. Its probably the "boaters" themselves that are letting the hobby down

Its a fantastic location, must be without doubt the best, the only show I know of with a large body of water to sail on, plenty of space, free parking, the attraction of the museum, easy motorway access, a lot of clubs within 1 hour travelling, nearby hotels etc, nearby large shopping complex for the wife :}  what more could we ask for, well there is something, the "sit at home " brigade who don't support the hard work and effort put in by the small unpaid minority to give us the pleasure of such a show.

Now we need more people, we need younger people, we need those in work with disposable income to buy things from the shops and traders. Maybe follow Blackpool show 2016  lead  next year and not rely on the "sit at homers" to turn up, and attract rc planes, tanks, trucks, drones, helis, there is also room for trains, we can all help each other to survive.

I must agree though, a moving boat looks so much better, out of curiosity, why is it that so many of the fully rc equipped models stay static all the show?

Sermon over! :embarrassed:   

D108

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
    • My models
« Reply #117 on: March 08, 2017, 12:42:29 am »

I have  visited the show for many years and have displayed on a few occasions, shifts allowing, this year the wife even came although a trip to Cheshire oaks on our return was the main factor in that.
I do like the site but I don't think it lends itself to displaying and sailing boats rooms being dotted about on different levels etc. It's not like displaying at the pondside.  My models are a little big to taken through the museum to the water. Having said that it's a unique venue and it adds character and I will continue to support it.

I was chatting to a member of another club at an event last year and he said there had been resistance to activities regarding attracting younger modellers for fear of being branded peadophiles ! Im late 40's and usually the youngest person sailing at my club.

Paul

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: March 08, 2017, 09:21:02 am »

you have missed the point entirely, nobody has said once the show at Ellesmere was poor, everyone has said it was great, the conversation is about declining numbers. I was talking to a friend on a club stand, his club has nearly 20 members pledge to turn up, 8 actually turned up. Its probably the "boaters" themselves that are letting the hobby down

Its a fantastic location, must be without doubt the best, the only show I know of with a large body of water to sail on, plenty of space, free parking, the attraction of the museum, easy motorway access, a lot of clubs within 1 hour travelling, nearby hotels etc, nearby large shopping complex for the wife :}  what more could we ask for, well there is something, the "sit at home " brigade who don't support the hard work and effort put in by the small unpaid minority to give us the pleasure of such a show.

Now we need more people, we need younger people, we need those in work with disposable income to buy things from the shops and traders. Maybe follow Blackpool show 2016  lead  next year and not rely on the "sit at homers" to turn up, and attract rc planes, tanks, trucks, drones, helis, there is also room for trains, we can all help each other to survive.

I must agree though, a moving boat looks so much better, out of curiosity, why is it that so many of the fully rc equipped models stay static all the show?

Sermon over! :embarrassed:

Hey Paul (red 181) I had my newly brushless converted Swordsman there on the W M B S stand ready to go , I elected not to because of all the debris that was being washed down the canal , definitely a rudder / prop destroyer at high speed , even one of the full size canal boats got a piece of 4x4 timber wedged under the bows . . . the tugs were able to go thru constant cleaning efforts by the stewards  :-))  , nothing wrong with the show as far as I'm concerned  .

Bill

canalpilot

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: March 08, 2017, 12:16:00 pm »

I do hope the Show was enjoyed by everyone who attended, it does mean a lot of time consuming and hard work. I start the process in ernest in about September although it is supposed to be put down on the museums calender for the next year the day after we close the show.  I would like to thank the traders who attended, they have been loyal supporters of the show for many yeras and I would like to thank all the clubs, especially Runcorn who help us set up the club stands, who displayed their models, again loyal supporters of the Show.  I would also like to thank my own club members for being behind Steve and I in the organisation of the show, everyone does a great job towards it.

With regard to declining numbers in our hobby, may I float an idea to you all who read this forum.  Do schools still have classes in practical craft work and if so maybe if such a class was donated a kit of a model to make, and I do not mean an airfix kit, but a much more substantial model, would we perhaps gain a few young modellers to come into the hobby.  Future modelling will no doubt use laser cutters and 3 D printing, all controlled by computers, which would not only continue a youngsters interest in computers but hopefull would get him intereted in the finished object, ie a static or an RC model boat.  I do appreciate that there maybe some concerns about youngsters mixing with older people but there can be safeguards in place to combat this.  My own interest in modelling was building Airfix kits which culminated in the Matchbox Corvette, as it was then,  into which I put my first radio controlled gear.
I also wonder if it those club members who moan about the decline in our hobby but are the very ones who sit on their backsides, being negative, buy through the internet and do not attend any shows, are the very ones who are contributing to the decline of our hobby.

There you go I have had my rant!!!!!

abreese

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: March 08, 2017, 01:51:38 pm »

I purchased a few items at the show,could have got them on the net but held back so I could support the show.
good show good atmosphere met some mates had a laugh.
use it or loose it I say. well done the organisers.

Kim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: March 08, 2017, 03:04:26 pm »

Do schools still have classes in practical craft work and if so maybe if such a class was donated a kit of a model to make, and I do not mean an airfix kit, but a much more substantial model, would we perhaps gain a few young modellers to come into the hobby.  Future modelling will no doubt use laser cutters and 3 D printing, all controlled by computers, which would not only continue a youngsters interest in computers but hopefull would get him intereted in the finished object, ie a static or an RC model boat.

Yes they do and in some ways i feel went to school to early ... my powder coated trowel went directly to the bin ... why couldn't we have been taught how to make a fiberglass kayak or something interesting lol

Two sites of interest -

http://website.denford.ltd.uk/

http://www.f1inschools.com/

Davew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2017, 03:26:28 pm »

What  wI'll happened if we don't  have  model  shows and what will happen  to  this forum  we it be about tanks ,Lorry's  and plastic  kits  we need  to  support  shows and shops or there will be no model boats .

Had my rant

DaveW
I am not sure about this

Grumpy Dave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: August 29, 2017, 09:20:15 pm »

I hear that 2018 show may not be taking place. I'm 45min away and always miss it, my fault. On the subject of declining numbers, I am a kit car fan and the number of kit car shows has fallen dramatically. Just not financially viable. Again we see the lack of young people coming up. At our club meets there are very few under 50's. The world is changing. We don't make boats out of bits we find or scrounge any more. Post war if you wanted it you made it, you even had repair washers to mend holey saucepans. Now there is little make it ethos and everything can be bought, why would young people want to make things when there is Ready to run/fly/sail. Instant gratification.

canalpilot

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: August 29, 2017, 11:39:21 pm »

Grumpy Dave has heard that the Ellesmere Port Model Boat Club will not be doing the boat show next March, this is correct.  I do not know whether the Museum will run one.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.