Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone tried sticking polypropylene?  (Read 1719 times)

Ship Worm

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Anyone tried sticking polypropylene?
« on: December 11, 2016, 09:01:43 am »

Has anyone tried to stick polypropylene or polyurethane? Its designed to be 'greasy' like PTFE so that apart from heat welding its hard to do. I am building a radio controlled swan from a decoy plastic full sized thing that is designed to sit on a garden pond and scare herons and the like. I have tried a two part adhesive which consists of a solvent primer and a cyano topcoat, but has anyone tried anything else which works?
I may be getting older - but I refuse to grow up!

Danny

• Gorleston Model Boat Club
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Gorleston MBC
Re: Anyone tried sticking polypropylene?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 11:10:51 am »

I've made a couple of bath duck models which are made of the "greasy" polypropylene.  They have stuck well with this universal bonding kit
http://www.shop4glue.com/universal-glue-bond-adhesive-repair-pack-metal-all-plastics-ptfe-polyethylene-polypropylene-silicone-81-p.asp

Follow the instructions and you will have a hard join that can be sanded and painted (and seems to last years).

The hard bit with these models is getting them to stick their necks underwater and their bums in the air!!  %) {-)

Cheers
Danny

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 01:38:02 pm »

"The hard bit with these models is getting them to stick their necks underwater and their bums in the air!!"

In contrast, Danny, it is something that appears only too easy to do with racing powerboats in my experience.

As to glue, this may just work although it is expensive

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pattex-Two-Component-adhesive-PSE13%C2%A0Inh-30g/dp/B001PHBXKS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481463554&sr=8-1&keywords=stabilit+express.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 01:43:44 pm »

When I built my swan I used an ahesive called "Sticks Like Sh*t" (yes, that is it's name) comes in a tube like silicone sealant, available on eBay.

And it does live up to it's name...  %)
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 09:19:56 pm »

Everbuild also do a product like sticks like###### its is called stixall and comes in grey/ black/ white/ and clear. Give them a call ask for technical section they offer very good service. Contact number is  0113 2403456 hope this helps. This adhesive is sold at most builders merchants  if you contact them on the number above the can tell you if this product will be OK and your local stockist.

Stan.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 09:51:45 pm »

Both PU and HPU [thermoplastic polyurethane elastomers] have excellent chemical resistance to an extremely broad range of aggressive fluids [both liquid and gaseous]....[yes they are colour coded during the chemical brew during manufacture to provide differentiation]

Localised heating of the plastic surface to ~~ 130 degrees C will physically char the surface, however this also decomposes the elastomer

Conventional adhesives simply sit on the surface and do not chemically of mechanically bond to the plastic surface........any joint that is glued will have extremely low tensile or shear strength

One would have to question the suitability of any fabricated and glued polyurethane structure for marine use....

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Ship Worm

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 11:03:43 am »

Thanks for that guys. Just shows what a brilliant website this is to be able to tap into a fund of knowledge to get answers or guidance when you are stuck for a solution. Much appreciated and thanks again.
I may be getting older - but I refuse to grow up!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.