Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How hard is spray "enamel"?  (Read 2315 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
How hard is spray "enamel"?
« on: August 16, 2007, 07:31:39 pm »

I've had a rather frustrating couple of days painting the hull of my Dean's Medea steam yacht. The bottom is Halford's red primer which is fine. The green boot topping is Tamiya acrylic which is OK as it goes on top of most things. The white topsides is Wilkinson's spray satin white which goes on quite well and gives a decent subdued sheen. The plan of action was to mask off the topsides and spray the bottom with red primer, then mask off the bottom and apply the white before finally painting the boot topping by hand. Of course the whole shebang went off the rails when I managed to get overspray followed by paint bleed (even using Tamiya masking tape) which meant lots of touching up and re touching up and of course the Tamiya acrylic doesn't like being overpainted etc. etc. :-\. Still, it now looks halfway decent as long as I don't get too close but I'm now wondering just how hard the white spray "enamel" will get and how long it will take. It's very similar to Plasticote but quite a bit cheaper (maybe not a good idea!). Also, should I wait for it all to dry properly and then apply Ronseal satin polyurethane varnish which I'm not too enthusiastic about as I don't want to risk a reaction with the existing finish and the varnish is likely to make the white topsides look a bit yellowish.

I am preparing some test pieces but any comments/advice would be welcome.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: How hard is spray "enamel"?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 08:32:27 pm »

:(
Hi Colin Cant comment the white paint from Wilkingsons never used it. I tend to Halford primers only undercaot purposes

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 08:57:39 pm »

:( Hi Colin

Please ignore the first post fingerer's all over the place. Reference your paint problem I have only used Halfords' primer for undercoat purposes, too expensive to use now large tin over £6. I have never used paint from Wilkinsons so I cannot comment on drying time. Red primer should be no problem it will accept Humbrol varnish so will Tamiya paints. I would  allow the white to dry for a few days before applying any varnish - use a clear varnish.  Humbrol do a range of matt finish, satin and gloss.   These will not make your white paint go yellow.

If you feel that you need to repaint the hull I would remove the paint using very fine wet and dry with a small amount of washing up liquid on the wet and dry. Tamiya paints do not like being applied by brush - much better if applied via air brush if  possible.

Hope the white dries o/k

Stan :)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 07:51:34 am »

Colin, This probably does't tell you anything you don't already know but it is worth a read through:

http://www.rcboataholic.com/faq/painting.htm
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 09:14:55 am »

Thanks for the comments guys. That link is a good one Bunkerbarge. As you say, probably not anything we don't sort of already know but it does set things out clearly. I've printed it off for future reference.The hull looks generally OK at the moment, not 100% perfect but probably in keeping with the rest of the model when I finish it! Certainly not worth stripping the hull anyway.

White is always a problem colour for working model hulls as you are going to regularly dunk them into dirtyish water. It must therefore be possible to readily clean the paint surface which means it must be durable. With hindsight I should probably have stuck to Halfords all round but I like doing things the hard way!

The best white I have ever used was Blackfriars Polyurethane Non Drip Lacquer which was applied to my Granada fruit ship model almost 30 years ago. It gave a lovely finish and despite five years intensive use on the regatta circuit followed by a long retirement in a glass case it has never yellowed and still looks good. I expect it's due to the paint being full of all sorts of toxins  ::). I've still got an unused can which I saved for a rainy day - spray painting wasn't a common option in those days.

I'm going to leave things for a few days to see how things go before considering varnish. The sun (when it comes out) heats up our conservatory to 80 degrees plus at this time of year which should bake it quite nicely. The old Humbrol varnish was good but had a short shelf life before "orange peeling" set in and white spirit would "melt" it even when dry. The new stuff has a different makeup so I'm a bit wary of it.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 08:02:36 pm »

my paint of choice is Plasticote, usually from B&Q, Celestia's paint is entirely Plasticote and its very durable! 
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.