Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: U.S.S. Arizona BB-39 Static build  (Read 28385 times)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
U.S.S. Arizona BB-39 Static build
« on: December 14, 2016, 05:23:13 am »

Hello Folks,  Got my Christmas present early.  The Trumpeter kit of the U.S.S. Arizona BB-39 at 1/200 scale.  Model will be 36" long. After a long search and research, I decided that I wanted to do a memorial build of this famous WW2 Battleship, sunk at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii ... December 7, 1941.  Good reviews on the Trumpeter kit helped me to decide to go ahead with the build. The kit will be enhanced with a PE kit from MK-1 out of Korea and possibly the purchase of a few others.  Not a cheap investment, but I think worthy of the effort to build and I hope you folks enjoy it as much as I will.  The hull is split in half at the waterline.  I have started with the bottom half, by first lightly sanding the hull and adding reinforcement battens or strakes by using a thin tape.  I have dry fitted the rudder and prop shaft struts and applied a coat of brass paint on the screws, wheels, or propellers, whichever one you want to call.  Winter is here, with snow on the ground.  Fitting for the Christmas season.  Here is wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and prosperous and healthy new year.  Build on!   Best regards,  Dennis Lancaster

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: U.S.S. Arizona BB-39 Static build
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 11:17:46 pm »

Eyes down, look in - Dennis is at it, yet again... {-)

Serious note; Sorry for the little ditty Dennis - as always, your builds are fascinating and this one should be no exception. Looking on as you progress.

Regards,

Ray.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 12:16:39 am »

hahahahah... that's funny Ray.  Yea, this will be a fun build and I've already got some ideas for extra detail.   Take care,  Dennis

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 09:32:52 am »

This is going to be excellent, knowing you, which is why I shall be following this thread with great interest.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 10:35:38 am »

Dennis.......it appears she went through many design revisions between her commissioning in 1915 and her final days in Pearl Harbour of 1941

Looking forward in seeing the detail in the twin masts.........the original BB39 must have been nearly 1/3 in height over length ;)

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 06:21:17 pm »

I agree Derek... many changes indeed.  Fortunately (I think), the model is so famous, that a ton of research has already been done, along with some criticism about the errors Trumpeter made).  Oddly, the biggest issue has been her paint color just before she was sunk.  I think that has been nailed down and I will probably try to represent her with her last colors.  About ready to apply bottom paint.  Cheers,  Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 11:30:51 pm »

Another enthralling winter build to watch out for  :-)) I cannot wait for more updates Derek.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 03:07:24 am »

Just a word about changes in plastic model making.  I've been away from this form of modeling for some time and just recently.. well, in the past two years, have jumped back into this hobby.  I started with BlueJacket kits, which have a wood hull and cast brittania fittings and some brass fittings.  Very accurate and made for a nice model.  It wasn't until I purchased a Technoart kit that included resin hull and fittings and cast bronze and brass fittings and several sheets of PE for fine scale fittings that really pushed up the mark for scale quality, and of course the price point took a huge jump. That Technoart kit was close to $1,000 U.S.  Then I moved back in to plastic kits and discovered that a new cottage market has been created to enhance the scale of any plastic kit.  Called an Upscale kit, one could now produce a true museum quality model by adding an additional Upscale kit and, at a substantial cost.  As I was to discover, the Trumpeter kit of the U.S.S. Arizona was not bad in scale accuracy and even included a few sheets of PE and at a hefty cost of around $218 U.S. depending on where you bought the kit, plus shipping.  But, to really do the kit justice, one needed to purchase one of the fine Upscale kits.  I chose, based on research and reviews, to purchase the MK-1 Upscale kit out of Korea.  I paid "more" than the basic Arizona kit, at a price of around $250 U.S.  I just received that kit and frankly, I was a bit shocked at how little I got for my money.  The kit essentially includes 3 finely printed, laser cut wood decks and 5 sheets of PE.  True, the parts are fantastic and highly accurate and will yield several hundred 3D brass parts, which are going to make the model look wonderful.  Who am I to complain, but quality comes at a price I suppose.  And, why, I ask, don't the main kit manufacturers just include the upscale kits??  Cost is probably the answer.  And so, a new industry is born that has probably spun out of the microchip semiconductor industry... of which I was a part of for 23 yrs during my working years.  Just thought you folks might find my blab interesting.  Well here is a pic of the Upscale kit for you to ponder.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 01:10:35 am »

Busy working on the top half of the hull.  The bottom is now fully bottom painted, with screws and rudder added.  I am currently drilling out all the portholes on the top half and will paint when that is done.  For the number of portholes, you would think this is a cruise ship!  I ran into my first snag of the build.  The Upscale kit from MK-1 provides wood decks.  Actually, they are very precise for fit, etc. only one problem. It appears that Trumpeter has changed the mid deck configuration since introduction of the kit in 2012.  There is now a raised section that will define the 5" gun placements.  Only thing I can figure is that Trumpeter is trying configure for R/C conversion and creating an access place into the hull.  What this does, is prevents the wood deck to lay flat in that area.  I had to carefully lay that deck upside down onto the wood deck and scribe the cutout onto the deck, which will then be cut away to allow the wood deck to lay down flat.  I attempted to write to MK-1 and inform them that their wood deck is now not correct and cannot make contact over the internet.  Oh well, buyer beware.  It is not a game changer, but just adds another step.  Cheers,  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 01:11:05 am »

more.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 06:12:06 pm »

It is lucky that ara of the deck and superstructure are symetrical because you would have had added isses in getting the modified fit right.

Your observations on the etched sheets make sense, as if you want a million TVs, you will need at least a million etched circuit boards if not more and no cottage industry can meet that demand. I have heard that in a similar vein, some Chinese styrene kit manufacturers are also manuacturers of other industrial plastic castings and do the kits as a sideline. I am not sure how true this is though.

Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 08:24:37 pm »

So true.  Its been fun.  I'm in the process of painting the upper hull half.  My research is pointing towards a Dark Gray.  Quite the topic on the final colors of the Arizona, from a lighter gray to a dark blue, almost black for upper hull and verticals.   I'm having to apply 3 coats to cover, as I brush all my paint.  I'll be attaching the upper half of the hull to bottom when the hull painting is done.  Then I can begin applying the wood decks.  The Trumpeter casting is very well done with minimal flash and very close fits.  Its a delicate process, as I have to be mindful when plastic parts are being replaced by PE, filling in attachment points that won't be needed, etc.  cheers,  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 03:21:47 am »

Final hull color is now painted on.  I think the dark gray will be fine.  I added bilge stringers by using pin striping tape to simulate, as the casting did not include them.  The top half of the hull still needs to be glued and screwed down before I move on to the wood decking.  These old Penn. class dreadnaughts sure had the look of an old bull dog.  Heavy at over 29,000 long tons disp., length over 600ft and beam around 100ft... she was massive and probably could hit 21 knots full out.  Still, sadly, it only took one bomb to sink her at Pearl.  I realize that the Arizona was not the only ship that suffered loss at Pearl, but who knows, I might choose to model some of the others as well. Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 03:22:09 am »

more.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 08:34:16 pm »

Just out of interest, are you building her with the cage masts? I ask because in Military Modelling this month a period ship model was built in 1:700th with 3D printed cage masts thus saving many hours of bending and shaping the convex spiral. Perhaps a 1:200th scale one is available?

There is something quite bluff about her Derek, not imposing and intimidating like the Borodinos and similar Russian behemoths, but still workmanlike and no nonsense.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2016, 10:41:00 pm »

No, the cage masts were earlier, she was coverted to 3 pole masts I think in the late 30's.  I can only imagine what the cage would be like to build, even with PE.  Ok, the wood deck is being cut to fit... what a job and alot of material is coming out.  I wrote both to MK-1 and Trumpeter as to what this is causing me to do to get this deck to fit.  Guess they don't really care actually.  It will be fine in the end.  Dennis

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 01:04:06 am »

Ian...... %)...the builder here is a Dennis......he may be building a 3 legged mast but he's not a Derek  {-)

PostedfFrom the Land of OZ................
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016, 01:57:43 am »

hahaah  :} .... well, sometimes I think I'm 3 legged, but yes, name is Dennis.. tks.  Ok, the wood main deck is on.  Actually, it went very smoothly, once I got the center cutout made.  The adhesive is just right and the deck is self-aligning with all the deck openings and raised areas.  It is amazingly accurate, so other than that original snafu... my hat off to the manuf.  Very happy with the results.  Now on to 10 5" guns.  Dennis

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 02:18:37 am »

A superb surface finish for a brushed application Dennis  %)

Posted from the Land of OZ................Derek  ;)
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2016, 07:39:02 pm »

Sorry Dennis, I got you and Derek (Derekwarner Decoy) mixed up! It often happens. Tripod mast it is  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2016, 09:21:38 pm »

Never a problem sir..... Build on!   Dennis :-)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2017, 04:57:01 am »

5" AA cannon complete.  I'm very pleased with Trumpeter's detail in casting and the PE Upscale kit from MK-1 is providing nice to scale railings.  Happy New Year folks! ok2  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2017, 04:57:42 am »

A nest of 5" AA's

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2017, 06:11:36 am »

Ohhhhhh.....

US 5" AA mounts projectile shells [casing shell & bullet bit].......would each weight approx. 40 lbs  >>:-(...certainly not for the feint hearted gun crew   :-X

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2017, 06:43:20 pm »

Young fit sailors and a serious interest in their longevity would make them less of an issue to handle. (says he who hasn't ever rapidly fed a gun with heavy shells:O)

Lovely work Dennis  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.