Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: U.S.S. Arizona BB-39 Static build  (Read 28382 times)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
Re: U.S.S. Arizona BB-39 Static build
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2017, 07:55:18 pm »

Main stack is in place now.  Or is it a funnel.  I am curious the use of the inclosed platforms on either side of the stack.. I wonder if it is a control area for the 5" anti-aircraft cannon on the deck just below? Either way, it would be a hot location right next to the stack like that.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2017, 07:55:53 pm »

more.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2017, 08:19:18 pm »

Very nice Dennis :-))

If it was a RN battleship the enclosed area on the funnel would house searchlights and their controls but as there were none on the Arizona in that area it sounds feasible that they are the lookout positions for the AA guns below.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2017, 09:43:48 pm »

Initial thoughts would be that the observers could only see out and not up, but as they are directing weapons with a good range, their upper limit of view would not be so restricted. That position would be a good one if sailing in the far north or south as it would be very cosy:O)

Lovely work as ever Dennis. I like the Galley chimney exiting an odd shaped box on deck.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2017, 05:19:01 am »

Tks gentlemen, that sounds about right, I'll keep checking into it.  Yes, searchlights are located elsewhere.  That black pipe is the vent for the incenerator.  The face of that incenerator box is painted black per documentation, it is the loading point into the incenerator.  I was tempted to paint the whole box black, but that is not how they did it.

Dennis

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2017, 06:20:41 am »

As Dennis questions.... 'Either way, it would be a hot location right next to the stack like that'

No Dennis......boiler stacks [chimneys] were complex heat regeneration systems.....exhaust heat is not waste heat, it was used for a multitude of reheating procedures

Having said this, each pipe or trunking within the chimney stack would have been insulated with raw [waterproofed]  ASBESTOS lagging

So, that open windowed lookout box would only be heated by scorching direct sunlight, or freezing in the winter winds from the frozen seas  <*<

Derek 
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2017, 04:41:12 am »

Rear Mast is nearly completed and dry placed, looks pretty straight.  The search light platforms were fiddly and railing about drove me nuts, but its done.  As I do my research on the net, I come to find out that the Arizona has been modeled thousands of times already. Thats ok, I'm doing this for me as a tribute to whoever see's her long after I'm gone.  Its been a fun and challenging build.  I was correct that Trumpeter began to lag in sales for this kit and so retooled it appeal to the RC crowd in hopes of pushing up their sales.. don't know how that worked for them, but did cause some minor grief with the upscale kit makers in areas of the deck, which I have discussed earlier.  Due to the tons of info out there, I am able to build a fairly accurate ship model.  I have not made all of the changes to the things that are wrong with the kit, just what I can, I am doing.  Lots more to do yet.  Cheers  O0  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2017, 04:41:45 am »

more.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2017, 08:31:51 pm »

I always thought the outer jacket was for heat insulation but assumed that it was only partially effective, but I have learnt a lot about the space and its efficient system.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2017, 05:54:30 am »

Rear Mast railings and search lights are in now.  Lots of detail on this beast yet to go before I glue the thing in for good.  Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2017, 09:32:39 pm »

Complex old things aren't they with each platform having a job plus adding some redundancy in case of damage.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2017, 10:22:29 pm »

Yes, they were very complex for the day.  Can you imagine being up in that crows nest in heavy seas, swinging side to side... I wonder what degree arc those battleships would take?  I do get seasick and was thankful to be stationed aboard an aircraft carrier during my Navy years... I worked in the message center and we would tie a coffee cup to a string to the overhead and watched it begin to swing side to side in heavy seas... otherwise, you hardly felt the movement... USS Ranger.... Forrestal Class...huge.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2017, 09:17:15 pm »

Aft Mast is 90% complete and now cemented in place.  Also finished the Catapult on Turret 3 with associated railing and ladders.  Also installed all boat cradles on aft main and 5" gun deck aft.  She is starting to look like the "Zona" at last.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2017, 09:17:40 pm »

more

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2017, 09:57:14 pm »

I imagine it would have been character building! I read in a book recently about a Sovereign class Pre dreadnought and how they were not designed with bilge keels. So likewise anyone in the crows nests would have been dutiful souls.

Lovely work Dennis.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2017, 02:39:29 am »

The Arizona does have bilge keels and with her wide beam (over 100ft), perhaps she was stiffer than I imagined.  Tks, Dennis

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2017, 04:38:02 pm »

I admire the amount of detail being added to the build and at such a small scale it must be a nightmare, to get in and around obstructions, without any major breakages - looking great Dennis. :-)

Regards,

Ray.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: February 24, 2017, 04:49:27 pm »

Thank you Ray.  There are a number of Upscale kits offered for the Arizona kit from Trumpeter.  I selected MK, but have since discovered that some of the others offer additional detail.  I am realizing that I won't be able to make all the corrections or add all the extra detail, as these Upscale kits can get very expensive.  It will be what it is, close to what the ship looked like in 1941, but not perfect.  It has really been a fun experience and I'm already thinking about the next one.  Yikes..where am I gonna put all these models??  Cheers,  Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2017, 09:06:59 pm »

It will be a fitting memorial to those who perished Dennis. I am sure those who passed away will look kindly upon your efforts especially as the build is to honour them. A few minor irregularities will not spoil the model.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2017, 09:10:59 pm »

Amen!  That is what I am trying to do and the real reason for building the model.  Thank you for that insight.  :-))   Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2017, 07:18:54 pm »

Bridge is in.  Alignment is good, a testiment to the changes Trumpeter made on this Arizona model.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2017, 07:19:21 pm »

more.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2017, 10:47:21 pm »

Amazing Dennis  :-)) In twenty years, a bridge went from a wooden summer house on a platform to a structure more complex than the hull it was sat on.

Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: March 06, 2017, 04:01:33 am »

Hi Folks, this is an example of the PE work covering the surface of the fore mast gun control station to be mounted on the fore mast top of the tri-pod supports. What I was supposed to do was trim off all ridges surrounding the windows and then lay down the PE covering.  However, the detail on the PE for the window surrounds was not pronounced enough, so I left the ridges as cast and trimmed the windows out of the PE and applied the covering on the surrounding area.  The detail this gives is just mainly rivets, which comes out quite nicely after paint is applied.  Bridge deck is now installed as are the tri-pods.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2017, 04:56:15 am »

Foremast observation tower rigging supports from PE.  Later, the signal flag halyards will be rigged to these supports.  Very delicate and amazing detail that can be achieved from PE.  Model is at around the 90% point to ccompletion.  Ships boats install, anchors and chain, main rigging, main railing and a few more ladders remain.. does not sound like much, but all that will be time consuming as final details usually are.  Dennis
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.