Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Offshore industry in dire straits  (Read 1534 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Offshore industry in dire straits
« on: December 14, 2016, 02:14:25 pm »

Since the crash of oil things have been going from bad to worse in the offshore industry. There are currently over a 1000 anchor handlers and supply vessels laid up across the world. Here in Europe Maersk shipping is scrapping (not selling off) half of its fleet of anchor handlers.

Which brings me around to this, I finished building this model back around March of this year, the Posh Venture. I heard this morning that the real vessel which was only built in 2009 has been in layup for the last six months in some backwater anchorage of Namibia and could also be on her way to the scrapyard.

I guess that like the fishing industry in the UK, the time for oil exploration and supply is coming to an end.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Offshore industry in dire straits
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 09:04:30 pm »

Brian....for every one tug handler vessel in lay-up, there is a corresponding number of bulk carriers be they liquid or ore

This is just a function/result of Western society economic modelling........

China needed Coal and Iron Ore in volumes that made Accounts eyeball pop :o ...so they present profit$ to Ship Builders/Owners and a new fleet of 100,000+ class ore carriers are built to handle the projected growth for demand for shipping

All is well for a number of years, every one is happy....Iron Ore is $220/tonne...Coal is $300/tonne..........China says  <*<......Iron Ore drops to $65/tonne.....Coal drops to $85/tonne

It is estimated a ~~1.2 million tonnes bulk carrier capacity is also in moth balls.........

The wheels of the Western worlds bank accounts  >>:-( turn slowly...........

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 10:46:25 pm »

AKA ... Boom and bust.

Though lord knows when/if we'll see the next boom  <:(

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 12:00:50 am »

Back in the late 70's our Australian Government >>:-(  had four x 100,000 bulk carriers built [Prospector, Pioneer, Purpose & P?????.........upon completion there was no cargo contracts available  :embarrassed: ...so they were mothballed in the fjords of Norway for 2 years............exporters of Australian coal and iron ore eventually secured contracts to ship these minerals from northern Australia to Europe and Japan......

An experience I will never forget was being called from Singapore  >>:-( that the ANL MV Purpose had an issue with the main engine Woodward governor amplifier pump.....so I flew 3000km to meet the ship off Dampier on the north western coast of OZ & spent a few days assisting with the new amplifier system installation and commissioning O0......   

AUSTRALIAN PURPOSE 64,921 gross tons, 51,187 net. 122,600 deadweight. Lbd: 267.60 x 39.04 x 16.08 metres. Single screw. 15.5 knots. on7389675 Bulk carrier 7 cylinder 2 stroke cycle single acting Burmeister and Wain type oil engine by A/B Gotaverken, Gothenberg. Completed May 1977 by Gotaverken Oresundsvarvet AB, Landskrona, under this name although original name allocated - Mount Stuart. Laid up upon completion and eventually commissioned February 1979. May 1980 sold in a refinancing arrangement to Australian Purpose Finance Ltd., Hong Kong and transferred to Australian Purpose Ltd., Hong Kong. Bareboat chartered by this concern since with registration remaining in Australia. Sistership to Australian Prospector. 1989 sold, renamed Tao Yuan Hai. Sustained cracked hull in 30.39S/81.40E 25 May 1990 & sank 30.14S/81.35E 27 May 1990
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.