Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Solomon Browne - Penlee lifeboat disaster anniversary  (Read 1972 times)

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
Solomon Browne - Penlee lifeboat disaster anniversary
« on: December 15, 2016, 01:58:18 pm »

on the 19 December 1981 the life boat  Solomon Browne  went down with all crew   RIP  find the person who stole the medal and give him or her a long prison sentence.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: solomon browne
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 03:25:56 pm »

RIP You Gallant Heroes.
The medal was stolen from a
'Secure Facility' at RNLI HQ  <*<
How the hell can that be allowed
to happen?

I agree with Gordon, but Life would
be too short a sentence.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 05:22:36 pm »

I cant beleave a LOW LIFE would stoop that low what a very sad world we live in so happy am not young and now in my twilight year.
                                   Regards Howard.

mook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 06:11:39 pm »

Unfortunately some people will steal anything hope they never need the RNLI to rescue them

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 08:50:27 am »

I've said this before in previous threads, but I'll happily repeat myself at this particular time of the year - every year.

My Dad was rescued twice by the RNLI. Once when his ship was bombed during WWII and once a few years earlier when his ship Taycraig foundered in Mounts Bay during a severe storm. On that occasion the crew was rescued by a previous Penlee Lifeboat in circumstances similar to when Solomon Browne went to the aid of Union Star. The cox put the lifeboat almost on the deck of the sinking coaster to let the crew almost step across to safety. I've no doubt that Solomon Browne was also trying to get as close as possible to affect a rescue.

He naturally had an enduring respect for the RNLI and its crews, and as Master of the tug Meeching he worked closely with them later in his career when tug and lifeboat attended the same incidents.

A more gentle man you could never meet, but I know what he'd have like to have done to the b*****d who stole the medal.

God bless the gallant men of the RNLI - and I would not be here writing this but for them.
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 09:51:56 am »

Unfortunately the people who do this sort of thing have no real concept of what they are doing or the effect they are having on others and neither do they care. It's just another opportunity to make a bit of money - probably to feed a drugs habit. Not sure where they would be able to sell something like that though, as they will probably find, so it it could just end up being thrown away when they realise it has no monetary value.

Colin

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 10:10:56 am »

Unfortunately some people will steal anything hope they never need the RNLI to rescue them
I firmly agree with what has been said but, if they were in trouble on the seas the lifeboat crews
Would still risk all to try and save them. Rnli crews have my respect for what they do, they are
All hero,s.

John

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 11:06:11 am »

Anyone with even a tiny understanding of what these brave crews do simply couldn't comprehend doing this.
As an ex seafarer I my ship had need to put out a call once after a fire in the Engine Room.
It was such a comfort to have the lifeboat alongside.
I cannot say in here exactly what I think of these lowlife(s).

Bob
Officially a GOG.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Solomon Browne - Penlee lifeboat disaster anniversary
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 06:38:26 pm »

the sad thing about this is that the RNLI, like the churches in this land of ours rely upon the honesty of others, and are probably the most relaxed organisation where  security is concerned that there could be.

And yet the RNLI are a charity of immense collateral and valuable equipment. I don't think that the RNLI have even gone down the road of fitting CCTV's to their stations yet, and so are their worst enemy.

I know that Cromer was never, and neither is Fleetwood, from what I am told, plumbed into their local police stations for any early alarms from burglar break ins and they still labour under the belief that people just won't break in to a station in order to do damage or theft, because they are a charity who saves lives at sea, and yet such scrota that do, do not have any more on their mind than obtaining goods that can be sold to maintain a drug habit or similar, and as such couldn't care less what the charity is or represents. It is just money to them, and sadly a bright shiny lump of gold has no distinction other that the price they can get for it. And sadly it is also a case of "steel to order", which is even more depressing.

It won't be long before such thieves actually steel a lifeboat from an afloat pen. I know from talking to the lads at Fleetwood that this was once attempted when two nutters scaled the high security fence and gained access to the lifeboat deck, but happily they were drunk and couldn't make entry to the main cockpit, not knowing that they could have started her from the flying bridge with some nouse. It was only the diligence of a dog walker apparently who heard the noise down on the pontoon and alerted the police that they were found, arrested and GIVEN A CAUTION for trespassing..........no more than that!

I know that the case of the theft of the Gold Medal is seen to be an inside job within the RNLI as some seem to think, but had there been more security within the organisation, it would not have happened..

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.