Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Tid Tug 164 Build Models By Design...The BIG UN  (Read 32067 times)

Stavros

Tid Tug 164 Build Models By Design...The BIG UN
« on: December 15, 2016, 09:57:05 pm »

Right then all this is due to One members fault and he knows who he is,this has been lying under my workbench for longer than I care to own up to...oK ok ok its5yrs since it last saw light of day !!!!!..

I was first introduced to the Tid's by now dearly departed next door Neighbour who used to own a Tid Namly a Tid called Bonchurch which was used to take fishing party.s and general Tug towing Based in Bangor North Wales at Penrhyn Port Bangor.I remember it like yesterday having been given the job of cleaning the fresh water tanks and cement washing them ...now a nice job believe you me.The Bonchurch is still on the water albeit now as a House boat and was last seen in Cheshire.

Right then the build

This is what was done 5 yrs ago and I will bring it up to date after a few disasters along the way.

This was the rudder mounting 1st time around...yes it worked

Showing the servo arrangement

This was the ill fated shaft that has caused all my greif

Showing the Brass Rudder and Shaft plate

Sorry but this is a rather poor shot of how the deck is held on...The wood pieces you see are bonded to the hull using P40

Dave

Stavros

Re: Tid Tug 164 Build Models By Design...The BIG UN
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 10:09:34 pm »

The Deck was made in sections which sorry Daz I couldnt remember how I had done it till I found these pics,this from what I can see is made with 2mm ply in more than one section and then it was Bonded to the hull with a couple of layers of 1oz Mat and resin and then tissue applied over it .

Deck Marked out and ready to cut out using a angle grinder with a thin cutting dicsc

Cut out and ready to be hand sanded to the correct line

From this shot you all can see that the superstructure is not level with the deck so has to be cut down to fit level

This is how it was done ....a scrap piece of plywood and a pencil cut down and drilled and used as a scribe,now as the deck is smooth it will follow the deck line and put the exact scribe line along where is needed to be cut

Dave

tizdaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boom!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 10:15:02 pm »

haha!

/looks around innocently while whistling!

Ive decided (after yours & pete's lil pep talk on my thread) to go back to beams & scrap the bulkheads, i have a good idea now how to fit the beams etc, im going to use some 3x2 lengths for beams & support etc :) ..i picked up some P40 today so over the weekend im gunna fit the beams/support :)

jus tried to give you a bell earlier but didnt realise how late it was, sorry!

What size prop did you say your using, 5" ?

My large-scale TID Build Website: http://www.tizdaz.co.uk/forum

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/RCTidTug/

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 10:17:09 pm »

Some of the superstructure build pics

Hatches for the Engine...Made simply form scrap peices of plywood and brass

More Hatches

Parts of the deck cranes..2 were made

The superstructure

Stern Grating that goes over the exosed steering gear

This was simply made from a frame then covered with some planking

Dave

tizdaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boom!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 10:18:31 pm »

yeh for the deck i may have to do the same but im going to be using 5mm ply for my deck as i wont be glassing it like you have done so i will need the extra thickness for stiffness/strength etc :)

Facebook:

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 10:44:15 pm »

Right then lets get up to speed on this build.

A New shaft was purchased off Steve's Model Boat bits a heavy duty one that is Guaranteed not to bend like the old one...This was simply caused by a golf buggy motor on 24v !!!!...The new one will never bend as it has been built using a 12mm stainless steel inner turned down to a 6mm end and the same for the prop.

Propshaft is being supported by a scrap piece of wood bonded to the hull with P40.This as you can all see is held down wth some brass bent over to help stabeise the shaft and prevent shaft oscilation

This pic shows the new shaft arrangement and also the rudder Shaft bearer,you will see that the upermost Support has already been Attatched to the hull this was done by simply drilling the wood that has been shaped and glueing in the bolts using 2 part epoxy and P40,the lower part still has to be made...the brass strap that is at present seen in the pic will be removed when the lower part is made But a new one will be put form top to bottom to sanwich the shaft to the rudder/Shaft strengtheners.

This is the lower rudder shaft bearing that has been Silver soldered to the brass lower keel of the Rudder.

Dave

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 11:05:51 pm »

Right Motor wise I will be using a direct drive Robbe 1000 motor which should be correct for this tug.......If not I will go with a rather Large Brushless Motor.
All the electrics will be 12v Running all ACTion Electronics...well it would be rude not to do so as they all in the drawer ready to go.

The Esc is a special one off that our Mr Milbs built for me and his words were blow this up you hooligan....MMMMM I FAILED. {-) ....There will Obviously be Navigation lights switched by an ACTion switcher....A P100 Noisy thing with a steam Whistle,fog horn and Engine sounds.....There will Be another switcher for the Pump or the fire Hydrant........If necc I will use pump to cool the motor if it gets hot at all this will be connected to a seperate Esc by means of a y lead so the cooling water should be proportional to the Engine speed.

I am rather hoping to have this finished for the Elsmere Port Show a tall ask but I think it is possible.....If it is not ready it will Definatly be ready for a little Challenge Me and Alandebsnal have got planned in june...a 24 hour tug pull round Llanberis lake...Alan is bringing his Tid up and we are going to pull his Inflatable around the lake with Both Tids...MORE of that laters

OH and YES it WILL be at Wikki this year

Dave

tizdaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boom!
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 11:24:05 pm »

hiya mate, what did you use for the lower shaft bearing that the shaft sits in that you silver soldered in this pic?

Facebook:

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 11:34:51 pm »

OH and YES it WILL be at Wikki this year

Dave

Ohhh I'm looking forward to seeing her Dave. Don't think I've actually seen one of these beauties completed yet. Following you eagerly  :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Stavros

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 11:35:24 pm »

I used an Old prop shaft bearing that was sleved to fit the shaft of the rudder.The actual top mounting of the rudder shaft (which I will put pics up tomorrow as camera batts went flat !!!).This is made up of a 4mm propshaft that I had in the spares box which I cut dwon to suit and will be bonded to the hull with P40....I might get the rudder silver soldered to the shaft tomorrow night If time permitts

Dave

Stavros

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 11:37:34 pm »

Ohhh I'm looking forward to seeing her Dave. Don't think I've actually seen one of these beauties completed yet. Following you eagerly  :-))

Well One has been down sailing at Wicksted a few years ago as Alan of the rather large frigate Type 41? had his sailing down there.

Just for you

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/wicksteed/2010/water/imagepages/image57.html

Dave

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 11:45:45 pm »

Well One has been down sailing at Wicksted a few years ago as Alan of the rather large frigate Type 41? had his sailing down there.

Just for you

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/wicksteed/2010/water/imagepages/image57.html

Dave

I was probably a bit uh what's the word... tipsy! %)
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 12:05:28 am »

Hiya Stavros, this looks very interesting - I'll tag along and maybe pick up some ideas/hints/tips. One I've taken already is the stubby pencil rig, for marking deck to superstructure line, simple but brilliant. O0

Regards,

Ray.

tizdaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boom!
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 01:49:17 am »

Hiya Stavros, this looks very interesting - I'll tag along and maybe pick up some ideas/hints/tips. One I've taken already is the stubby pencil rig, for marking deck to superstructure line, simple but brilliant. O0

Regards,

Ray.

2nd this, very nice lil trick ;)

Facebook:

Stavros

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 09:57:22 pm »

Right then sorry if the pics are slightly out of sequence ...but it seems I did not take any more pics of the build so I am trying to play catch up

Pic of Deck to superstructure coaming.The was done simply by screwing through the deck to some 1x1inch pine and then simply glueing and screwing the Coaming to it....this still needs to be tidy'ed up.

Picture of the Water Tank....the bolt heads have ben made by using the heads of ordinarry dress maker pins

Dummy steam whislte fitted to oneside of the Funnel,as you can see the other is work in Progress

Rear Towing Bollard,this was made by drilling some Brass tube and simply insering another through it...This was soldered with a 100watt soldering iron and ordinary solder

4 mooring posts...yet again a simple affair cross drilled tube and Soldered

Mast detail

This pic shows how tight it is for access at the stern once the deck is fitted and with me having such large hands beleive you me is not much fun

So the rudder build starts in earnest,Right this is a shot of the top rudder shaft bearing,simply constructed by cutting down a M4 shafted propshaft,This has a total lenght of approx 40mm,If you decide to do this you will need to cut the shaft accuratly an straight...easy to acheieve with a tube cutter,the baering is so so easy to get out ...simply use a drift and tap out,and yes you guessed it tap it into the new shaft

The Rudder components,This consits of a shaft,Main rudder plate...made using an old Door finger plate,3 shaft to rudder hindges.The hindges were made using brass strip cut to length and simply using a vice and a hammer to shape them,These of course will be silver soldered and not ordinary solder as this would simply be not strong enough

The rudder trial fitted to the hull.....There is still work to be done to the hindges cleaning and trueing them up before they will be Silver soldered to the shaft

Dave

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 10:22:17 pm »

having such large hands beleive you me is not much fun

Dave

...as can be seen in that last pic {-)

Coming along slowly but surely - she's not bad when you consider her 5 years in the poky.

Regards,

Ray.

tizdaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boom!
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2016, 02:32:15 am »

what thickness is the brass for your rudder dude?

im thinking of using 2mm?

Facebook:

Stavros

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2016, 08:09:18 pm »

After around an Hour it was cleaned up

Dave

Stavros

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2016, 08:19:31 pm »

Yes it is made form 2mm Brass Plate

Well to be perfectly honest with you guys I could have done with some Oxtacetaline today to silver solder this shaft and rudder plate together as I required a lot of heat to melt the solder,but I managed it in the end...

1st pic is the rudder assembly prior to it being cleaned up

2nd pic after an hour of cleaning up

Dave

tizdaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boom!
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2016, 09:09:39 pm »

top job there dude ;)

ive just ordered some brass sheet so will be making my rudder in the week, at the mo i'm just getting the beams & base of hull sorted etc :)

Facebook:

tizdaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boom!
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2016, 11:48:24 pm »

What Width/Thickness is the brass piece for your skeg, is is 10mm width & 2mm thick fella?

ta!

Facebook:

Stavros

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2016, 09:47:44 pm »

Well after yeasterday's Fiasco of getting thing totally wrong and throwing around 5 flippin bullwark templates cos Dave got it wrong and then to cap it all I got the steps totally wrong I just wondered what could possibly go wrong tonight....So I decided to start on the woodwork on the bridge...what could possibly go wrong !!!!!!

1st job was to Mark all around where the wood was to go and also the door to the Bridge

Right then as you all can see there is a radius around the bridge so we have 2 options available to us,either fill the radius out so you have a 90 degree corner....well that would be cheating and an easy way out..OR bend the wood round the corner.Anyone who has tried to bend wood cold knows what happens it splits,so what can we do...Well there is only one course of action left.Steam it or soak it in water...the wood I am using is 1/32 thick planks...To Be honest with you I am not a great beleiver in getting wood soaking wet.....But as I did work in a boat yard and had to bend teak planks around the deck edge by means of a steamer.
Now how can we steam wood...you either make a proper enclosed steamer or you simply get the old camping stove and a kettle out......You simply boil the kettle and leave it on the boil so it produces steam,Now for heavens sake BE CAREFUL when doing this as you can get SERIOUSLY HURT if you do not be careful......If you get hurt after this article I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE.
The plank needs to be steamed for  a couple of mins till it becomes soft now the trickk here is to work fast and carefully...clamping as you go and not to be too greedy...if it does'nt feel right STOP and resteam(MM DAVE why didnt you),do one side at a time ...wait 5 mins then simply do the other side,if when you remove the clamps the first side straightens up simply resteam it clamp up and pull gently round the other side.

I will confess one little thing here I did make a right pigs ear of this and had to scrap 4 before I got it right...I can obviously use these bits to do the planking so all is not lost

Steaming in progress

1st side bent

2nd Side

This will now be left to dry overnight and it will retain its shape and will be glued to the superstructure with Zap superglue.
And before anyone picks up that the wood is not straight on the bridge front...I know and Ive been out to the shed to correct this so it will be ready for tomorrow !!!!!

Whilst this was drying I started on the rear of the Bridge so a door frame was made using 1/8 mahogany strips,ready to be planked,All around the bridge will have to be individually planked right up to the roof.

Now here lies a bit of a problem as the roof of the bridge is square and it should have a radius on it...This I will show you how to do at the next installment

Dave

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2016, 09:46:50 am »

Looking good young Dave.

Nice piece of engineering.    :-))

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2016, 05:02:36 pm »

Hope to see you at Ellsmere Port, even if not compleated

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Stavros

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2016, 10:39:06 pm »

Right then Proof of the pudding so to speak....after 24 hours the wood has dried out and has retained it's shape after steaming

Now glued to the bridge

Dave
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.