Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Tid Tug 164 Build Models By Design...The BIG UN  (Read 32070 times)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Tid Tug 164 Build Models By Design...The BIG UN
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2017, 06:39:52 pm »

by its coming along good that my mate - cracking job on the bulwarks

gives us an idea of the size of this model - seeing a Stanley Knife at the bottom of the hull  :-) what I would like to know is how much are you going to pay the crane driver to lift in and out of the water - few broken backs around the lakeside. :-)   :-) :-) :} :} :} :} :} :} :} {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2017, 09:26:06 pm »

Hi Stavros, lovely job mate, you mention etch primer, not ordinary primer, whats the difference???

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Stavros

« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2017, 09:57:40 pm »

Ah ha someone picked up on it .......Etch primer is used to make sure the paint sticks to the surface you are painting,it is ideal for brass,aliminium,white metal.
The only reason i used it was simple...I had run out of primer and I did'nt want to go 5 miles to get some!!!!!....The main reason for painting today was to see what work I have to do ........it is THINNER than primer and shows up all the rubbing down marks etc far better than primer,most of it will be rubbed off when I get it ready for paint.

I will probably use 2 pack primer filler on the whole hull sprayed with a professional spray gun...the main reason is simple really...the sheer size of this Tug as it is 6 feet long and will be cheaper in the long run especially as I want a baby smooth finish.

The red antifouling will be Halfords red Plastic primer and the Satin Black will probably be U Pol Satin black...this covers very easily and is a really strong black as well....The deck will probably end up a light green ...the superstructure and Bulwarks will be Ford Sahara Beige as that is the closest colour that I can find to the original

Dave

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2017, 10:05:36 pm »

Thanks for that Dave, another question, i have a plastic hulled tug, sprayed with grey primer, it is flaking off in a number of places, is this lack of surface prep or should i use a flexible paint for plastic before the primer?

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Stavros

« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2017, 10:11:39 pm »

Yes it is either bad prep and it would really help adhesion if you used a plastic primer on it first

Dave

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2017, 10:27:17 pm »

Lathes are great, definitly worth saving up for as you can make loads of useful bits in them. I love the information on the navigation lights and also how the hook developed into a model engineering project  :-))

Brilliant progress Dave, I can't wait to see it in May.
Pond weed is your enemy

Stavros

« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2017, 02:19:13 pm »

Well this stuff arrived this afternoon........think I might just have to have a play later on afterMrsStav comeshome and relieves me from childminding duties

Dave

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2017, 02:45:43 pm »

that looks interesting, Stavros. is that resin, and how long does it take to cure.

I look forward to seeing your fittings. Are you going to cast the brass parts as well that you made earlier.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Stavros

« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2017, 02:52:28 pm »

Yes it is resin Jim apparantly it takes 10 to 15 mins to set...and as to Casting the brass fitings that I have made the simple and really is no.

Dave

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2017, 06:13:40 pm »

Dave,
 if your casting  always have a spare mould near you as you always mix a little to much (which is better then to little)
 means at the price you pay for the stuff  nothings wasted by the way may i ask where you got it and how much you paid and I may be wrong but I have been told this stuff only has a self life of six months so I only buy 500m or 1kg bottles hope am wrong on this, I know the clear resin I have has thickend up over the last year while we have moved.

Regards Howard.

captain bligh

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats oh'd av um
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2017, 06:59:57 pm »

CFS fibreglass is where you get it from Howard they do a mail order service.There all the time being a boat builder spot on firm :-))
Mike
It's not a bad man who makes a mistake its a good man who can get over it.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2017, 07:12:34 pm »

Thank you Mike,
I'll give them a look I've been getting mine from  a company in Northern Ireland and I must say have been very good so will check there prices.

Regards Howard.

captain bligh

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats oh'd av um
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2017, 08:17:59 pm »

£22.50 inc vat probably some carriage to Howard for the same 2kg pack same as Stavros.I'll be interested in seeing how the casting turns out always thought of trying but never got round to it %)
Mike
It's not a bad man who makes a mistake its a good man who can get over it.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2017, 08:24:11 pm »

Mike,
 It's very easy I do lots  I make a master then make as many as I need. And what you say looks a lot cheaper then what I've been paying diff going to check them out.

Regards Howard.

Stavros

« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2017, 09:34:04 pm »

The resin has cost me £30 including postage and packing,that is for a 2kg pack which is the smallest they do,and yes unfortuantly there is a six month shelf life...so I plan to use the whole lot up and then sell what I have left over to recoop the price of the resin and then anything I do after that all the proceeds will go to the RNLI.....anyone need some 1/12th vents and funnels then please contact me !!!

I have made 4 batches up tonight but as Photobucket is down I cant put the pics up....hence the reason there are no pics on the thread

Dave

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2017, 10:26:31 pm »

Dave,
 As I have said before I got from Polycraft in Northern Ireland  good prices more so for water clear and in smaller amounts down to 250m if I remember  but postage is £7.99  no matter what but always packed and posted quickly.

Regards Howard.

Stavros

« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2017, 08:24:24 am »

Well here we are the pics of the casting.
To be  honest I was very lucky in that the aerosol tops were a perfect amount to fill all the moulds up in one mix....begginers luck without a doubt

Waiting for the resin to cure

Wey hey it has worked

I made up 4 mixes last night

I will be casting another 4 mixes up today of the small Gnv vents,obviously all the vents are going to need cleaning up this is  a simple process of rubbing down with some 240 grit.

Dave

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2017, 10:08:40 am »

That looks good Dave.  I'm very interested in your results.  You'll have to let us know how sturdy and workable the final piece comes out.

Cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Stavros

« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2017, 12:55:57 pm »

Sturdy is an understatement 100% success rate......very easyto works the resin an hour after comming out of the mould...tried some of yesterdays and still very easy to work and sand

Dave

Tid 65

« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2017, 10:40:24 pm »

Hi stavros been looking at your build,great.if you are going to to Ellesmere Port show please come and say hello even if you have not finished TID tug,mines 14th scale and scratch built but be even better if yours was done and on the water.

Stavros

« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2017, 08:51:52 pm »

On wards and upwards so they say so on we go.....the job in hand this weekend was to not only get the Propshaft in the hull but get the rudder installed and a Platform made for the rudder servo and electrics

First job was to get the rudder and support post epoxied in so a box was made and epoxy was poured into it

The Propshaft was taped up underneath to stop the P40 just dropping through the hole...Insulating tape was used for this

Yet again a little box was made up of scrap plywood to make sure a block of P40 formed around the shaft...also the shaft support had P40 also applied to it

The Shaft bottom support was made using some pine and through screwed to the rudder skeg,and also supported by means of some brass strip

Dave

Stavros

« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2017, 09:08:36 pm »

Filler was then applied to the skeg and shaft

This was quickly followed by a good coat of etch primer

Rudder linkages were made up and fixed to the rudder post

A solid servo mounting was needed as the Barn door rudder puts a lot of strain on the mounting point so some rather agricultural looking frame was constructed out of 20x20 pine this was screwed actually to one of the deck beams the feet of this will be set into P40 at a later date

This has had a piece of plywood fixed  to it to not only hold the servo but the Esc and receiver...but that might change ...a Hole has already been cut for a servo

Rough idea of where everything might go

Next job is the Horrible one in my mind...A motor mount has to be made BUT the major problem is two fold really ....only 5mm underneath it and not only that but it has not got any mounting points ...so thinking cap is now on

Dave

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2017, 03:21:52 pm »

Looks like a cradle and strap arrangement will do the job as motor mount.
Pond weed is your enemy

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2017, 03:26:37 pm »

Hi Dave, is that the battery that you will be using in the TID? if so wont it cause problems with stability, being so high in the hull????

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Stavros

« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2017, 05:04:45 pm »

I had this batt in her before and I also  run the same batt in the Happy Hunter thats over 5 feet long as well

Dave
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.